Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom and tolerance for all?

4 posters

Go down

Freedom and tolerance for all? Empty Freedom and tolerance for all?

Post  southernbelle Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21025332

My view:

The only consideration for attire at work should be,

Is it safe?
Is it fit for the job?
If it is a uniformed position, does it comform?

Whether your employer likes your religion is unimportant.
If you can`t conform, find another position, or sort it out before you start.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Freedom and tolerance for all? Empty Re: Freedom and tolerance for all?

Post  Charly Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm

southernbelle wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21025332

My view:

The only consideration for attire at work should be,

Is it safe?
Is it fit for the job?
If it is a uniformed position, does it comform?

Whether your employer likes your religion is unimportant.
If you can`t conform, find another position, or sort it out before you start

My view is the same on the guardsman wearing a turban but I got called 'racist' Razz
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 pm

If a person chooses to wear a small, religious symbol on a chain next to their skin, this shouldn't be an issue although it might be if the idiot wearing it chooses to have one 6" long and wear it outside their uniform.

If is invisible, as far as I am concerned it has the same status as underwear which is not part of the uniform and therfore of no interest to the employer. (Although my Ward Manager at NMGH did try to ban the wearing of thongs until I took the matter in hand!)

I am a bit suspicious of the motivation of some of these people bringing or funding 'test cases'. It seems as if there are other agendas at work.

As for the guardsman, if he or any other soldier wished to wear a small necklace that was not visible, I would have no objection. There can't be a health and safety implication as they wear much chunkier 'dog-tags'.

A storm in a tea cup but, as said, there seem to be agendas at work here.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I wore a uniform for many years we were not allowed to have any jewellery visible except wedding bands and stud earrings. I brought a long chain to put my cross on and it was never visible when l was at work. Problem solved.

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Of course hovis, there were always idiots who took the p*ss and turned up for work in flip-flops and with a dozen 9-ct gold necklaces on plus three or four tacky sovereign rings to complete the ensemble together with a few facial piercings for good measure.

As a union rep I found myself getting involved in loads of issues like this that were invariably down to p*ss-poor, ineffectual management.

The trouble I had was usually due to inconsistant managers who let some get away with it and came down hard on others.

The thing that I hated as a nurse was seeing people turn up for work with costly, ornate nail-extensions that ripped the friable skin of elderly patients to shreds.

Mind you, the way that some of the non-uniformed senior managers and HR people turned up for work was hardly an example with cleavages down to the naval in some cases, stilleto heels being almost the norm and make-up plastered on with a trowel.

I once did disciplinary case where the dress of the Director hearing the case fell completely off her shoulders exposing all her expensive and very skimpy underwear.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down