Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jimmy Savile

+11
hovis
Dalelad
johnb
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
Admin
UP THE DALE
Spartacus
southernbelle
Atlas
Charly
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jimmy Savile  Empty Jimmy Savile

Post  Charly Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

A documentary is to be screened this coming Wednesday "In Exposure: The Other Side Of Jimmy Savile" in which he is accused of grooming under age girls for sex during his long career at the BBC.

Mark Williams-Thomas, who for 12 years was a detective and child protection officer, spent a year talking to Savile’s former victims, but it seems this was after he was dead.
Savile died aged 84 and if this abuse had been happening since the middle aged victims on the programme were children how come its only just being dealt with?
Or could the fact his estate was worth £3.3M have anything to do with it?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Savile  Empty Horse - Stable Door.

Post  Atlas Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:00 am

3.3 mill - Hmm. Most certainly I would think. Sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Savile  Empty Re: Jimmy Savile

Post  southernbelle Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Nasty pompous self serving arrogant little man, who certainly made £ks for charity, but I found him rude and self important.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:06 pm

£42M was the figure he raised according the the article I read, thats no mean feat.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:07 pm

I agree, and not to be belittled, but it doesnt mean he had to be a nice person!!!
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Smile I wasn't saying different, I didn't particularly like him either.
I just wonder what the reasons are for the victims to come forward after his death when he cant defend himself or deny the allegations, thats why I asked could it be his £3.3M estate?
Will his alleged victims be awarded compensation from it?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Charly wrote: Smile I wasn't saying different, I didn't particularly like him either.
I just wonder what the reasons are for the victims to come forward after his death when he cant defend himself or deny the allegations, thats why I asked could it be his £3.3M estate?
Will his alleged victims be awarded compensation from it?

I would surmise the victims feel safer and also have the confidence to do so now that he is no longer here.

There was a kind of 'celebrity sainthood' attached to the man when he was alive and it would appear his friends closed ranks whenever 'accusations' were made. Jimmy Savile had friends in powerful places.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm

I agree Spartacus. Sadly these celebs and MPs etc are very hard to take on, with the army of supporters around them. IF any of these allegations are true, it's a shame he wasn't found guilty of the charges soon after he did them and sent to prison. Trouble is you get people saying you shouldn't speak ill of the dead. I say if someone needs exposing for what they are or were then expose them-good and bad.

ALL the truth of Jimmy Saville should come out,. What I will say about Jimmy Saville, is yes he did a lot of charity work, but like many "stars" who do he did very well himself out of it, with all the publicity etc.

Some will argue that the dead's wrongs should not be exposed. Fair enough having that belief.

Last edited by UP THE DALE on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Maybe you're right Sparky but how many will try to jump on the bandwagon now he's dead?
There are still people coming forward as the 'love child' of people like Elvis, luckily DNA can sort false claims of parenthood out now, but accusations of abuse is very difficult to prove or disprove once someone is dead I suppose.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:42 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Some will argue that the dead's wrongs should not be exposed. Fair enough having that belief.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be exposed, its the timing I wonder about.
I agree he should have been made to face the accusations while he was alive, same with any other person.
I just cant see the point when someone is dead, unless its for financial compensation from his estate..I'm not even saying the alleged victims shouldn't receive compensation but it should all have been done earlier
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 pm

They are also difficult to prove when someone is living, Charly. If these girls/women were victims they probably need some type of closure which was not possible up until now.

I think we have a need to demonise child abusers because it is such an horrific crime. It is very difficult to come to terms with the fact that someone can still be a nice person, do good and be capable of committing terrible offences. Probably why these offenders often get away with it for so long.

Although some people do cry wolf I think they are a tiny majority. It takes a lot of courage for someone to come forward and say they have been a victim, I think we should accept that 'victims' are such until such time as their story is proved to be false the same way we should accept the 'accused' as being innocent until proven guilty.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 am

3.3 million! Yea. Got to be. Sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am

I didn't like the man but as far as I am aware he never faced charges and has therefore not been proven guilty. Under English law that makes him innocent.

Accusing someone of sexual offences after they have died means of course that all you hear is a very one-sided story from someone who need have no fear of the defamation laws of libel and slander.

Still, it makes good copy for the TV and press.

Sexually of course, JS was an enigma. Makes it even easier for a bit of mud to stick.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 am

In the 1960s and 70s, pop music was massive, attitudes were different, it was accepted as normal that pop stars had hordes of screaming girls wanting to be groupies. People working in the industry, like in the BBC etc, would probably become used to turning a blind eye to what went on.

