Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moderation stuff

5 posters

Go down

Moderation stuff Empty Moderation stuff

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi. Am sending this as an open mail to share my thoughts re moderation. I think that we should have three or four chosen for their different views and life-experiences to balance each other out. These are already 'in post'. The Mods are not necessarily posters and have different ideas sometimes about what is acceptable and what is not. The recent grooming trial has been a case in point. How far do we let genuine debate on race and immigration issues continue before posts become obviously racist and the black-garbed, knuckle-draggers swarm round like flies round a jam pot? A really difficult judgement call at times - believe me.

As said on the 'Welcome' thread. I think that a light touch is called for. Posts do not have to be approved prior to submission and membership is open to all. Nobody has to wait for approval. We reserve the right to ban, suspend users and delete or edit posts but I assure you that this will not be done unless we feel that there are sound reasons.

I think it best that the identities of the Mods are kept confidential so that they are not constantly having to justify their decisions or are called to account when someone is not happy. When I was on RO I had more posts moderated than most and got a ban once so I know what it feels like.

Am not going to be as strict with the language as RO was. Certainly we are not going to ban 'Arsenel' and 'bloody'! However, neither do we want to encourage those who can't post without using four-letter abuse. So let's play that by ear.

Debate and discussion on virtually all topics is welcome as is a divergence of views. However, we want people to feel comfortable on here without feeling bullied or intimidated so let us try to conduct this in a way that respects each others views eh? We all have posters who drive us barmy. (I note that you can have a friends and a foes list on here.)

Suggest we suck it and see for a month and have a mods meeting in 4 weeks or so. (Good excuse for a curry eh?)

Main task at the moment is to get as many former-RO posters on as we can and for me to figure out how to use all the 'bells and whistles' on here. I want to figure out how to put topics under fifferent categories for instance so that those who find politics boring can just avoid posts under that category heading.

My main worry on here is the potential for libel so please be careful what you post. You always have email and the private message facility to swap 'interesting' or sensitive information if you feel the need to.

Let's not be too picky about spelling, grammar or punctuation. We all have different skills and abilities here and we don't want to scare people off.

If anyone has a moderation issue please send in a pm to Admin where it will be picked up and responded to ASAP but remember, we do not work to a rota and most of us have day jobs as well so please be patient with us.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Moderation stuff Empty Re: Moderation stuff

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

It would be nice to be told when and why our posts are moderated, perhaps by email.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm

That shouldn't be a problem although am not anticipating having to do many. Have always been largely against censorship anyway.

My main concerns would be to protect ourselves from legal comeback when the rule would have to be, 'when in doubt, strike it out'.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Cheers that's good.

Hopefully we can all post stuff that does not make zealots threaten libel action-maybe we should ban those that report posts to their masters, mainly political. Useful though to know if or when we have crossed any lines.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Tee hee. I usually used to know when I had crossed the line on RO. Not that it stopped me from 'pushing the envelope' now and then.

Thing to really watch out for is the late night drinker who really should toddle off to bed but decides to spend that fateful half hour on the forum. It was the spelling that gave the game away.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

I remember the 'late night drinker' No Rolling Eyes
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I seem remember 7 or 8!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:33 am

To save e-mailings every time it happens it would be wiser for the moderator to blank out the post with the line - 'moderated. please repost in a more 'moderate' style' -. Or words to that effect. Then we shall know we at least 'did' post and haven't imagined it. It rankled me with RO trying to remember had I posted or dreamt it?

Tch - I am getting old yer know. Sleep
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down