Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does charity really begin at home?

+5
Hinch
Irishman
johnb
Jeanie
Charly
9 posters

Go down

Does charity really begin at home? Empty Does charity really begin at home?

Post  Charly Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Benefit reductions for our sick and elderly as well as families.
Housing benefit changes that will make a lot more people homeless.
NHS services going down the pan.
Increased food, petrol, gas, electricity prices.
Food banks opening up at the rate of 4 a week to help people struggling to feed themselves and their families.
2.5 million unemployed

On the other hand...
India
UK aid 2010/11: £274m
UK aid in 2014/15: £280m
& change: +2.19%
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.12bn

Ethiopia
UK aid 2010/11: £241m
UK aid in 2014/15: £390m
& change: +61.83
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.325bn

Pakistan
UK aid 2010/11: £215m
UK aid in 2014/15: £446m
& change: +107.44
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.392bn

Bangladesh
UK aid 2010/11: £157m
UK aid in 2014/15: £300m
& change: +91.08
Total aid 2010-2015: £1bn

Nigeria
UK aid 2010/11: £141m
UK aid in 2014/15: £305m
& change: +116.31
Total aid 2010-2015: £1bn

Africa Regional
UK aid 2010/11: £150m
UK aid in 2014/15: £220m
& change: +2.19%
Total aid 2010-2015: £813m

Afghanistan
UK aid 2010/11: £178m
UK aid in 2014/15: £178m
& change: -
Total aid 2010-2015: £710m

Tanzania
UK aid 2010/11: £150m
UK aid in 2014/15: £168m
& change: +12.00
Total aid 2010-2015: £643m

Dem Rep Congo
UK aid 2010/11: £133m
UK aid in 2014/15: £258m
& change: +93.98
Total aid 2010-2015: £790m

Sudan
UK aid 2010/11: £132m
UK aid in 2014/15: £140m
& change: +6.06
Total aid 2010-2015: £560m
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Does charity really begin at home? Empty Re: Does charity really begin at home?

Post  Jeanie Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes it does and high time this money was stopped our own are struggling to make ends meet some of the aid money sent never reaches them and in most cases they are the richest countries !
Look after Britain look after our people who are suffering.
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:44 am

And your point is?

Our wealth has been made on the backs of, and frequently from the blood and guts of such countries as these. Is it not right and proper we give back what we have taken.

You are after all a great one for reparations - at home!
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Not forgetting the 9.5 Billion we've spent on a war based on lies and the tab goes on.

I know where I would rather the money went, the great work we do for others less fortunate than ourselves.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Am a big believer in living up to our international commitments; particularly in countries we have raped and pillaged over centures and make the Vikings' and Attila the Hun's efforts pale by comparison.

However, it is hard to justify our continuing handouts to India in the light of its multi-million pound nuclear defence budget as millions of its people live in the worst kind of below-subsistance-rate poverty.

Charity should begin with a duty to look after your own people in preference to vanity projects.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Especially when they dont want or need the aid;

The UK government made its decision to pull its £280m aid package to India as the country 'no longer needs or wants the aid'.

India's own finance minister acknowledged that the nation's place in the world has changed, describing the UK's annual handout as "a peanut in our total development expenditure".The Department for International Development (DfID) announced that the money will instead be spread across poorer nations.

Perhaps our poor would appreciate a few 'peanuts'
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm

The Indian aid then can be redistributed to the other countries that DO need the aid, to all them that we as a country raped , and messed up in the first place and others that need the support. If we can export murder and violence then we can export good and help.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:40 pm

The ONLY reason we have poor in this country is the failure of the system to adequately redistribute the wealth of the country to all it's citizens. We are still one of the very richest countries in the world, but 1% have 95% of the wealth.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:The Indian aid then can be redistributed to the other countries that DO need the aid, to all them that we as a country raped , and messed up in the first place and others that need the support. If we can export murder and violence then we can export good and help.

