Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale zombies

2 posters

Go down

Rochdale zombies Empty Rochdale zombies

Post  cyfrifia Sat May 07, 2016 5:05 pm

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Rochdale zombies Empty Re: Rochdale zombies

Post  Atlas Sun May 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Interesting. A worthwhile pursuit for a single mum who has so many other responsibilities to adhere to. Fair play on the girl. Not really my cup of tea but who am I to knock it. We all must strive for that which satisfies our talents and makes life worthwhile. Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 am

Whoever wrote the headline

"Thugs smash into womans home and threaten her with a hammer."

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/104142/thugs-smash-into-womans-home-and-threaten-her-with-a-hammer

Shows a talent for writing. To be able to say so much about Rochdale, in one terse, factual, concise and flowing sentence, covering many aspects of local culture and attitudes by unspoken implication is a writing job well done. Quite Shakespearian really.

study excellent.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm

This gang of nutcases have carried out a number of these 'hit & run' raids across the North West over the past couple of months. It's obviously low danger and reasonably lucrative. They will get caught shortly. Unless they stop now and each goes his separate way. That's the way of how things are going these days. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Of course Rochdale represents all that that is tragically wrong with the north west of England, but that does not in any way take away from the literary and narrative merit of the headline.

We can continue to write a lot of words about this and that, but for quality of statement, that headline says it all about Rochdale.

Rates with other classic phrases of English literature such as

"Once more unto the beach dear freinds."

"I'm going to the shop, do you want anything?"

“Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe”

“Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief.”

“Exit pursued by a bear.”

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:26 pm

No. Sorry. It doesn't do anything for me at all. Now - 'Freddie Star ate my hamster'. Certainly gets my attention. You see - I'm so old now that only 'stupidity' grabs me - - - all the rest is neglect. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 am

It's so concise and mundane, with a world-weary rythm to the words. Tells a whole story. But yes, let it pass, certain lines of prose and poetry stick in the mind, and some don't. The craft of putting together words is a strangely powerful but often transient one. As time moves on, culture and language changes, the meaning of even the best becomes obscure.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Indeed t'is a sign of the times. W.C.Fields and Oscar Wilde did so, so much better. There you are - I told you I was old - Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down