Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel to better communities

4 posters

Go down

Travel to better communities  Empty Travel to better communities

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 pm

On my travels in recent weeks in my work I have come across villages and a couple of towns in Lancashire that have a better team spirit and community. Coucillors working together in some cases. Why is Rochdale failing in that in some cases?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Travel to better communities  Empty Re: Travel to better communities

Post  cyfrifia Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 am

The more isolated places seem to have a better community spirit. Smaller towns, almost villages, often on the outskirts of the larger towns, a bit inaccessible, up steep hills and so on.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:15 pm

It is a shame that Littleborough is not further away from Rochdale. It looks like the people on the council who do not live in Littleborough could decide to let TESCO move in against the majority of the wishes of the local businesses and people. Of course if we were to have Parish Councils back then Littleborough could decide for themselves and true democracy could be left to the local councillors who live in that area, rather than decide by people who do not live in Littleborough. True local democracy should be decided by people who live there not outsiders making decisions for true local people in Littleborough who live there.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 pm

It is up to the people of Littleborough to decide whether or not they will continue to support their local businesses when Tesco is offering lower prices on the doorstep...
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:On my travels in recent weeks in my work I have come across villages and a couple of towns in Lancashire that have a better team spirit and community. Coucillors working together in some cases. Why is Rochdale failing in that in some cases?
How long did you spend in these villages?  A few days or maybe a week ?

My point is that it wil take more than a few hours or a flying visit to validate these comments

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

A quick look round may see well tended public spaces, pleasant trees left standing, small groups of people conversing in a non-threatening manner, all that sort of thing, but yes, visiting and living somewhere are different.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:24 am

cyfrifia wrote:

A quick look round may see well tended public spaces, pleasant trees left standing, small groups of people conversing in a non-threatening manner, all that sort of thing, but yes, visiting and living somewhere are different.

You can see that in Rochdale. Oldham and Manchester as well.  But as you say Cyfrifia, living there is totally different.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 am

Travel to better communities  Article-0-18ED5F2400000578-295_634x335
Happiness maps

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:25 am

Laughing So I will look forward to your report on Orkney and the Western Isles and how RMBC can learn lessons from them on how they can work better together and thus get Rochdale performing better and increase our standings on this 'Happyness' scale, and raise the 68% rating we got.

But bit concerned at Cornwal.. Look like they are getting sadder.  Have they run out of Ice Cream? Laughing

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Happiness is only part of the picture, in terms of well being, the data shows Greater Manchester is one of the most widely divided areas in Britain.

Quote: "People in northern areas such as Rochdale and Salford are among the most dissatisfied in the country, while their southern counterparts in Stockport and Trafford are near the top of national league tables."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/revealed-happiest---unhappiest---6235008

People seem to do best in more rural areas, a more natural way of life perhaps. Living in big towns and cities is a more problematic, a bit of a 'human zoo' situation. How well the inhabitants do depends on circumstances and how the place is run.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Well cant get much rural than Cornwall.  And they are getting sadder!

Personally, I take these surveys with a pinch of salt. But whats make you happy is fine by me.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Salted surveys are better for you. It's a point to start thinking from, and that's all.

There are underlying reasons for the problems and plus points of any town, and they need to be understood to plan for the long term future. Does the long term future matter? Well, we are living in the long term future of a while ago.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:22 am

cyfrifia wrote:Salted surveys are better for you. It's a point to start thinking from, and that's all.

There are underlying reasons for the problems and plus points of any town, and they need to be understood to plan for the long term future. Does the long term future matter? Well, we are living in the long term future of a while ago.
Yes surveys are good for thinking about and not really much else. I tend not to think about the future. I just think about the now.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:47 am

cyfrifia wrote:Salted surveys are better for you. It's a point to start thinking from, and that's all.

Underlying problems and root causes? Well all those in charge of coming up with the issue in the first place that is causing the issues. Likewise for the plus points. Forgive me, but not really rocket science is it.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:27 am

There is not much rocket science goes on in Rochdale, is there?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:32 am

Or thinking or common sense or joined up thinking based on the past few months/years/

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Chill37 wrote:
teamplayer2 wrote:On my travels in recent weeks in my work I have come across villages and a couple of towns in Lancashire that have a better team spirit and community. Coucillors working together in some cases. Why is Rochdale failing in that in some cases?

My point is that it wil take more than a few hours or a flying visit to validate these comments

What qualifies you make such a comment then Chill37? I am going on when I have gone on holidays and visit friends in other parts of the country. Just looking at the quality of the businesses that are still there. The welcoming of the people and how they club together for the well being of the community.

In this town anything in some cases seem to start with good intentions then the politics intends to take over. Then also the money in Rochdale, if any spare is found, instead of using for the intended purposes the money is meant for. The money goes to waste. It is that some towns and villages seem to manage[YES MANAGE!] the money better than they do in Rochdale and have the same problems as us. Though they seem to manage the council tax payers money better and keep businesses in their own area.

Of course being Rochdale a typical answer you have given Chill37.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:55 am

Good morning Chill37. Are you ready for the singalong

WE ARE GOING BACK TO ROCHDALE_______
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 am

teamplayer2 wrote:
Chill37 wrote:

What qualifies you make such a comment then Chill37? I am going on when I have gone on holidays and visit friends in other parts of the country. Just looking at the quality of the businesses that are still there. The welcoming of the people and how they club together for the well being of the community.

