Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch off street lighting, reduces crime

+6
Charly
Jeanie
UP THE DALE
Chill37
cyfrifia
keithatrochdale
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Switch off street lighting, reduces crime - Page 2 Empty Re: Switch off street lighting, reduces crime

Post  Jeanie Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:I see your street lights are still on 24/7 Jeanie.

What a waste!

They have still to connect ours, we have got holes, new poles and barriers which the kids love to move, the barriers not holes!

Yes ours are still on 24/7 Keith maybe that's why yours are still not connected they can't afford to pay the bill for our street Wink

Mind you on saying that we received our gas bill today I nearly had an heart attack £460 then we checked on their reading to ours and it was 166 units over the top I wouldn't mind but he shone his torch on the meter when he came to read it at 7pm last week anyway at least it will be only half the bill we got today No
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Switch off street lighting, reduces crime - Page 2 Empty Re: Switch off street lighting, reduces crime

Post  Charly Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Trying it on hoping people just pay up without checking.
My gas supplier tried to up my direct debit recently, they soon agreed to drop it back down once I asked them why it was doubling when I had new combi boiler less than 2 years ago and my usage was halved.
They had my last winters costs to go off.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:Seems that switching off street lighting can help reduce crime, should Rochdale follow these examples?

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2012/10/scare-mongering-over-street-lighting-reduction-not-backed-by-evidence.html

I am not sure about crime reduction but as far as motorways are concerned the majority have never been lit and drivers tend to slow down simply because visibility is not as good as lit stretches.
I don't know if ordinary street lighting can be dimmed, but if it can I see no reason why it shouln't be after a certain hour 10pm perhaps.
Switching some streets off altogether might be worth trying,again after a certain hour.
Speaking as someone who does a bit of stargazing, the celestial type I mean, dark skies would be very welcome. Apparently there are people today who have never seen the milky way and never will unless they go to the far North of Britain or some such dark place.
We all get used to things being a certain way and we are fearful of change. It doesn't mean that some changes are not worth trying.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Charly wrote:Trying it on hoping people just pay up without checking.
My gas supplier tried to up my direct debit recently, they soon agreed to drop it back down once I asked them why it was doubling when I had new combi boiler less than 2 years ago and my usage was halved.
They had my last winters costs to go off.

They tried to put my 86 year old Mum's up to £78 yesterday I walked in just in time to take over her phone call from them Mad
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 pm

The new one's being fitted can be reduced in power (remotely) and even switched off.

I too would like to see the stars more clearly, as you say past it a lot of people are missing a great sight. Have you been to the Astronomy Centre at Todd?

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Jeanie wrote:They tried to put my 86 year old Mum's up to £78 yesterday I walked in just in time to take over her phone call from them Mad

Well done Jeanie, those power companies are rip off merchants and prey on those who are not clued up how they operate.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 pm

If only the petrol companies were as easy to deal with!

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 am

keithatrochdale wrote:If only the petrol companies were as easy to deal with!

No hope there Keith!
Banks sometime bow to pressure though, I just got a 6 month interest free period on 2 credit cards .
I rang up and asked for a reduction in interest rate and was refused so told them I would be transferring the balances to another provider, I got 4 phone calls over the course of the next day trying to convince me to stay with them, I kept refusing and they finally offered me the interest free period. Saves me around £25 a month in interest which I will just use to pay off the balance Wink
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 am

OMG! just had a neighbour come to ask me if we've seen the rats that presumably have been disturbed and coming out of these gaping holes where the new lights are still not connected up!
Looks like there's only myself and my daughter who hasnt seen them, she's been on nights so that might explain why she hasnt seen any...!
Apparently there were 2 playing on the space next to my house yesterday...eeeeeek What a Face
I'll kill him if hes winding me up!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am

Just been talking to a very nice man and he is surprised by the length of testing of the lights, shocked at the rat problem and also says that the woks should not make pedestrians have to walk on the road to get past the works.

Please can anybody that has problems like this please ring him on Freephone Tel: 0800 015 0452 the more people that make them aware the better.
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

Who is this very nice man that you speak off?

A Cllr? Someone in the know?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 pm

He works for EON and has to log all complaints at the above number.

If anybody with problems could PLEASE RING the above number and log their complaints that would be very helpful.

Seems the lights should only be on for a day or so Jeanie so perhaps you might like to tell them?

He is sending somebody out to look at the problems and there should be action by next week, if not RING him again.

Last edited by keithatrochdale on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spolling)
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

It's the usual policy of firms, organisations and councils, to put a genuinely well meaning person who cares and takes things seriously to talk to the public, then when he/she wears out, put another one in place. Meanwhile back at the ranch it's business as usual. Smile

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm

That may well be true, but we need to try and give them a large number of complaints; if nothing is done we have the ammunition to give to our local Councillor.

We really do need to try this first.

Who is our local Councillor?

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Another question worth asking is, why are we having yesterdays out date technology fitted? Seems if we want to improve street lighting we should be using the latest equipment - surely to do otherwise is just a waste of money!

Meant to include this link;

Future proof?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

The new light outside my house has been switched on tonight, mind you its the only one on the street in use, everywhere is dark except immediately outside my house
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm

We have had about five connected today.

How are the rats?
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm tryng to avoid seeing them, I'd probably freak out.
I think they may have been in my back garden at some points because my dogs were barking at the back door and there was nothing I could see that may have spooked them...unless they could smell a rat!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Must say it is starting to look better, once you get used to the white light.

Just wish they had used the latest LED technology which would have used much less power and saved the cost of a future changeover at some time.
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Told a "local" Councillor tonight that our street was lite up 24/7 his reply was "it wasn't a problem as the council weren't being charged for it" !

Then told him how dark the street was in general especially a certain quinel leading off through the estate his reply was "oh dear" so I asked him to have an evening walk round to see for himself, now I know it isn't election time so don't be to shocked if you "DO" see one Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Still pitch black in the opposite corner of our street, there's just the one light outside my house.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Charly wrote:Still pitch black in the opposite corner of our street, there's just the one light outside my house.

Un acceptable No
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Jeanie your streetlights are now switching on and off, well it looked that way today during daylight.

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Charly wrote:Still pitch black in the opposite corner of our street, there's just the one light outside my house.

And the orange one towards Stepps Meadows.

They do seem to be getting more and more connected; guess the weather does not help.
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:
And the orange one towards Stepps Meadows.

I was meaning across the car park area Keith, the houses and flats in that corner are in total darkness, once you get to that end of the street where the old orange light is you have the Steps Meadow lights so its not dark.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next