Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Make my burger medium-rare please."

+8
cyfrifia
southernbelle
Atlas
Striding
nickih
Charly
johnb
Hinch
12 posters

Go down

"Make my burger medium-rare please." Empty "Make my burger medium-rare please."

Post  Hinch Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Went out for a meal last night in a fairly high-end restaurant near Whalley. (The Three Fishes)

One of our friends fancied a burger. (These are made from high-quality, locally-produced beef and prepared from scratch in the restaurant kitchen.)

She was told very politely but firmly that all burgers now had to be well done by order of Environmental Health because E. Coli had been discovered in some batch of factory-produced mince somewhere in the UK.

What a load of tosh. Are the days coming to and end where the waiter will ask you, "How would you like your steak cooked sir?"

In the end, my friend ordered a sirloin cooked rare and this was delivered without a murmur.

I, of course, had my usual spare-ribs cooked in treacle with devilled black peas. Yummy!

I'm all for food safety but when you look around at some of the badly-prepared crud coming out of fast-food outlets, cooked and served-up by people who don't even hold a basic certificate in food handling and hygiene, this is a joke.

In one place on Milkstone Road I used to visit regularly, the 'cook' served my kebab with one hand whilst wiping his nose on the back of the other. (Needless to say, I complained vociferously and never went back.) In another, I once spied a cat in the back room fast asleep on a tray of part-cooked chips!

As said, the member of staff at the Fishes was polite, apologetic and explained fully the reasons for the policy-change so we have no problem there but what on earth are Environmental Health up to?

Last edited by Hinch on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

"Make my burger medium-rare please." Empty Re: "Make my burger medium-rare please."

Post  johnb Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Some ten years ago, in a hotel inDevon, I was told that regulations forbade my steak being cooked rare...
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

"Make my burger medium-rare please." Empty Re: "Make my burger medium-rare please."

Post  Charly Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Southernbelle was refused a blue steak when we had a RO night out one time.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 pm

This is from the Food Standards Agency website:
Rare meat

It's fine to eat steaks and other whole cuts of beef and lamb rare, as long as the outside has been properly cooked or 'sealed'. Steaks are usually sealed in a frying pan over a high heat. It's important to seal meat to kill any bacteria that might be on the outside. You can tell that a piece of meat has been properly sealed because all the outside will have changed colour. It's OK to serve beef and lamb joints rare too, as long as the joint is a single piece of meat, not a rolled joint (made from different pieces of meat rolled together). But pork joints and rolled joints shouldn't be served rare. To check these types of joint are properly cooked, put a skewer into the centre of the joint. The juices shouldn't have any pink or red in them. Remember, you shouldn't eat these types of meat rare:

poultry
pork
burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets
rolled joints
kebabs
This is because these types of meat can have bacteria all the way through them, not just on the outside. So if they aren't properly cooked then any bacteria in the meat might not be killed.

Note the "CAN have" and "MIGHT not", though.

I love a bloody steak but the texture of rare burgers makes me a bit pale so I prefer them cooked through.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

"Make my burger medium-rare please." Empty Nutters

Post  Striding Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:31 pm

I had the opposite problem. On one of the rare occasions that I was eating at Nutters, I asked for my steak to be well done. The When it came it was certainly not well done, and after the meal the older condescending bloke said something along the lines of "I know you asked for your steak well done, but we know better and gave you medium, and we hope that you will have it rare (the proper way) next time".

Next time I might ask for ketchup or curry sauce on it.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 am

There is no right or wrong way to cook meats. Meat should be eaten to suit the eaters taste. Meat that is contaminated with unacceptable bacteria is the fault of the service / and or chain thereof. Risk of food poisoning is the eaters no matter what you eat or where you eat it. Any food outlet that doesn't point this out when given an order that contains such a risk i.e. underdone as explained above, shouldn't argue ignorance as a defense in the light of any future litigation. It is bad business to 'refuse' a customer his rights to eat what he wants from the preparation point of view and could consequently lose the place business - especially if they are being pedantic about it.
My answer would have been - give me what I asked for otherwise my many friends and I will eat elsewhere in future. I reckon you would have got your rare steak somewhat rapidly JohnB.

Have you ever been to France and asked for a 'fillet Anglaise'.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 am

Otherwise kmown as shoe leather!!
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 am

Atlas wrote:

My answer would have been - give me what I asked for otherwise my many friends and I will eat elsewhere in future. I reckon you would have got your rare steak somewhat rapidly JohnB.