Some very dubious personalities appeared in the pop music industry then, Johnathan King, Gary Glitter and the like. The puzzle is, why do the British public seem to favor weird and creepy sort of people to be celebrities?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 pm

It is a shame that they waited until after his death when others have been caught and jailed while they are still alive. Garry Glitter for example.

Still did he have some hold over them to put fear into them while he was still alive, now can only say what happened after his death. Too late to do anything now.

Also some people think there is more of a financial motive but if they expect any money from his estate they are far too late now.

The real evidence or confession has now gone to his grave as to speak.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm

And so has any chance for him to defend himself.

Still, some mediocre film producer will have a notch on his c.v Sad
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Could be true that JohnB. Cannot disagree with your last post.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 am

By all accounts Jimmy Saville was very litigious, and rich, so I imagine that it would have been hard for any victim to summon up the courage to take him on.
If someone had sexually assaulted me as a child I think that I'd get nearly as much satisfaction from ruining their reputation after their death as seeing them jailed during their lifetime.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 pm

I found the docutmentry very disturbing, especially the 3 women who did not want to be identified dosent look like a witch hunt. There was a very strange interview he gave on radio about Gary Glitter. Also on Channel 4 news a very disturbing conversation he had with what sounded like a very young girl that was recorded by a sound technition during a documentry he was doing.40 years ago girls were not as street wise as they are now. And l think it would be wrong to judge thoses young girls with girls of that age today. but of course we have to remenber that in the Rochdale grooming case, the young girls were not believed by social workers, police or others in authority, for years and none of thoses men were ' beloved national treasures'

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm afraid the programme lost me in almost the first sentence where the presenter said, "Jimmy Saville stands accused of..."

Unless he was buried a very unusual way, Savile STANDS accused of nothing nor can he ever be.

Please note, I am not saying that Saville didn't do any of the things he is now accused of in absentia. Many of the 'witnesses' seem fairly credible in a televisually-engineered sort of way but I thought that the programme was badly made and presented. (CUE Esther Rantzen in lingering close-up driven to tears by harrowing tales etc.)

I just wondered if this bloke was telling a tale that needed to be told or was he just out to make a fast buck? I just felt that somehow the story got lost in translation somehow.

Saville was a strange, tortured soul and was probably not a nice man. Was he a paedo? Well, the programme pointed us in a particular direction but lacked balance and objectivity as far as I was concerned.

Mud always sticks with accusations of this sort. All the more so when the accused is no longer in a position to defend himself.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Esther Rantzen said she heard rumours at the time, surely, seeing as she is the founder of Childline, should have voiced her concerns then, and those crocodile tears didn't cut the mustard with me either.
Janet Street-Porter also knew of the rumours, as did lots of others (she said)
There was a woman on the programme who said she walked in on Savile's dressing room when he had a girl of approx 14 years old on his knee with his tongue down her throat, she closed the dressing room door and left them to it!
I might be a gobby cow as I think I might have said 'what the bl-oo-dyhell is going on here?'
I would not have left it at that.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Charly wrote:Esther Rantzen said she heard rumours at the time, surely, seeing as she is the founder of Childline, should have voiced her concerns then, and those crocodile tears didn't cut the mustard with me either.

Yes, it didn't stop Rantzen giving a tribute to him when she was interviewed shortly after his death. Given her role in Childline perhaps a dignified silence may have been more appropriate although she's not much good at doing either 'dignified' or 'silent'.

She was right about one thing though Charly. Those who say nowt are complicit to some extent and that is how the whole thing operates so widely. What should and could be investigated is how it seemed to be almost an open secret at the BBC. No doubt that was where Louis Theroux picked up the rumours from and at least had the guts to question him about it as he felt that it was part of the Saville story.

Not very reassuring when you consider how many kids participate in their programming in any given year and how vulnerable some of these often star-struck kids are. (Shades of Michael Jackson... Oops, forgot! He was innocent!)

The titbit that got me was about him and Garry Glitter being on the same show. All they needed was Jonathan King.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 pm

..and the accusers are still coming out of the woodwork, what I cant understand are the adults who were in charge of looking after these children who kept quiet.
They are as culpable as Savile himself, nurses at Stoke Mandeville say he molested patients there.
They should be charged with gross negligence for not protecting the children.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:59 pm

According to a retired police officer nurses did approach him, they said the had not seen him doing anything but children in their care had complained about him. The police officer who appeared on TV said that his senior officers said they would never be able to prove it so no futher action was taken. 40 years later in the Rochdale grooming case, nothing has changed.

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Looks like there has been a cover up by some people who worked with this pervert. The trouble is are there people working with him just as much involved and part of something more sinister?

Just how many are involved?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: