Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question Time: BBC TV

+6
Mulldog
Atlas
Jeanie
Poppyanna555
Hinch
Admin
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Question Time: BBC TV Empty Question Time: BBC TV

Post  Admin Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 am

This is coming from Rochdale Town Hall this Thursday. It has been rescheduled due to being cancelled earlier on in the year because of the death of Baroness Thatcher.

Panellists include Dame Shirley Williams, Harriet Harman and Kenneth Clarke.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Question Time: BBC TV Empty Re: Question Time: BBC TV

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Will be glued to set hoping for a lively debate.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Other panellists are the columnist Laurie Penny and the chef Anthony Worrall Thompson.  Looks like questions will include that new, election-winning (?) 'universal benefit',  free school meals for the age up to 7. An amazing U-turn given all the rumpus about the unfairness of benefits not based on actual need.

Free school dinners for the kids of millionaires. Lovely jubberly.

NB Note from Nick Clegg: This is not a universal benefit, it is 'Help for Families'.  Geddit?

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes, I noted that Rochdale was to be the venue when I watched last week, I will be watching with interest......

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 pm

BBC One - Question Time – BBC 1, 22.35  Thursday 19th Sept 2013

I got this awful image of Rochdale’s “same faces” in the audience that we’ve seen so (too?) many times before at local public events –  inc. the Community Cohesion speechmakers.  

Yes, it would be good to watch a debate showcasing other, less predictable community representatives.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 am

Hinch was one of the six people picked to ask a question.  You didn't see me as they ran out of time. A lacklustre debate. Too much pre-electioneering and no local issues raised. Report on RO later.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:56 pm

It was an experience, but not much chance to be able to debate on any issue and was really disappointed that after being picked Hinch didn't get a chance to put his question forward.  

Before it began, we were all told to join in and have a good debate and that he wanted more women to speak. But even though I had my hand up most of the night, I still didn't get a chance.

A bit of a let down really !
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 pm

I saw you Jeanie with your hand up in the air....but not picked.  I did note though that one of our Forum members DID get a chance to air his views, that was MULLY .... sorry, can't even recall what his question was now though.

Wasn't exactly riveting!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:16 am

Watched it. Thought it pretty pointless throughout. You would have thought that at least one local issue could have been discussed amongst all the dross, something pertinent to the audience, something perhaps towards the question of the 'lost towns' of the North which will inevitably drain the fat resources of the affluent belts until their own pips squeak if something isn't done to begin rebuilding -?  Evil or Very Mad affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 am

My own question was very much about the Rochdale mindset and related to 'Lessons being learned' and phrased in a way to get debate going on the grooming and child protection issue.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Shame you didn't get to pose that pertinent question Hinch, although it would no doubt have been 'skirted over'..... as has happened all along!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Poppyanna555 wrote:
I saw you Jeanie with your hand up in the air....but not picked.  I did note though that one of our Forum members DID get a chance to air his views, that was MULLY .... sorry, can't even recall what his question was now though. Wasn't exactly riveting!

My question wasn't riveting or the programme as a whole? Razz To be honest they wasted far too much time on the very first question. If I've heard Harman's anecdote about the girls she witnessed changing in the toilets in Qatar once I've heard it three or four times.

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:32 pm

You re right Mulldog. The time given to question one ensured that they would run out of time. Yes, the story Harman told is a very ancient chestnut she retells at the drop of a hat.

They should have ensured that at least one topic with a particular local focus was aired. God knows Rochdale has enough to choose from.

I never put my hand up once as I was concentrating on putting my own question and didn't want to be distracted.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Anyway we did well. Although this is admittedly a small forum, two of us got selected to ask questions out of an audience of 200. That is not a bad batting average.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:18 pm

Hinch wrote:Anyway we did well. Although this is admittedly a small forum, two of us got selected to ask questions out of an audience of 200. That is not a bad batting average.

I was as nervous as hell when they read out my name. I was clasping that white slip of paper like my life depended on it throughout the recording of the show. It was good to be on though and it has gone down particularly well with my peers. Very Happy

Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:29 pm

That poor sod carrying the camera cable tripped over my size 11's at one point so I got a bit of my own back.

There are a few whinging comments on my RO article complaining about not being 'invited' but I think the process is reasonably fair. How you phrase your question is key. It has to be provocative but I think some struggle with basic English.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:54 pm

I agree, I thought it was very fair process Hinch- I don't know why they are grumbling. In fact I was very disappointed by the number of party activists/leaders who somehow managed to worm in. To be fair they didn't get places in the ballot so shouldn't really have been stood on the sides looking fidgety and paranoid Shocked
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes I spotted them Mully and gave a wave but they both seemed to be avoiding eye contact. Pathetic!

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Oops Mully....sorry if my comment regarding your question sounded personal, I didn't mean it to.  The comment made about 'not being riveting' was aimed at the program in general and not at you personally. Sad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 am

Poppyanna555 wrote:Oops Mully....sorry if my comment regarding your question sounded personal, I didn't mean it to.  The comment made about 'not being riveting' was aimed at the program in general and not at you personally. Sad 
Very Happy It's ok Poppy, I'm pulling your leg.
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm

The 'brothers' were out in force thus ensuring that the niqab got on the order sheet. I liked the expression on Jeanie's face as the subject was aired.

I worked for over 30 years in the NHS all over the UK and have to say I never saw any clinician wearing one when dealing with a patient or otherwise.

Looks as if this is being forced onto the political agenda for no reason other than to score some sort of point.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Hinch wrote:  The 'brothers' were out in force thus ensuring that the niqab got on the order sheet. I liked the expression on Jeanie's face as the subject was aired.

I worked for over 30 years in the NHS all over the UK and have to say I never saw any clinician wearing one when dealing with a patient, or otherwise.

Looks as if this is being forced onto the political agenda for no reason other than to score some sort of point.

Just goes to show, you never know who is watching you !!!
I had my hand up on all the topics, as I like to share my opinion and thought that was the reason I was invited to join the audience. Even though none of my views were chosen, I was disappointed in not  participating !
This was a question I had submitted, as I have strong feelings regarding it and felt I could have contributed to the programme.
My main problem with Question Time was that nothing local  regarding Rochdale was discussed, good or bad, it was just a showman TV slot to make them look good and we gave them the opportunity and our time to do it Wink 
The only good thing was the fantastic views of our wonderful Town Hall which Harriet Harman commented on. The sad thing is how very sadly it is under-used now ! Why  move Council out of this historic, beautiful building? This isn't progress, just downright madness Mad

Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 am

Most of the audience don't ever get to air their views on Question Time, regardless of the location. Nothing new there. The clue is in the title. We ask the questions, the 'experts' give us their answers. Has always been the same. I gave over watching it years ago as you can pretty much guess most of the answers before they are given.

Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Hinch wrote:

The 'brothers' were out in force thus ensuring that the niqab got on the order sheet. I liked the expression on Jeanie's face as the subject was aired.
Question Time: BBC TV Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_tAlK6R_vyFJj89PG088ZawJMqPIl3zsPDI2r-LE--t4Gc9vb

Just caught up with the programme on iPlayer. Yes, Jeanie's expressions said a lot, so funny, wordless. 

What a good example she made for legal guidance about ' the elephant in the courtroom.' : - 
' It is an important element of adversarial trial by jury in England and Wales that the facial expressions of a witness or defendant are part of the evidence in the case.      The jury is entitled to rely on their observations of the defendant both when he or she gives evidence, and also throughout the trial, as they see how the defendant reacts when evidence is given by others.'                    'Nuff said Jeanie, you made your case Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next