As it said in my post;

The Department for International Development (DfID) announced that the money will instead be spread across poorer nations.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Sorry Charly, meant to say the aid WILL be not, CAN be, redistributed. Also should have said, so the Indian aid etc.
Well spotted. Very Happy
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I think its very sad when old people in their 70's 80's and 90's who have to wait for a home care assistant to come get them out of bed in the morning, get them washed, dressed and breakfast made in 15-20 mins and have to pay a large fee for the service with the care assistants having to rush between 'clients' (without pay on the journeys between!) yet we are very helpful to other countries.
Maybe you are right with the failure to distribute wealth correctly, but the fact is still there that old people will die this winter for lack of warmth because they are frightened of the fuel bills.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Agree it's a disgrace re the elderly in our country, but that does not mean that we cannot support others who are even worse off.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah maybe you're right UTD, just let ours die eh?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Not at all Charly. If our people die it's because our governments fail to redistribute the wealth properly. Far too much is spent on "defence", monarchy etc in my opinion.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:. Far too much is spent on "defence", monarchy etc in my opinion.

And overseas aid maybe?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I don't think so, you do. No point carrying on with debating this, as we have covered this subject if not on here but certainly on the old forum.

0.7% of our wealth is not a lot or too much to spend compared with the Billions of ponds worth of wealth this country stole from a lot of the poor countries in the world. Of course this country could always just be seen in a negative way.

We will have to agree to disagree.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:26 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:
We will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, we will .
I see the old ladies in their own homes who I'm talking about.
I've taken supplies into the slums of India and I love the place but the government aid just doesnt get to the people who need it, the richest man in the world is an Indian.
I once took school supplies to the Gambia, next to the presidents palace was a hospital where women were lay on mats outside because they didnt have the dalasi to go inside to have their babies
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Let's not ever forget that when all these countries were being raped of their wealth by our country the majority of people in this country were living in desperate poverty and some still are. WE do not have the wealth that was stolen it went into private pockets.

It's never been about over here or over there as far as I am concerned. It has always been about the haves and have nots.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:22 am

Ring fencing foreign aid has never been one of my 'likes'. It should, like everything else, be subject to availability of funds. There are few items I would ring fence. Those would be Health, Food and Shelter. When this countries population have the aforementioned in basic form I see no reason why 'others' should not benefit from aid where it is 'really' needed. (This should always be given in 'kind', not money, and seen to be distributed to the 'needy' properly). Governments and State Organisations should not be recipients of aid monies. Many are not to be trusted.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 am

Decisions on foreign aid have been made by politicians for political reasons. The ring-fencing of foreign aid would only make sense if foreign aid was an indisputably good and essential item.

There is very little to support that idea. Foreign aid is different to charity. Foreign aid is a political arrangement, money passing from government to government for largely obscure reasons, with often bad results for populations. Some countries both give and receive foreign aid, being given money so they can give it away.

While there is pain and poverty especially for the elderly in this country, the idea of billions of pounds being given away in foreign aid appears more of a tragedy than something to be pleased about.

As with many things, opinions on this will vary according to what people believe to be the facts. Accounts from people in countries that receive foreign aid often show foreign aid to be a bad, unfair, corrupt business that often cripples local economies and props up dictatorships.

It would be better to reserve a certain amount of the national budget to be used at the discretion of parliament to relieve populations around the world as events unfold, to take food directly to famine victims etc. The 'circus' of foreign aid as it exists can do as much damage as it does good, as turned out in Haiti after the earthquake there.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Irish says in the 'Honesty' thread

Certainly today when I hear things like charity begins at home and we should not help others in a far worse situation by giving hand outs, (I’m alright Jack to hell with you) attitude is sad to hear.

This is from AgeUK

Challenging the disgrace of winter deaths

Every winter, thousands of older people in England become seriously ill or even die as a result of the cold.

Over the past ten years, there have been on average 26,700 'excess winter deaths' each winter in England and Wales, the vast majority among older people. This is more than fifteen times the number of people who died in road accidents last year.

Cold weather also causes a massive increase in health problems such as heart attacks, strokes and breathing difficulties among people in later life. It is causing untold distress to older people and their families and is a massive cost to the NHS.

‘When I was young, being cold wasn’t an issue, it never occurred to me it could be a problem. But as I’ve got older staying warm has become my priority. Being older, and less active, it’s so hard to ward off the cold.’ Dreda, 94
Age UK believe that this is a national disgrace. We are calling on national and local government to take action now.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down