Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long gone Rochdale

+5
moterbiklist
Atlas
Dalelad
Charly
Hinch
9 posters

Go down

Which one of the following would you have saved from demolition?

Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap28%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 5 ]
Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap6%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap28%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 5 ]
Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap6%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap17%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 3 ]
Long gone Rochdale Vote_lcap17%Long gone Rochdale Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

Long gone Rochdale Empty Long gone Rochdale

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Which building would you have saved from the wrecker's ball if you could?

Enter the poll or suggest your own favourite and I will see if I can add it.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Long gone Rochdale Empty Re: Long gone Rochdale

Post  Charly Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm a foreigner Very Happy who's only lived in Rochdale for 30 years or so.
Cant remember anything other than the baths.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I'd have liked to still have all of them. I wasn't around when the Hippodrome burned down, but it would be great to have a proper theatre in the town.
I'd have saved the others as they had a lot more character than what replaced them.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Dalelad wrote: I wasn't around when the Hippodrome burned down.

So you say DaleLad. So you say...

Methinks the DaleLad doth protest too much.

I mean, nobody actually asked him, "Where were you when the Hippodrome burned down?"
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm saying nothing..
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 am

Dalelad wrote:I'd have liked to still have all of them. I wasn't around when the Hippodrome burned down, but it would be great to have a proper theatre in the town.
I'd have saved the others as they had a lot more character than what replaced them.

The only decent theatre we had was the Theatre Royal which stood on the cattle market - now the site of the Police Station or thereabouts. I watched it burn as a young kid. Great balls of fire and plenty more. Sad. It stood burnt out and derilict for years before they finally cleared the site. Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  moterbiklist Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

hinch as i went to the same school and possibly the same class, you know where i am coming from. maybe its looking through rose tinted specs
but rochdale now has no soul or character. to me you cant have the outside market without the inside market, remember the arcade with the model shop at the bottom of the market steps
moterbiklist
moterbiklist

Back to top Go down

Post  Ann M Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Despite being unable to sing or dance I was in the chorus of The White Horse Inn at the Hippodrome.I remember going to watch something obviously unmemorable at Theatre Royal as a very young child.
Also the excitement when the Fair came onto the old cattle market, the outside market, the stairs up to the covered market, the side entrance to Boots, the colours, sounds and smells of fish stalls,boiled sweets, and of course the butchers (Matthews) as you walked through onto Toad Lane. That was another memorable area.

Ann M
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Ann M wrote:Despite being unable to sing or dance I was in the chorus of The White Horse Inn at the Hippodrome.I remember going to watch something obviously unmemorable at Theatre Royal as a very young child.
Also the excitement when the Fair came onto the old cattle market, the outside market, the stairs up to the covered market, the side entrance to Boots, the colours, sounds and smells of fish stalls,boiled sweets, and of course the butchers (Matthews) as you walked through onto Toad Lane. That was another memorable area.

My thoughts as well Ann x
Just love your aviator so cute Smile
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Ann M wrote:Despite being unable to sing or dance I was in the chorus of The White Horse Inn at the Hippodrome.I remember going to watch something obviously unmemorable at Theatre Royal as a very young child.

Ah now Ann. Do you remember the black pea tent at the old fairground? It was always over at the far end towards the library. You sat on planks slung between barrels and ate your peas out of white bowls. I felt so grown up when my Dad took me in there for the first time.

There was also a large octopus in a sort of canvas-sided bath. It looked like a sort of large, sad, brown-paper bag.

All great fun.

Last edited by hinch on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 am

On Wednesday nights at 6-30pm the Black Pea Man would arrive trundling his bicycle over the cobbles of Hope Street and ringing his bell with one hand as he tries to negotiate the rutted potholes with the other. A pint mug full then separated into 4 helpings once back inside the house. Add vinegar and salt if required then proceed to mulch the lot up into a fine purple mass before devouring with lips akimbo. God - what luxuries we had in the old days. Razz
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Ann M Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:18 pm

No Hinch, but I do remember the call of the ragbone man and the exchange of 'donkey stones' when I visited my Aunt Alice at Pearl street next to Rochdale Football Ground.

I think it was possibly Carol's dad (my next door neighbour) who was the black pea man you mention.

Ann M
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:18 pm

My Grandad was the Rag & Bone man he lived at 5 Rooley Moor Road !

