Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scam please be warned !

5 posters

Go down

Scam please be warned !    Empty Scam please be warned !

Post  Jeanie Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Scam please be warned !

Please be warned tonight I was subject to a very serious scam thankfully I didn't fall for it ! I received a phone call from a guy saying he was from The Telephone Preference Scheme and said He believed I was getting a number of unwanted calls and some of them were they International I said yes I do receive quite a few , He said they were from Asia and Indonesia and that as I was already on their list he would speak to his supervisor and ring me back. Ten minutes later a woman phoned and said she was from the TPS and that she could stop these unwanted calls but there would be a small charge of £1-90 per month £69 for the first 3 years then it would be free,I told her no thanks I would look into it and she slammed the phone down ! The Telephone Preference Scheme (TPS) is a completely free service and would never ask anyone for money .
Can you imagine the consequences to anyone falling for this scam and giving details which apparently loads already have fallen victim to these low life scum !!!
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Scam please be warned !    Empty Re: Scam please be warned !

Post  Hinch Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 am

Not heard of this scam before Jeanie. Thanks for the tip off.

Unfortunately, the TPS is the most useless service going. Have been a subscriber for years yet still get up to half a dozen calls a day starting with that familiar long silence before a voice with a south east Asian accent comes on saying, "Hello Meester Hinchleefe and how are we today?"
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 am

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

I am receiving a daily E-mail from HmRC (inland revenue) informing I have filled in my tax return wrongly and they owe me money. Bit odd really I have not filled in a tax return for 20 years and I know if the tax folk want to contact me they would write. It has an attachment with it as well!

I note that Jim Dobbins request to the minister of xxx for an answer to his question regarding ‘scam’ E-mails has not yet been answered from January.

As to phone calls like Hinch I get a couple a week if I hear long silence I just stay quiet for a while then ask how do they like it, I know it is sad but whatever gets you through the day.

That reminds me that nice chap from Nigeria who was going to send me millions of pounds has not put it into my bank yet, might be busy?

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 pm

The UK gets a huge amount of these automated silent and scam calls every day, and has done for some years. Many people are victims of such scams and it's a million pound industry.

It's a pity British Telecom are unable to trace the calls and to stop them. Perhaps they could consider employing an engineer who is something of an expert with telephone systems.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks for the warning Jeannie, I don't think I would have fallen for it either but there are many that will.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down