In this town anything in some cases seem to start with good intentions then the politics intends to take over. Then also the money in Rochdale, if any spare is found, instead of using for the intended purposes the money is meant for. The money goes to waste. It is that some towns and villages seem to manage[YES MANAGE!] the money better than they do in Rochdale and have the same problems as us. Though they seem to manage the council tax payers money better and keep businesses in their own area.

Of course being Rochdale a typical answer you have given Chill37.

Wow wasnt expecting such a strongly worded reply to such a simple reply.

Oh dear I think ive touched a raw nerve given the strength of your reply such as' what makes you qualifed'  mmmm I re read my comment- nothing qualified about it more over common sense.  So you state you go on holidays etc.  Me too, other places.  A week here a week there.  But it only gives me a snapshot of the town I'm visting.  I dont go to any council meetings or view the latest reports on the Town.  So do you go to all the Council Meetings?   Do you have experience of how other Towns you visit allocate the Council Tax then? Towns of a similar size such as Oldham , Bolton etc.

As for people clubbing together in other Towns.  How do you know Rochdale doesnt do the same? I can give you countless examples of people clubbing together in Rochdale.  Such as Save Spodden Valley- which I have contributed to. Oh and it had cross party support too.  The recent RO forum members grouping together for the Rochdale Homeless after RMBC closed and cut funding, of which I supported and attended meetings- just ask Hinch/.  Now forgive me TP I dont know what you look like. but did you attend or contribute to these meetings?  if NOT then you are guilty of the very same things you are accusing Rochdale of not doing.

Then more local clubbing together.  For example, the illegal car sales that went  on in Newhey.  yes I wrote all the emails and letters to Cllr Kelly and Trading Standards and many other Cllrs, but there were a few of us involved.  But that took months.  Oh yes, that's more than a week or two holiday isnt it?  It took months of work to acheive behind the scenes. But even when we were successful, there was no fanfare or big PR spin filled press releases.  Just a satisfaction of job well done/  Not easily spotted really. I'm currently on a new plan/campaign to improve my area...but that will take a lot more than a visit here and there to notice.

As for welcoming people, I found all the people at the campaign about Homeless to be more than friendly on the meetings.  Some of them are on my FB page and I have met wonderful people off RO as well.

Now quality businesses. I use many in Rochdale to support the business I run in my part time- such as for PR and competitions.

Yes you are right Politics do take over in Rochdale.

Now whose fault is it that is happens and who lets it continue and propogate? Therefore letting our Town go to rack and ruin.   Letting our children getting attacked by sex gangs and those in charge not helping.  Being allowed to get away with it too.

So you see TP, I think all the things I have listed does not make me qualified as such.  More over experienced and thus able to make comments based on fact.

PS

Good Morning to you too.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 am

Also as for keeping buisnesses in the area.  Lets see why we pay rates as high as London?  Also who allowed TCM to release a p&ss poor mobile phone video to beg for money.  Who put a person in charge in promoting the bunch of metal boxes as the saviour of our Town? So maybe you are correct on that part of your comment.  But then again I do not know about the Councils of Sussex plans for re-generation or present plans to help their Towns.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:03 am

Chill37 wrote: Now forgive me TP I dont know what you look like. but did you attend or contribute to these meetings?  if NOT then you are guilty of the very same things you are accusing Rochdale of not doing.
Yes I did contribute but could not attend all meetings due to working shifts.  I met some good people about the homeless, but I do contribute a lot in my work thank you.
Chill37 wrote: Now whose fault is it that is happens and who lets it continue and propogate? Therefore letting our Town go to rack and ruin.     Letting our children getting attacked by sex gangs and those in charge not helping.  Being allowed to get away with it too.
As for what you say it is true and a lot of people who let it carry should be answerable to it. I do see a lot of victims in the work I do over the years. From young to elderly.

Yes I have seen a lot in my travels thank you Chill37. Also have to care for someone a lot more these days and work as well like loads of other people. Just get fed up with people who get paid a lot of money for doing nothing or get pay rises when there is no improvement and scroungers who cheat the state but are more than capable of working, while those in genuine need of help and need care are left to suffer with cut backs. I am sure in your type of work you may have come across a lot of them Chill37.

Ever thought of standing for the council?

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 am

You are not the only one caring for people. Ive got first hand experience in the past and at the moment.

I'm so glad you supported the Homeless campaign. I will now redact my comments.

Yes I have considered many many times standing. But then again I havnt- yet-as I cant commit 100% in fighting all the PR Spin doctors that wil come crawling out of the wood work trying to smear or throw mud in a vain attempt to divert from their OWN pathetic failings of their own candidates in helping our town. With the exceptions of a hadnful of Cllrs ie those who actually helped me- the rest can go and whistle.

So one day I will. When i can commit to it 100%. Still i will work away quietly fighting and rasing issues. So when it comes to the crunch I can prove what I have done for my Town.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 am

You are not the only one caring for people. Ive got first hand experience in the past and at the moment.

I did say like others in my last post Chill.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am

teamplayer2 wrote:You are not the only one caring for people. Ive got first hand experience in the past and at the moment.

I did say like others in my last post Chill.
Yes i did note.

Sorry to hear you are in the same position. Wish things could be different,. Still battle on , be strong and dont let obstacles stop you.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 am

No need to be sorry. I know what you have had to face and do know what you are saying, but we carry on regardless because we both care along with many other people in the same position. We can also say a lot of people are in a worse position. At least like others I had the strength to fight for getting the correct treatments for someone I care for, but a lot of people are not in that position.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down