Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The life of a skip

+7
Poppyanna555
Jeanie
Striding
Hinch
Charly
southernbelle
hovis
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The life of a skip Empty The life of a skip

Post  hovis Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:12 pm

We are moving house, so on Friday we ordered a skip forthe day, just to clear the sheds and greenhouse of the detritis that appears over the years. It took a couple of hours and at 2-30pm l rang to ask them to remove it but it being Friday afternoon, they didnt so l suppose it will be Monday before they move it. Its in the drive out of the way so we don't mind. The thing is, we noticed that some things were being taken out, and some 'new' things have appeared.

We are now not sure if anything in it is what we put in. It has become quite a talking point in our house and given us hours of amusement.

Does anyone else dump or take out of skips that they see? If you do have you found any treasures?

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

The life of a skip Empty Re: The life of a skip

Post  southernbelle Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm

My other half loves a good skip! He got a table out once years ago that he sold at auction for £25, sadly he has never forgotten this, and keeps trying to relive former glories.

Myself I prefer a second hand shop.

southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

I took a snow board and boots out of a skip and Freecycled it only to find the guy who I passed it on to sold it on E-Bay!
My son told me the value was between £500-£700. I was mad that I had given it freely to someone who I thought wanted it for his own use and then find out he just wanted it to sell. Evil or Very Mad
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 pm

I got Mrs H out of a skip
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

The life of a skip Empty skip surfing

Post  Striding Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:19 pm

What was she doing in there? ... and what were you looking for?

I've got a few items of furniture being thrown out by my workplaces, a chair that just needed patching or recovering was in the skip ready to go, a large four-drawer filing cabinet (for a £5 donation) that was about to be scrapped - now painted up and stores all paperwork, and a £100 swivel desk chair that was the wrong colour - sitting on it now 10 years later! (all examples from time in the private sector)

I loved the episode of One Foot in the Grave, when Victor Meldrew comes in the morning out to find that overnight his skip has been filled up with others' rubbish, including a 2CV car, containing an old mattress.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Be careful taking from a skip on private land, I recall watching a programme earlier this year and a man was arrested and charged with stealing for doing just that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Who needs to go 'dumpster-diving' when you have recycling websites?

My two grandsons are now living with me for a while and I needed an extra bed, and a computer table. I put an add on a website and within THIRTY MINUTES I had got a bed, a bedside table and a lamp; all matching and as good as new including mattress. I then got a computer table and a load of bedding, freshly laundered and ironed. All for nothing.

Pleased as punch.

I have loads of books to clear out so I will offer these in return.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Yes, Hinch I've passed loads of stuff on and had things in return, its a great idea isnt it.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 pm

I've been doing it for a couple of years.

Have given LOADS of stuff and received in return.

You meet some great people doing it.

I once got £300's worth of up to date law books. Also had TVs, freecycle box, conservatory furniture, a stereo (Grundig), PS3 games, a French language course, a laptop and once I got an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels.

I once gave a brand new caravan awning which cost me £200 but I never used.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm

I think the oddest thing I gave was a few lengths of carpet gripper that someone asked for, it was just sat in the back cupboard..I knew it would come in handy one day.
Last week , as a very long shot, I offered a 21 year old Silver Cross pushchair that had been in the attic for years but still in excellent condition...it was gone within half an hour and the woman who came said it was just what she was looking for as all the newer types didnt seem as sturdy

Last edited by Charly on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 pm

I remember ordering a skip (when I was in council) for Charly's area it was dropped of at 7.30 am. I received a phone call at 7.45 to say it was full and overflowing do you remember that Charly it was so funny certain persons were throwing stuff out to get theirs in and were still in their pyjamas Laughing ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Yes, I do remember that Jeanie...it was the same every time.
We could do with another one ...do you think it would be worth asking?
I see Smallbridge estate had some skips dropped off last week
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Charly wrote:Yes, I do remember that Jeanie...it was the same every time.
We could do with another one ...do you think it would be worth asking?
I see Smallbridge estate had some skips dropped off last week

Worth a try the money for skips is there it is separate from the rest of the funding Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 pm

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Could do with a free skip around the Belfield Road area, maybe the litter bugs will see one of those rather than walk past it as they chuck their litter onto the pavement (and maybe even the mattresses and furniture might find their way there too instead of being thrown out onto the streets) Evil or Very Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

Yes, skips full of rubbish are not a pretty sight, but, if provided on a regular basis, over a year or two, are a cost effective way of improving an area that has social problems.

People can start to feel better about themselves and their lives when they are not living surrounded by rubbish and unwanted items. It can take time, people may only now and then have a mood and motivation where they want rid of such things, but, whatever way you try to improve an area takes time, that's inevitable, you have to start somewhere.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 am

Poppyanna555 wrote:Could do with a free skip around the Belfield Road area, maybe the litter bugs will see one of those rather than walk past it as they chuck their litter onto the pavement (and maybe even the mattresses and furniture might find their way there too instead of being thrown out onto the streets) Evil or Very Mad

I dont think it helped when the council reintroduced the charge for removing bulky household items and I think I remember a time when there were 'kerbside collections' every now and then when people could put their bulky items at the kerbside on a specified day and they would be collected.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 am

hovis wrote:We are moving house, so on Friday we ordered a skip forthe day, just to clear the sheds and greenhouse of the detritis that appears over the years. It took a couple of hours and at 2-30pm l rang to ask them to remove it but it being Friday afternoon, they didnt so l suppose it will be Monday before they move it. Its in the drive out of the way so we don't mind. The thing is, we noticed that some things were being taken out, and some 'new' things have appeared.

We are now not sure if anything in it is what we put in. It has become quite a talking point in our house and given us hours of amusement.

Does anyone else dump or take out of skips that they see? If you do have you found any treasures?

I sometimes have a rumage through the skip. But only after I have asked permission to do so. I have found some stone flags for the garden and some off cuts of wood which all help.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  hovis Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 am

the things we put in the skip we felt were not worth taking to the local charity shop ( which have had bags of clothes and bric a brak from us ) so was surprised what we thought was rubbish someone eles can use. we think its great that other people find can use from things we dont want. have never looked in somone eles skip but l may do now l have herd of all the bargains you all have found

hovis
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 am

Its a crying shame what you see being disposed off at the local Recycling Tip at Rochdale. I saw a good portion of a drum set being dumped. Im no expert but the stands etc looked in pretty good nick to me.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Charly wrote: I remember a time when there were 'kerbside collections' every now and then when people could put their bulky items at the kerbside on a specified day and they would be collected.

Yes Charly, I remember that happening too, although it seemed very short-lived. I guess it would have to be 'ongoing' to make a difference, certainly in my area where the rubbish has been removed and replaced within 24 hours! No chance of the above scheme happening now though considering the council cuts, I have my doubts whether my local streets have even seen a road sweep vehicle for months as the rubbish seems to have been around all summer. Having said that, it could be that (as with the furniture) the council are fighting a losing battle.

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Well I've just spoken to the housing officer for my area to ask about the possibility of skips on this estate being provided like they were in Smallbridge.
No dates as yet but when the regeneration action for this estate starts there is the chance for tenants to say how they spend whatever money is available.
RBH say they do not have funds for providing skips for rubbish removal.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:55 pm

No surprise there then Charly Sad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

I remember clearly skips at the top of Longfield Road in Spotland when I was a kid.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 pm

And why should RBH fund skips? I have to pay for a skip if I need one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next