Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metrorider

5 posters

Go down

Metrorider Empty Metrorider

Post  past it Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Took the Metro from Rochdale to Manchester last week, the following are my impressions:
McLure Road is a nightmare. The 471 bus from Heywood goes down Drake St now instead of Tweedale St and the nearest stop to Rochdale station is near Wild's bed shop on Oldham Road which means a long walk back.

The tram stop is now outside the health centre or St John's, at the moment that's as far as it goes.The journey starts up the old high level road and on to the track. Newbold is approached by way of a steep climb over the road and then a descent. The ride is smooth but slow with what may be temporary speed restrictions. All the stations are new including the one at Kingsway which is presently about half a mile from the nearest building.

There is a new station just before Manchester where the Police headquarters is located which is "way out" you approach it up a steep sort of helter skelter then down to the station which has a huge sail like roof over it,fab!

Oldham is where the track temporarily goes accross the main road junction to Mumps. The old Mumps station has gone. Later the tram will go direct into Oldham. Most stations have new car parks adjacent,Rochdale suffers in this respect because it has none of any size.

I would guess any body going to Manchester by tram what not find it worthwhile this side of Oldham.

I came back by train then had to walk half way up Drake St to get the 471 back to Heywood.

The tram takes 40 minutes whilst the train 20 minutes, the non-stop quicker.Those who remember the old train track will find the tram has departed from it in many places with quite steep climbs and descents. There are however interesting things to see, Newton Heath sheds for example. Next to Newhey station is the warehouse which has in its paintwork the legend. LANCASHIRE & YORKSHIRE COTTON WAREHOUSE.

My tram was going to St Werebegs Road which is the other side of Chorlton. I enjoyed the ride which for me was free, one of the very few advantages of age, I don't know what commuters think of it.

If you have the time try it. The run to Media City is good and give you access to the Imperial War Museum, but you have to change at Piccadilly.

What effect it will have on Rochdale is another question. I hope it's positive

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Metrorider Empty Re: Metrorider

Post  Chill37 Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Really liked your post. I have to add I find the Kingsway Stop in the middle of a field rather perplexing considering how RMBC rolled over and let that be built instead of the Wet Rake (Drake Street) which would have helped with foot fall on Drake Street.

As for the Oldham crossing you can see where the Trams will go to/join from via Freehold etc and up into Oldham. So their Town Centre will have two stops-one at each end- where as Rochdale only has one. Yes MetroLink isnt the answer to the shops but heck it will help get people in and out of shopping areas I mean would you walk back all the way up Drake Street to the last few quality shops there? Where as if we had the Wet Rake stop just across from those shops? I love that sail back bridge by the new Police Station. Its quite scary how close the Tram is to the wall. Quite exciting as you go over the rail line both there and at Rochdale East Viaduct as well. cheers

Still we have nice scenic views at Kingswsay. Very Happy

As for carparks. Theres is one at Rochdale on the other side of the rail station. But there is a huge redevelopment coming at Rochdale and the old subway is going to be opened soon which will allow for easier transit/acess.

I live opposite the warehouse at Newhey- did you know that used to have a turntable in it (is that correct Salty?) Question

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  anexium Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I'd imagine the Kingsway stop would be more handy for the Milnrow side - the Cray and Firgrove areas than anything else. Plus it's a nice selling point for the business park to attract new tenants with (which is why I suspect it was built in preference to the Drake Street / Rake Gardens stop).

Plus as I understand it, there is to be another unit built at Kingsway next to the JD Sports one, it'll be where the current wetland / pond is, so it'll be near enough right next to the stop.
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

http://www.anexium.com

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Have we not got other post on other sites on this already?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 pm

anexium wrote:I'd imagine the Kingsway stop would be more handy for the Milnrow side - the Cray and Firgrove areas than anything else. Plus it's a nice selling point for the business park to attract new tenants with (which is why I suspect it was built in preference to the Drake Street / Rake Gardens stop).

Plus as I understand it, there is to be another unit built at Kingsway next to the JD Sports one, it'll be where the current wetland / pond is, so it'll be near enough right next to the stop.

Well to be honest the Drake Street stop was not built due to RMBC rolling over at the first sign of a power point presentation by MPT (I believe) which said two stops could not be built so close together due to over lap of the physical area served by a Metro Stop. However, if you look at Victoria Station and Shude Hill they are much closer together than Smith Street / Wet Rake.

So thats why Wet Rake was never built.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  anexium Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am

That seems somewhat specious reasoning, the Kingsway and Newbold stops are almost a literal stone's throw from each other, and Piccadilly Gardens has three stops almost on top of each other.

If I remember correctly didn't they pull out some outrageous figures for building the stop at Wet Rake - something in the region of about £4 million?
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

http://www.anexium.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

anexium wrote:That seems somewhat specious reasoning, the Kingsway and Newbold stops are almost a literal stone's throw from each other, and Piccadilly Gardens has three stops almost on top of each other.

If I remember correctly didn't they pull out some outrageous figures for building the stop at Wet Rake - something in the region of about £4 million?

Indeed it is. So lets ask those in charge why they rolled over and believed the facts given to them at first glance and not have the nous/common sense to question it as we are doing. Still just another (possible final) nail in Drake Streets Coffin. Or maybe the RMBC at that time wanted aeverything aimed at the white elephant that is Kingsway Business Park - bearing in mind it was promoted as a high end Technology Park but now home to a huge shed!

Still back to Metrolink. There a lot of discussion over future extensions. One is the Manchester City Centre Crossing due to start construction in the forseeable futre. A link to Trafford Centre. A line to Middleton has been banded about as well. Plus an extension to Stockport as well.

Exciting times ahead.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Past it. Glad you enjoyed your Metrotrip. The 471 is still a bone of contention which STORM is pursuing, there are 2 new stops, each side of station approach ready and waiting the rerouting of the service. To rub salt in the brand new TfGM timetable for the 471 shows it stopping at the rail station but along Lower Tweedale street which is now one way.

The tram line at Newbold is still on the old alignment of the ‘loop’ but the embankment was removed, before it slipped away, to allow the stop to be at street level.

Chill I’ll ask our archivist about the L and Y warehouse turntable. Reports are that the trams are attracting good numbers.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Old Regulator wrote:Past it. Glad you enjoyed your Metrotrip. The 471 is still a bone of contention which STORM is pursuing, there are 2 new stops, each side of station approach ready and waiting the rerouting of the service. To rub salt in the brand new TfGM timetable for the 471 shows it stopping at the rail station but along Lower Tweedale street which is now one way.

The tram line at Newbold is still on the old alignment of the ‘loop’ but the embankment was removed, before it slipped away, to allow the stop to be at street level.

Chill I’ll ask our archivist about the L and Y warehouse turntable. Reports are that the trams are attracting good numbers.

I too have noticed the Trams are proving very popular when my daughters have been using them. Maybe a bit too popular with standing room only.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum