Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broad Lane Protest

+3
Atlas
johnb
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Should more homes be allowed to be built in the Broad Lane area?

Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap27%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap27%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap0%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap18%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap18%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Broad Lane Protest Vote_lcap9%Broad Lane Protest Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Broad Lane Protest Empty Broad Lane Protest

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Last edited by Admin on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Broad Lane Protest Empty Re: Broad Lane Protest

Post  johnb Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:23 pm

I think that just about covers it. The only thing is, where DO you build?
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:41 am

On 'Brownfield sites' - you have enough of them already in the town. But then the developers wouldn't be able to get the rich prices in town now would they. Woodbine Street was a typical 'brownfield/grey site'. Was there anything wrong (other than parking) with infilling the old mill sites with housing?
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am

I imagine many people would rather live in a nice new site, rather than an old brownfield site, that may not be surrounded by fields, but be in the middle of town, surrounded by buildings.
That will be one reason why the people living inthe newish development on Broad Lane chose to live there, when their houses were built on fields.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 am

What you want and what you get are often at variance DL. I would suggest instead of looking to provide the reasonably well heeled with ambiant surroundings we first concentrate on putting roofs over the heads of everyone. When that has been accomplished we can move on towards 'serving' those better off (if they haven't served themselves to a green field site in the meantime). Time to do whats 'right' FIRST. The planning authorities should start insisting - one greenfield house for one brownfield house and get the 'town' back into reasonable shape.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:04 am

We could even do both. Don't see why it has to be one or the other.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Broad Lane Protest Empty Broad Lane

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:27 am

So what is the Green Belt about then if it is protected!

We cannot just keep developing on Green Belt. If is too small as it it is. So what goes next, The parks. rest of the school playing fields, National Parks like The Lake District, farm land to grow our food, Back and front gardens.

You know with the threat of the rest of our green and pleasant land I could not blame people if they took to breaking the law and clash with the authorities and developers over protecting our green belt protected areas.

They are just as important for our health and future. You cannot just keep building. Anyway have you ever taken a walk and see how many empty buildings there are and people who have second homes hardly being used.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 am

The housing shortage could be eased somewhat if the empty buildings were brought up to standard and rented out
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:16 am

teamplayer2 wrote:So what is the Green Belt about then if it is protected!

We cannot just keep developing on Green Belt. If is too small as it it is. So what goes next, The parks. rest of the school playing fields, National Parks like The Lake District, farm land to grow our food, Back and front gardens.

We need to be very clear about this. The land ajacent to Broad Lane is NOT Green-Belt. It is what they call Protected Open Land which although, as the name suggests, it enjoys some protection in law this is very much limited. Again and again people talk about Green Belt in relation to Broad Lane. It isn't.

There is a lot of dispute over whether or not there is enough available Brown Field land available for current and future development. It costs more to develop and tends to be a less desirable environment in which to live.

I lived in the Broad Lane area when they build the first houses near the Spring Inn. At the time I was very much against it. Now that those houses have been there for about 20 years, the arguments against further development become less compelling.

I can see arguments on both sides
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 am

Lets also be realistic about this. Both the greenbelt encroachment issues and the shortage of housing are predominantly issues of the south east.

All could be solved at a stroke if major concerns could be persuaded to relocate up north. Mind you, the BBC tried and had only mixed success;

Allegedly heard from a senoir executive, 'I'm not moving THERE - it's primitive - people TALK to each other!'
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Yes, people talking to you uninvited can be a real problem JB. In my case they are usually wearing a shell-suit, holding a can of Tennants Super-Strength and asking me for my loose change.

Still, less of Tinkerbell.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 am

The real truth of the matter lies with the profit margins. There is already planning permission (in land-banks) for 400,000 houses in place as we write. Why are they not being built? Because you cannot afford to buy them. Either you haven't the deposit required or the wage structure to make the payments - because they are too expensive for the present day pocket. Why? Because there is a dearth of available/suitable properties on the market at affordable prices with the rest available out of your reach - because WE HAVE'NT ENOUGH AVAILABLE HOUSE TO GO AROUND IN THE FIRST PLACE. Why? Because a shortage keeps the prices UP and the PROFITS GOOD.
So which developer in his right mind is going to go against the trend or build house with low profit margins when all he has to do is wait for the upturn and he's quids in. If he is going to build at all it will be on the most suitable land (Green field) and at prices whereby he can make a killing. That's business.
As the British economy is 'property' based i.e. values - low values are not good for the figures so it is therefore not in a governments interests to flood the market and at the same time reduce the capital currency of the economy. Get it ?????

So who is ever going to be brave enough to say to hell with all that and take the plunge? Not your present day politicians of ANY colour let me tell you.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum