Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jimmy Savile

+11
hovis
Dalelad
johnb
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
Admin
UP THE DALE
Spartacus
southernbelle
Atlas
Charly
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jimmy Savile  - Page 2 Empty Re: Jimmy Savile

Post  Charly Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 am

News this morning says up to 40 victims are taking action to sue the BBC and the hospitals where Savile was a volunteer worker.
From the beginning I thought this was about money and it appears I may have been right.
How do they prove a case/s against a dead man when he's not here to admit or deny it ?
If he did commit these crimes (and I have no opinion either way) then they should have died with him
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 am

Totally agree Charly, the timing of this is questionable. Nurses have come out and said they knew what he was up too, I suggest if I were a nurse on a ward having to tell children to go hide under their bedcloth untill an attacker leaves after a visit wouldn't make me a good nurse nor human being, he wouldn't be left alone with any child and I would inform the police full stop!

They are all fairly free with their statements on TV now he's dead which concerns me more, why didn't they feel this way 10 years ago/20 years ago or when it happened or indeed anytime this man was alive to defend himself. On the basis of waiting this long any legal attempt to gain financial sucess from his estate should be out of the question. Once it's made clear no compensation will be paid out because the man isn't here to defend himself, lets see who's still standing as it were.

Take compensation out of the equation and the numbers may well change.

I'm not saying he has not done wrongs, I am saying this is the wrong time to claim wrong doings, while the man is dead in his grave.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:51 am

An article in newspapers today tell of a girl supposedly telling Esther Rantzen about Savile molesting her, 18 years ago... what did the founder of Childline do about it?
Sweet FA

Lawyers revealed victims had contacted them about compensation claims potentially worth tens of thousands of Pounds each.

Reports say the NHS could face charges and compensation costs of £100K's plus
and BBC are looking at compensation costs £10M or more
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:41 pm

I’ve had solicitors on the phone this morning telling me ‘bugger the PPI have you ever met Jimmy Savile?

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Irishman wrote:I’ve had solicitors on the phone this morning telling me ‘bugger the PPI have you ever met Jimmy Savile?

Great to see you back Irishman x
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:17 pm

IF it turns out that Jimmy Saville really was as dodgy as he appeared to be, he is just one of many celebrities and politicians who appear to be well dodgy. I always used to think the 'authorities' must be keeping a close eye on people who appear to be getting up to no good, fiddling their expenses, dodging their tax bills, exploiting people and so on, but as time goes on, it becomes apparent these people we see on the media that appear to be well dodgy probably are.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 am

I have to say that during my time in the business (we are talking groups and music) in the 1960s it was common practice amongst many musicians and their entourages to 'bed' young females without necessarily making sure of their ages. It went on constantly. It didn't take much to encourage such dalliances with the result that some young girls had a very rapid lesson in predatory males. The difference we are being given here is that this man set himself up in such a way as to 'hunt' and 'select' his victims (if what is being said is the full truth and not some embellished version). We heard dozens of rumours regarding many D.J's (didn't we Hinch) and musicians alike. Most (99%) were brushed off as the over zealous semi-frenzied ramblings of the over emotional teenagers who because they had 'put' themselves in that position got more or less what the rest of us expected they would - sometimes unwanted pregnancies etc. My point is this - until such times as the enquiries by the police and others have been fully completed, any such talk of removing names, headstones,knighthoods or anything else is not justified. The man's whole life and reputation is on the line here and until such times as the 'evidence' is irrefutable nothing, I repeat, nothing should be done to the contrary.
Justice should be 'seen' before verdicts and sanctions are handed down - however bad it may read or appear.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:54 am

It does seem rather too much of a trial by media, but then, by doing that, the media is putting itself on trial, not a bad thing. The title 'Sir' expires on death anyway. As for the headstone, apparently that was a family decision, it belongs to the family so they can do what they like with it.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Reported in the media today that claims of abuse by Jimmy Saville were investigated by 6 police forces over 5 decades and charges were never pressed. The first investigation took place in 1958. Claims were made long before he died and I doubt compensation would have been the main factor in those days.

Compare this with what happened in our Borough recently. Victims reported the abuse, agencies reported the abuse -- nothing was done about it for a very long time. The girls were considered as "worthless" by some, poor witnesses by others. They were powerless.

If charges had been pressed the defendant would have been (Sir) Jimmy Saville, a man who spent his Christmases with Margaret Thatcher, tireless charity campaigner and famous celebrity. Any case brought against him would have had to have been bombproof.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Up to recently, taking on celebrities, politicians etc on this kind of case, you had little chance of getting the police to charge unless caught in the act. Even if the police passed it on to the Cps they would often decide not to prosecute on the excuse, it's their words against the celebrities. Sometimes political pressure was put on not to prosecute the case. Often the police and the authorities just don't believe the accuser or their family because of their background,ie in care, teenager, off a council estate etc, especially if the accused is well known.

This is why many might not have come forward, and still don't come forward in cases. Until we have a fair and equal justice system all the way from initial reporting to the trial, we will never have proper justice, especially when a working class individual is accusing a well known, or certain other types. The law is NOT equal.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Up to recently, taking on celebrities, politicians etc on this kind of case, you had little chance of getting the police to charge unless caught in the act. Even if the police passed it on to the Cps they would often decide not to prosecute on the excuse, it's their words against the celebrities. Sometimes political pressure was put on not to prosecute the case. Often the police and the authorities just don't believe the accuser or their family because of their background,ie in care, teenager, off a council estate etc, especially if the accused is well known.

This is why many might not have come forward, and still don't come forward in cases. Until we have a fair and equal justice system all the way from initial reporting to the trial, we will never have proper justice, especially when a working class individual is accusing a well known, or certain other types. The law is NOT equal.

Well said.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Now Dave Lee Travis has been named.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Looks like this is bigger than anyone thought. Looks like there has been a gang of perverts working in the BBC and the bosses have tried to cover the whole thing up. Disgusting.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 pm

This Jimy Saville case and future investigations are really dominating the news and headlines.

Let's not forget the Hillsborough situation and alleged criminality by the police, altering statements and other malpractices. Did I hear right that today there is a very similar traversy of justice being looked at connected to the Miners' Strike? !!

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 am

Yes you did Mojo. But then again we always knew that the miners strike and what followed from the authorities was 'state sponsored'. It was a political 'holding action' with the question being - 'Who Rules'. The 'State' couldn't allow for another failure (as in the Heath governments debacle) and thus set to work with a vengeance to crush, manipulate and ultimately destroy. You don't win battles by playing by the rules. Nothing new here.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 am

Mojo Hill wrote:
This Jimy Saville case and future investigations are really dominating the news and headlines.

Let's not forget the Hillsborough situation and alleged criminality by the police, altering statements and other malpractices. Did I hear right that today there is a very similar traversy of justice being looked at connected to the Miners' Strike? !!

Never mind the police's role in the Miners Strike. Look at the role of the BBC at Orgreave running their film to make it look as if it was the miners charging the police when, in fact, it was the opposite way round.

They also told the police exactly what to write in their statements and whole paragraphs of notebook entries are copied down in virtual facsimile.

The BBC are a bloody disgrace and they are little better than a propaganda agent of the government even though they are supposed to be an independant organisation operating under charter.

'To inform, educate, entertain... and lie.'

The Miners Strike was the time when we could no longer pretend that we had civil rights left any more in the UK or if we had, they could be suspended on the nod and wink from politicians. So much illegal stuff was going on then.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Totally agree Hinch, re both the police and the BBC. The police and BBC are agents of the state apparatus, pretending to be independent and to serve the people. Well the only people they really serve are the rich and powerful. That's why it was always very difficult for victims of the likes of Saville and others like politicians, to get justice.

One day hopefully the real truth of what happened in the Miners strike, Wapping, Warrington and other disputes in which the police and media sided, indeed suppressed the disputes and told lies about them, will come out.

Regarding Saville, just a pity that the alleged victims of this terrible person were not listened to decades ago, because then he could have spent time in prison where he belonged if indeed found guilty.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am

The prime Minister is talking in Parliament as though he believes Saville is guilty. Looks like Saville was a Dr. Shipman that didn't actually kill people.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 am

Gary Glitter has been arrested in connection with the Savile investigation

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/savile-probe-police-arrest-glitter
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:41 am

Gary Glitter? Blimey, always the ones you least expect, isn't it?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 pm

I wonder if the local Cambridge House episode will be looked at again by police, and also locally Knowl View School. There does now appear to be more of an acceptance that the famous etc are now not untouchable.

Last edited by UP THE DALE on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Well if they start looking into what went on at Knowl View...send them my way.
I have paperwork from the time.
NOTHING was done, it was all swept under the carpet.
I know exactly what went on as my son was a pupil there
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

There is now the sickly stink of hypocrisy creeping into this:

OF COURSE what Jimmy Saville did was wrong and an unforgivable abuse of power, but pretty much every rock star, pop idol and footballing superstar was enjoying the sexual favours of fans probably without close examination of the birth certificates of the girls involved.

Worse, the muck-raking guttersnipe press were selling massive copy on the strength of the exploits of said rock stars, pop idols and football superstars generating massive circulation figures and profits.

Now I've always disc-jockeys to be parasites on the fringes of the music industry, but it is not remotely surprising they enjoyed the perks of lifestyle as the musicians around them.

So the muckraking press who made money out of the celeb lifestyle are now making money out of wringing their hands over the excesses they glorified.

Sickening? Oh yes!
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: