Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LAST resolve

+5
Dalelad
Poppyanna555
Hinch
cyfrifia
Old Regulator
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LAST resolve Empty LAST resolve

Post  Old Regulator Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Now dear reader I am not one for making resolutions, new year or anytime, but in a spirit of good intentions I have resolved to form a League.   It will be the League Against Stupid Trends (LAST) and with your help will, I sincerely hope, cure our society of the sheep like adherents to do what ever the media or worse celebrities, suggest.   My belief of an alarming number of the population being doped, or duped?, with the current version of the Opiate, yes the Marx one, into stupid trends has at last overcome my sense of ‘leaving them alone’.

You, dear reader, can assist this humble academic in research, and who knows ACTION, to guide the less enlightened in our midst as to the stupidity of not thinking, or perhaps not using the knowledge gained over their life time, to avoid making an idiot of themselves in public and recording it for posterity, posterior use?.

I will as the founder member of LAST begin a list of stupid trends which I hope you will add to.

Anyone whose voice inflection raises at the end of a sentence.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

LAST resolve Empty Re: LAST resolve

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:32 pm

There are people who have a genuine local accent with that inflection at the end of a sentence, from Gloucestershire area. However they should be issued with a special license for it.

Why have people started saying 'speak to' when they mean 'speak about' ? That can go on the list.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Old Regulator wrote:  Now dear reader I am not one for making resolutions, new year or anytime, but in a spirit of good intentions I have resolved to form a League.   It will be the League Against Stupid Trends (LAST) and with your help will, I sincerely hope, cure our society of the sheep like adherents to do what ever the media or worse celebrities, suggest.   My belief of an alarming number of the population being doped, or duped?, with the current version of the Opiate, yes the Marx one, into stupid trends has at last overcome my sense of ‘leaving them alone’.

You, dear reader, can assist this humble academic in research, and who knows ACTION, to guide the less enlightened in our midst as to the stupidity of not thinking, or perhaps not using the knowledge gained over their life time, to avoid making an idiot of themselves in public and recording it for posterity, posterior use?.

I will as the founder member of LAST begin a list of stupid trends which I hope you will add to.

Anyone whose voice inflection raises at the end of a sentence.

Wearing knee-high crotch pants ?    Laughing 
LAST resolve Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr7oV2P1w-jMfEEJOrl9ABJCo5QkvCBP09gd_WLHjlx0CGSgGYLAST resolve VlU3b6fki0

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Not a fan of Robert Preston from Radio 4's 'Today' programme then OR?

I hate those who think that textspeak and the Queen's English are somehow interchangeable. (My daughter is one.)

G'nite. CU soon.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:52 pm

My mate says the weather is very 'incremental' when he means it's pissing down.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Spitting  Rolling Eyes
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:49 pm

'Can I get' rather than 'Can I have'
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:56 pm

People who ring and say, "Dad, can you ring me straight back? My phone's nearly out of credit."
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  davelee Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:10 pm

People who say train station.
davelee
davelee

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:52 am

People who say 'train' when they mean 'locomotive'.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:23 pm

MoJo Hill wrote:
Old Regulator wrote:
Now dear reader I am not one for making resolutions, new year or anytime, but in a spirit of good intentions I have resolved to form a League.   It will be the League Against Stupid Trends (LAST) and with your help will, I sincerely hope, cure our society of the sheep like adherents to do what ever the media or worse celebrities, suggest.   My belief of an alarming number of the population being doped, or duped?, with the current version of the Opiate, yes the Marx one, into stupid trends has at last overcome my sense of ‘leaving them alone’.

Anyone whose voice inflection raises at the end of a sentence

LAST resolve Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr7oV2P1w-jMfEEJOrl9ABJCo5QkvCBP09gd_WLHjlx0CGSgGYLAST resolve VlU3b6fki0

MoJo. please give visual clue.  Being blind, I am told I am missing 'onesys' 'builders bums, jeans below cleavage, selfies and the never to be seen  'twirking', again posterior based Matron tells me.

agree with Dave Lee about Train Station.

Matrons anger with 'should of' meaning should have.

another from me.

the BBC News being used as a celebrity outlet, some poor driver has hurt himself skiing for example.

and after last night, people who you have never known, and usually don't want to, wishing you 'all the best' and kissing you, the women are as bad!

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm

People who say, "Have a nice day!" or "Love you lots."

