Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of being a victim of crime

3 posters

Go down

Cost of being a victim of crime Empty Cost of being a victim of crime

Post  Old Regulator Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm

I know that the police are a little strapped for cash but what has just happened to a family member is causing us some bewilderment.

His only transport to work, his scooter, was stolen from inside his locked garage last month.  During a police action in Falinge, his bike was recovered by an ‘under cover’ officer and a bobby promptly visited him with the news and questions as to the thieves. He had spotted them riding the bike an hour after the theft was discovered, the period lapsed used to ‘hot start’ the bike.  The bobby radioed details and asked if he would give evidence and was assured 'yes'.

Today, after many phone calls about the return of his property, it was discovered it was in a compound in Stakehill, Oh joy no more bus fares.

On arrival at said compound, he was advised of a £10 per day ‘storage’ charge, 17 days, waived for lack of letter from the police and a £150 ‘recovery’ fee, non negotiable.

So, he has had to pay his bus fare to work since the bike was stolen, has lost a couple of days work and will have to pay for the damage to the scooter. Insurance has a £300 excess and he has now to pay £150 to get his property back.

Has anyone on here any experience of this procedure?  If the scum bags do get to court, could a charge be levied in costs to him?  

Evenin' all as dear old Jack used to say in Doxen of dick green.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Cost of being a victim of crime Empty Re: Cost of being a victim of crime

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 pm

And who says crime doesn't pay!

THINKS: I must be more public spirited. I know, I'll rent a plot of cheap land, put a sign on it saying, "Hinch's Vehicle Compound (Stradhoughton) Ltd" and then 'work in partnership' with Dibble Enterprises Inc to help reunite the recently robbed with their motors, charging only a nominal sum, plus VAT, plus commission, plus documentation charge and handling fee, plus interest of Wonga.com per cent.

Simples.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 pm

have done a little digging around here Old Regurgitator.

Sounds like they should waive the Recovery Charge owing to their own or the police officer in case's procedural default in notifying the owner, just as soon as possible, that the scooter vehicle was both there & available for collection.

The owner should have been given a FWIN when the theft was first reported. (This will be a number and the date)  He should also have been given a crime number.   

Might be useful to formally ask the local Dibble if the original FWIN for theft was updated when the scooter was later "discovered," along with particulars of where the vehicle was taken to, etc..

Court-ordered compo?  That's like peeing in the wind.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Stand your ground whilst you challenge their errors. I won't crack any "on your bike" puns  Wink

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down