I used to go round with him on his horse & cart handing out balloons and step stone cleaners when he came to Belfield we were the best dressed kids in the town Smile
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am

Theres many other places that could have been on the list. The Charlton for one, or one of the other cinemas such as the Rialto at top of Drake Street.

Rochdale Rail station is due for re working soon so that could be changing forever. Speaking of which what happened to the monument that stood in the middle of the roundabout opposite the Station? I suspect that the Fire Station is next for the wrecking ball once it gets sold.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I do honestly believe though the getting rid of the old markets was what started the decline. Drake Street and Yorkshire St began to decline as people did not go into town as much. Maybe also the buses moved from the town centre to the new bus station at the time had an effect. Obviously when the old markets came down, pubs then were then demolished etc.

Can someone please tell me what pubs and other buildings went because of the Markets going? Did the markets both go at the same time?

I asked this earlier on, can someone please tell me when the Odeon opposite the Navigation Pub shut down and the ABC (Regal Moon)? These are the only two cinemas I can remember. Was it the 70's for Odeon and 80s for ABC?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Was the Rialto, the Odeon or a different cinema. If so how long had it been the Odeon?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:10 pm

The old markets had reached their sell-by date and the area around the bottom market and arcade had been badly damaged by fire in around 1950.

However, it was what they replaced them with really put the lid on it. Up went the rents, down went the quality and diversity and off went the shoppers to spend their money in places with more imaginative councils.

Why would anyone want to shop on Rochdale Market when Bury is only a few miles away?

And yet, there is some quality left such as Smedleys Fruit & Veg. A great outdoor and indoor market should lie at the heart of any town centre redevelopment. Without it, Rochdale town centre is doomed forever to be a dreary, run-down place full of pawnbrokers, charity shops, phone shops and pound shops. We need a good market and a town centre in which good quality, independent local retailers can thrive.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Yes the replacement was and still is awful. Smedleys is brilliant.
I think we should have a market in the town centre possibly on the Butts, or Town Hall square-maybe both.
Have you got answers to the questions I asked?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:33 pm

No. I left Rochdale in 77 and did not return until the 90's so I am not sure. Yes, the Odeon was formerly called the Rialto.

Pubs that went included, the Duke of Wellington at the bottom of Blackwater St. Red Lion, White Horse, Coach and Horses and of course, the Clock Face all on Lord Street and the Market House on Toad Lane. All ripped down to build the Exchange Shopping Centre. The Grapes and the Hole i't Wall by Bull Brow had been closed as disorderly houses for several years.

The Clock Face and the Market House were both very quirky. The Clock Face should definitely have been saved. A very noted building with great historical links.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for that., Hinch.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:43 pm

JohnB has far more knowledge about that period than I as I only came home at Christmas for about 15 years. I think that JB wanted to get out but couldn't afford the bus-fare.

I think that Rochdale did need a modern, mall-type shopping area to be honest so I don't necessarily think it was a bad idea in some ways but it came at a dreadful cost as far as the markets were concerned. The massive decline in the textile industry didn't help. Rochdale has always been 'up against it' in economic terms but the closure of virtually all of the remaining mills from the late-60's through to the early-mid 80's was almost the final nail in the coffin.

The Clock Face could have been incorporated into a new centre fairly easily. It had no great architectural merit but it was steeped in history and was a very visible reminder of a past that was worth preserving. The Market House, as JeanneP likes to recall, was an ale-house only... though you could get an under-the-counter nip of Bells if you were in the know. Heavily used by the market traders and the place was always abuzz with their tales in a way that The Unicorn in Manchester still is.

The times they were a-changing and the past was running through our fingers like so many grains of sand though we scarcely knew it at the time.

Things need to move on but we need to keep the best of the past. There is far more to Rochdale than the Town Hall, Parish Church and the Co-op.

We really need to think about what we'd like to keep and it's not aways about the grandoise and the impressive. Just look at what 'One Ash', John Bright's house was replaced with!

There was a time when Rochdale was so closely associated with Radicalism and when Chartists went out to build bonfires on Blackstone Edge and listen to great oraters. A place where people would trudge miles from work to attend meetings or have the newspaper read out to them. A place from where John Bright fought a long and victorious battle against the Church Rate.

Eee.... I remember the time when I lived in a shoe box in't middle o't road and had hot gravel for breakfast...
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 am

HOT gravel? Come off it. Since when did yower lot have the bunce to afford coal? Show off. Sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down