Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spitting a disgusting habit.

+4
Poppyanna555
Jeanie
cyfrifia
keithatrochdale
8 posters

Go down

Spitting a disgusting habit. Empty Spitting a disgusting habit.

Post  keithatrochdale Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:47 pm

About time something was done to stop this disgusting habit.
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Spitting a disgusting habit. Empty Re: Spitting a disgusting habit.

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:54 pm

You can say that again.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:40 pm

I totally agree, someone did it in front of me today on Yorkshire Street. I was nearly sick !

It is a disgusting filthy habit  Mad

Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:13 pm

It's entirely up to the people of Rochdale and their council whether they want everyone to have the freedom to spit in the streets, or to prohibit it with a fine, as some other local authorities do.

http://www.northlondon-today.co.uk/News.cfm?id=41851&headline=Spitting%20ban%20in%20operation

Last edited by cyfrifia on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I hate it but, I see it on a daily basis.

Living in a predominantly Asian area, it seems to be treated as 'the norm' within that society, a grotesque deep clearing of the throat and then the spit .... even the women do it !

Should we be surprised that TB has made a comeback?  I think not!

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 pm

An elderly white bloke just missed me once on Tod Rd as I passed him when going to my car. Disgusting habit. I think decent members of society should be given tasers and be allowed to use them at will when faced with such antisocial behaviour.

It does only spread TB if the person has TB though!

Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:43 am

Takes me back.

My first placement on a TB ward as a pupil nurse involved encouraging 'deep breathing and expectoration', using the plastic pots provided for the purpose.

My first job in the morning involved inspecting contents of aforementioned pots and charting colour, consistency etc. No gloves in those days. They tended to be used only for sterile procedures. I went right off fruit yogurt and raspberry ripple ice cream I can tell you.

If you were collecting specimens for the labs it was even worse. You had to hold a very small pot under the patient's chin as he coughed and expectorated away. It was a rare day indeed when you didn't get covered.

Not a nice job for a young nurse with a hangover!. Ugh!

As for assisting in postural drainage for bronchiectasis patients, don't go there!

Spitting is in no way restricted to the Asian community as any footie fan will tell you. I also well remember spitting contests in the school playground.

Sorry to those of you with a weak stomach but I didn't start this damned thread.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:00 am

Spitting in the streets is similar to littering and dog poo. Attitudes and habits can be changed with byelaws and fines. The choice is up to public opinion, some may wish to have the freedom to dump rubbish, and allow their dogs to foul the pavement and to spit, others prefer to have these activities curtailed.

If a fair majority of the inhabitants of Rochdale, or even a sizeable minority with a good case well presented, want a ban on spitting in the streets, a byelaw can be put in place to that effect. If the majority want to spit freely, and see it as a 'right', such a byelaw may not have the support.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:29 am

Maybe ROL would be good enough to launch a campaign on our behalf?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am

Maybe, but more of a job for a group of councillors perhaps. First thing is to establish how much public support a spitting ban would have.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2013/12/10/poll-should-people-caught-spitting-in-public-be-prosecuted/

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I would certainly support a ban and would help to push for one.

Utterly disgusting and offensive.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Not helped by the number of footballers who spit either, many youngsters follow suit believing that it is 'cool' to emulate them.

I would love to see it banned.

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm

I think that any legislation would be largely unenforceable. Same as dropping litter or throwing your rubbish into the street.

This is more to do with citizenship, self respect, being a good neighbour etc. Qualities lost on a certain type of mentality. 

DL was on the right track, but did not go far enough. Vigilantes armed with tasers, flame-throwers and Uzis might act as a deterrent plus naming and shaming or branding if we are to eradicate 'pavement oysters' forever.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Laws are often at least difficult to enforce, but play an important role in changing behaviors. Seat belts, drunk driving,picking up after your dog, sexual harassment, racial discrimination, all these were changed with the help of legislation.

Not spitting in front of people is about respect for others. It's bad enough for the ordinary person, but when police, paramedics, nurses etc are spat at in the course of their work, and it does happen, if malicious spitting was generally understood to be unacceptable, this would give another layer of legal and social protection.

A considerable percentage of the population think spitting is a harmless and normal habit. Some otherwise quite decent people have the habit of spitting. Re-education is needed.

Tazering offenders is tempting, but that must be down to the individual citizen to arrange, and cannot be recommended as legislation.

Probably the most convincing argument to put forward to a local council is the revenue to be accrued from spitting fines.

Who would like to live in a no-spitting allowed town?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Hinch wrote:
DL was on the right track, but did not go far enough. Vigilantes armed with tasers, flame-throwers and Uzis might act as a deterrent  plus naming and shaming or branding if we are to eradicate 'pavement oysters' forever.

Electric collars that ‘shock’ wayward dogs into submission were banned for the first time in just part of Britain after Wales became the first part of the UK to outlaw their use - which deliver a painful shock of electricity into the animal's neck to control misbehaviour, usually activated by the animal’s owner, who simply pushes a button on a remote control.         Animal Right’s groups have been up in arms about these devices and ...

You’re suggesting guerrilla warfare for the human misdemeanor of ‘ hocking ! ’  

The EU Court of Human Rights would have a field day with your proposed tactics. (Why no vigilante masks?

Literally, " Don’t go East Young Man."   Laughing    The Chinese are huge fans of hocking up everything in their throat and spitting it anywhere and everywhere. They believe that it is a hygienic thing to do, more so than our western tradition of blowing our noses and sticking the handkerchief or tissues in our clothes.

Is no-one on this Forum old enough to remember seeing big Spittoons in some of our pubs ?

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 am

Mojo Hill wrote:
Is no-one on this Forum old enough to remember seeing big Spittoons in some of our pubs ?

Some more senior members may remember the black death,
Spitting a disgusting habit. Eng-hist-20C-BlackDeath2
But, enough of nostalgia.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:08 am

Mojo Hill wrote:

Yes.  Grapes and Yates Wine Lodge both had them.         Wink

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:16 am

In the past in the UK, public spitting was considered a health risk and generally unpleasant, and such attempts were made to 'contain' the problem.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/spitting-on-the-street-spreads-disease-6300837.html

Is it co-incidental that countries where public spitting is normal also have high rates of T.B.?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am

I don't think science has ever proved a causal link. It remains a disgusting habit, but not as bad as that practised by some Eastern European gypsy-types, who think nothing of defecating in the gutter and are apparently happy to be photographed doing so for later publication on the Internet!

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:41 am

They must be used to living where there are no modern toilet facilities available to them, and that is the case for many people around the world.

We cannot solve the problems of all the world, but the people of Rochdale should be able to solve the problems of where they live.

Spitting not only has health implications, as a social behavior it is sometimes used in a way to be offensive and aggressive, to express contempt.

There is a general move of opinion and legislation for spitting in the streets to be banned, Rochdale would do better to take a lead in this, if it wants to, rather than lag behind.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/national/news/10697205.Council_prosecutes_men_for_spitting/

Last edited by cyfrifia on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:50 am

Rochdale leading by example? Yes, we could become a beacon for other towns to follow. (Now where have I heard that one before?)

Unenforceable. Arguably, by drawing attention to it, it could make the problem even worse.

I don't think Rochdale has the right or the moral authority to lead the way on social issues. I would like to see it eradicated though. It is a sickening habit but there are far larger fish to fry in this town.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Whether 'Rochdale' has the moral authority to take a stand or lead the way on social issues is a relevant question.

The authorities have shown a desperately worrying lack of morals, or lack of competence, or both; but that does not alter the fact that the people of Rochdale deserve better.

Somehow the social fabric of the town will have to be repaired, and the devil is often in the detail.

We could wait until the grooming, drug trade and criminal violence is more under control before considering the enforcement of things like a no spitting zone, but, that might be a long wait. It may be better to press ahead and prioritise what is 'do-able' to make the town a place where decent people can live. Otherwise, over time, population 'churn' will mean the decent people will leave and the situation will deteriorate.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 am

As I understand it most public houses in heavy industrialised towns and cities had 'spittoons' for the use of.
Especially those with heavy mining. It was of course due to the working condition that necessitated expiration at regular intervals for those most badly affected. Given that such 'working conditions' rarely exist any more in this country, such receptacles are no longer needed. Spitting in the street used to be a public order offence when I was a lad and in truth one rarely saw such incidents. With the advent of the 'laddie' culture and the trash meted out on many sports pitches, I suppose one must say it can only be imitation which grows into a habit. A bit like smoking one could say. Sad isn't it? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down