Regrettably it was late, I'd been booked Ito the hotel on business and didn't have any option.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am

All meat, of course, contains certain levels of bacteria.

They will be refusing to let us have sugar in our coffee soon as it enhances tooth-decay.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

We aren't allowed snack boxes (brought in and stocked by some company, can't recall whom, save you running off to the shop in a chocolate emergency) or to display those sweets for sale for Macmillan Nurses at work because they're baaaaaaaad and sugary.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Burgers, shoe leather and rare steaks, perhaps with salad on the side, what about the ever-popular Take-Away Doner Kebabs? I don’t eat them local anymore, since having the misfortune to go into the mucky back room of one such eatery, as well as reading news and a couple of Trial reports about human kebab fodder. affraid

Much speculation Suspect surrounds the ingredients of Doner Kebab meat, including it being made from a variety of surplus off-cuts, offal, feet, ears, tongues .. and other unusual parts not found in butchers' shops.

When manufacturers form the kebab meat, it’s heavily spiced and often re-formed into a cylinder shape, making it literally impossible to determine what parts of the animal the meat comes from, or even which animals it’s made from. Rolling Eyes Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I feel sorry for people that eat kebabs and takeaways, but, they must develop an immunity to almost everything?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Never tasted a kebab in my life....and never will! affraid
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:14 am

I think restaurants should serve meat the way the customer wants it. There is no right or wrong way,it's a matter of personal taste. I like medium and if it turns up on the rare side I am not too worried. I know people who like meat well done, so what! Presumably steak tartare which is raw mince is still legal. Not my cup of tea but some like it.
Too many chefs feel insulted if a customer wants food served in a particular way, the customer pays and should get what they want. There is an awful lot of snobbery attached to eating out. I am a complete philistine when it comes to wine for example, I would not know the difference between a quality wine and a vimto. If I want tomato sauce or salad cream or anything else then I should get it. I am paying.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 am

I'm with you on the wine Past It, wouldn't know one from the other. Most of them I've tasted are like vinegar but if you can get past the first glass or two strangely they become better drunken Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

I do not know much about wines either.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

Claret is nice, sometimes.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

I too only started dabbling in wine about 7-8 years ago. Most French stuff is overpriced and over-rated. The Fisherman's Retreat has a great range.

Avoid anything from Blossom Hill or Ernest and Gallo.

For a white try a Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand at seven quid in Tesco.

For a red most Riojas are okay but avoid the really cheap ones. Spend 8-10 quid for something respectable.

Roses are best avoided unless you really know a good one but there are few around.

The half-price offers at Tesco are usually disappointing unless you know what you are looking for though Isla Negra is ok for quaffing.
l
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Heywoodpp Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 pm

[quote="nickih"]This is from the Food Standards Agency website:
Rare meat

. It's OK to serve beef and lamb joints rare too, as long as not a rolled joint .

quote]

I like my steaks rare but have never been offered a rolled joint to accompany them. Have I been eating in the wrong restaurants?
Heywoodpp
Heywoodpp
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

[quote="Heywoodpp"]
nickih wrote:This is from the Food Standards Agency website:
Rare meat

. It's OK to serve beef and lamb joints rare too, as long as not a rolled joint .

quote]

I like my steaks rare but have never been offered a rolled joint to accompany them. Have I been eating in the wrong restaurants?

Not to be sniffed at Your Grace.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 pm

[quote="Heywoodpp"]
nickih wrote:This is from the Food Standards Agency website:
Rare meat

quote]

Very Happy Me neither, now I come to think of it...... I maybe need to try further afield.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 am

The reference is to a 'boned' and 'rolled' joint -such could be a lamb/pork shoulder or fillet (not to be confused with fillet of beef which is completely different or a 'fillet' of steak as refered to in some butchers as a thin slice). Legs, shoulders and other joints roasted whole with the bone in constitute no danger providing the correct temperatures have been used. Chicken or other fowl constitute the most danger and if off the bone should never be undercooked. You can never eliminate all the dangers of food poisoning unless you have reared, killed and prepared the meat yourself. Life's a lottery - as I keep telling the H&S Inspectors. All you can hope to do is use your common sense and keep yer fingers crossed - but not whilst using a hammer -doh! Wink Ex butcher amongst other things. Smile
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down