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Old Regulator wrote:
MoJo Hill wrote:
MoJo. please give visual clue.     Being blind I am told I am missing 'onesys' 'builders bums, jeans below cleavage, selfies and the never to be seen  'twirking', again posterior based Matron tells me

Mmm.  No, your Matron's posteria-based clues don't really fit, as :-

Twerking is a type of dancing involving thrusting hip movements.
A Onesie is an adult jumpsuit - with the top and leggings/pants combined into a single garment, used for sleepwear, casual wear and outerwear.
The exposure of the crack between the buttocks when wearing low-cut pants is sometimes called a Butt Cleavage.

Salty: there are a few styles in the 'clothing' trend of drop crotch pants.    Think of Harem pants and/or a big baggy nappy to start with, going down from around the waist towards the knee level, after which the same cloth may tailor in tightly onto the leg calf(s), to look like partial, tight trouser legs - aka drop crop pants.
The casual, very plain style of drop crop pants is perhaps easier to cue to
LAST resolve Kc7727_a
No, I don't know the answer to a 'nature' next question.       Hope the above helps clarify

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 am

Mojo Hill wrote:
Old Regulator wrote:
MoJo Hill wrote:
MoJo. please give visual clue.     Being blind I am told I am missing 'onesys' 'builders bums, jeans below cleavage, selfies and the never to be seen  'twirking', again posterior based Matron tells me

Mmm.  No, your Matron's posteria-based clues don't really fit, as :-

Twerking is a type of dancing involving thrusting hip movements.
A Onesie is an adult jumpsuit - with the top and leggings/pants combined into a single garment, used for sleepwear, casual wear and outerwear.
The exposure of the crack between the buttocks when wearing low-cut pants is sometimes called a Butt Cleavage.

Salty: there are a few styles in the 'clothing' trend of drop crotch pants.    Think of Harem pants and/or a big baggy nappy to start with, going down from around the waist towards the knee level, after which the same cloth may tailor in tightly onto the leg calf(s), to look like partial, tight trouser legs - aka drop crop pants.
The casual, very plain style of drop crop pants is perhaps easier to cue to LAST resolve Kc7727_a
No, I don't know the answer to a 'nature' next question.      Hope the above helps clarify

Thanks MoJo.      And people actually go out in public dressed in these ‘styles’?    Ye Gods!

Another from me.

Loud mouthed blokes in their 50s swearing very loud in the pubs and anywhere else in fact.   In the New Inn we refer to these low life as Goomers.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm

LAST resolve _71920765_71920764

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/25434700

The BBC advises us to resolve to be much more savvy with our money and not be fleeced, in particular to haggle over the price of things.

The British are reserved about haggling, and may not think it polite, but, when buying from people from cultures where haggling is normal, it's the reverse. Haggling is part of normal social discourse, is considered a politeness, and a form of entertainment.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am

We were taught that it was 'bad form' to haggle over a price given or displayed. I remember it caused quite a lot of disquiet and resentment in the early 60's when the first 'tranche' of immigrants arrived in the town from Pakistan and proceeded to enact business in this fashion. None of us could quite understand why when a 'fixed price' was given they wanted to haggle for reductions - . Didn't compute. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I still refuse to 'haggle'. Not in my culture.Suspect Suspect
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 am

and yet, most of us do haggle to some extent when making really big purchases, such as houses or second hand cars. I also haggle at things like car boot sales.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 am

Yes I suppose that's true when large sums are involved. I wouldn't however haggle at normal purchases. It really isn't in my way of polite social discourse at all. Shocked Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:37 am

davelee wrote:

People who say train station.

Ha ha. I see RO has a story on the Calder Valley line with a photo captioned 'Rochdale train station''.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 am

Trains stop at train stations and are stationary, they stay still so you can get on them, so, what's the problem with train station?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:33 pm

cyfrifia wrote:

Trains stop at train stations and are stationary, they stay still so you can get on them, so, what's the problem with train station?

Nothing.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Old Regulator wrote:

+      The obscenely high sums of money paid to (and transfer fees for) ' Footballers,'      

and the failure of clubs to boot them out when they fail to meet good standards of behaviour, as role models on and off the field, that youngsters / fans can be encouraged to emulate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:12 pm

People on forums who stray from the intended 'light hearted’ topic.  You know who you are !

Another from me

Mums who get ‘very cross’, as in “mummy is very cross now.”  This after her highchair offspring had thrown 3 menu holders, including menus,  across the room, Brighouse Spoons yesterday.  And the accompanying doting grandma making stupid excuses, “she’s not usually like this.”  Begging the question from your reporter “Who, the baby or mother?”

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 am

Am I missing something?....what IS wrong with using the term 'train station'?  Shocked

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am

Poppyanna555 wrote:Am I missing something?....what IS wrong with using the term 'train station'?  Shocked 

I think it's a 'boys with toys' thing.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum