Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale

+4
cyfrifia
Hinch
Chill37
hawkins
8 posters

Go down

BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale Empty BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale

Post  hawkins Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Did anyone see this documentary on pay day loans last week? Just wondered what people thought of it focusing on Rochdale and what experiences people have had with the pay day lenders.

hawkins

Back to top Go down

BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale Empty Re: BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale

Post  Chill37 Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:43 pm

hawkins wrote:Did anyone see this documentary on pay day loans last week? Just wondered what people thought of it focusing on Rochdale and what experiences people have had with the pay day lenders.

They should all be banned, along with log book loan shops.  At least Dick Turpin had the gumption to wear a mask.  The people behind these shops prey on the weak and vulnerable.  The owners of pay day loans bleat they are responsible etc. Liars is one word.  Can anyone tell me have any of these Loan Sharks ever justiified their 1000's% rates.   In my eyes the only thing that sets these 'legal' loans apart from illegal loan sharks is that Wonga wont send the boys around and menace you at the door.  I am utterly amazed how in this day and age vultures and leeches like these are allowed to operate.  They even advertise targeting children as the next generation with catchy themes and 'lovable' mascots.

I even read that if someone uses them and even though they pay the cash back - it can even prevent them ever getting a mortgage.  You dont see that advertised.  

Plus why am I not surprised that Rochdale was covered in the programme.  As in the Child Abuse thread,  Rochdale is fast becoming the bench mark for all things crap- for want of a better word.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale Empty Re: BBC 3 Documentary Young, British And Broke focusing on Rochdale

Post  Hinch Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:13 pm

I am 63 now and every government of every political hue that I can remember has vowed to do something about high interest rates. The result of their inaction? Pay day lenders, log book loan companies and the rest charging circa 3000% interest.

There is BIG money to be made out of poverty and desperation. Research has shown that about a third of their customers are using this to buy food. Scandalous. Even Charles Dickens never imagined this level of usuary.

Last edited by Hinch on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hawkins Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Just to clarify, I'm a journalist which is why I'm interested in the reaction to this programme. I won't quote anyone unless they are happy to be quoted, I would just like to know the general opinion of pay day lenders in the area.

hawkins

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I think that people should use credit unions which encourage saving coupled with responsible lending, plus the money stays in your community. I am a member of two and you can never get in above your head.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 pm

hawkins wrote:Just to clarify I'm a journalist which is why I'm interested in the reaction to this programme. I won't quote anyone unless they are happy to be quoted, I would just like to know the general opinion of pay day lenders in the area.

I did wonder why you were interested.  Please do not use my quotes, past present or future,  as I do not know which paper you represent, be it a tabloid, broadsheet or other media based. As to be honest, not with standing yourself, media only come sniffing around when there is more 'bad' news.  You cant see them for dust when something good happens. Yet as soon as there is bad news or a horrific event they are like flies around the proverbial mess.  

I think its safe to say that we don't hold them - as in Credit Loan Sharks shops-  in any regard what so ever. But it doesn't take a rocket scientest to work that out.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm

The programme title, 'Young, British and broke' would appear to be a play on the old song title 'Young gifted and black'.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Not good....Rochdale has become a benchmark for all things negative!

Such a shame, I was once proud to say "I was born and bred in Rochdale" but now it's "I live near Manchester"......

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  hawkins Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Chill37 wrote:
hawkins wrote:Just to clarify I'm a journalist which is why I'm interested in the reaction to this programme. I won't quote anyone unless they are happy to be quoted, I would just like to know the general opinion of pay day lenders in the area.

I did wonder why you were interested.  Please do not use my quotes, past present or future,  as I do not know which paper you represent, be it a tabloid, broadsheet or other media based. As to be honest, not with standing yourself, media only come sniffing around when there is more 'bad' news.  You cant see them for dust when something good happens. Yet as soon as there is bad news or a horrific event they are like flies around the proverbial mess.  

I think its safe to say that we dont hold them - as in Credit Loan Sharks shops-  in any regard what so ever. But it doesn't take a rocket scientest to work that out.

Of course I won't quote you or any other commenters who do not want to be, but it is good to get a sense of general opinion.

hawkins

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

You can quote my comment Hawkins....with my blessing!

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Of course Hawkins, with a town as depressed as Rochdale, it is natural that these businesses plus pawn brokers, cheque-cashing agencies, pound shops, charity shops plus illegal moneylenders would flock here in droves.

Poverty seems to be our only growth industry!

Despite attempts on various Facebook sites to present us as a veritable Land of Opportunity, it remains one of the most depressed and deprived towns in the UK, with one of the highest levels of child poverty in the country according to CPAG.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

I guess, unfortunately, there is a place for payday-type loan companies, but never ones charging the interest rates these companies do. If some folk can't use these, and have no chance at a bank, they will turn to unregulated loan sharks who will not be afraid to take what's owed to them when it's due. If only the government cared enough to limit the interest rate to one that could be viewed as reasonable...

Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 am

Anything over 50% is usury in my book. Once a 'crime' in this country. Time some well-heeled politician extracted digits and made sure this 'preying on the weak, desperate or ignorant' was made a CRIMINAL OFFENCE with prison sentences attached for those found ' parasiting' in this despicable fashion. Evil or Very Mad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:12 pm

I don't think age has anything to do with their victims either. I've known OAPs go hungry because they are paying off these loan sharks, who do not hesitate to collect from other family members when someone defaults.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down