Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whicker's World stops turning

2 posters

Go down

Whicker's World stops turning Empty Whicker's World stops turning

Post  Hinch Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:07 pm

RIP Alan Whicker. A fabulous programme-maker. I particularly loved his programmes based on his wartime reminiscences that he did a few years ago. Also loved the Python sketch on Alan Whicker Island.

Travel programmes today seem so mundane. Whicker really did have the knack of getting close to his subject matter.

Some re-runs please!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Whicker's World stops turning Empty Re: Whicker's World stops turning

Post  Atlas Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:33 am

I think the fact he could 'write' and compiled his own scripts actualy made his programme the great success it was - and the fact he got to most places and sussed them out long before the rest of us. Another 'one-off' was Wicker. In many respects quite fearless. Few and far between these days.Sad Wink 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:23 pm

There really was such a thing as 'compulsive viewing and AW was its greatest exponent. The celebrities that he interviewed really were all larger than life and not someone who had simply made it to the quarter finals of some moronic 'talent' show.

Not a war hero but certainly someone who had a very interesting war. I do hope they do some re-runs of his stuff. Many of today's TV interviewers could learn a lot. I loved his interviews with Percy Shaw, inventor of cats eyes and Papa Doc, the Haitian dictator.

No video recorders during his early shows so people had to stay in to watch him which must have displeased a lot of pub landlords.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down