Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outrageous council tax rise proposed

+5
Jeanie
Chill37
johnb
cyfrifia
Hinch
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Outrageous council tax rise proposed - Page 2 Empty Re: Outrageous council tax rise proposed

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am

The large events in history are surprising one way and the other, even for those who have an inkling of what is developing. I expect people were surprised by the reality of the atomic bombs that ended world war two. It's surprising that we haven't all been blown to bits since then. People were surprised when men landed on the moon, so much so that many don't believe it.

I expect Chill37 would be surprised if the dustbin collections suddenly improve.

The future is surprising, mainly because it hasn't happened before, so people are not used to it. It would be surprising if an electromechanical genius started using recycled mobile phones, computers, and bits of old cars and microwave ovens to manufacture small but efficient household robots in a shed somewhere and founded a company that made Rochdale the world centre of a new age of robotic devices.

That might not happen though.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Outrageous council tax rise proposed - Page 2 Empty Re: Outrageous council tax rise proposed

Post  johnb Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 am

The idea of the cuts is to make councils spend their money more efficiently, not prune services to preserve the artifice of the local government machine.

I have worked all my life in private industry. If I had been only half as inefficient and inept as successive council administrations I would have been sacked for incompetence and be contemplating the world from the gutter.

This lot however keep snouts in the trough whatever the pain to the populace.

It makes you sick!
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:23 am

Hear. Hear. - --- But who is going to realise that and get rid of them before they do any more damage?????????? And can you guarantee the new lot won't be just as inept, unexperienced and destructive as your last lot have been. Uni degrees will never take the place of common sense and experience - so sad. So very sad.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:31 pm

cyfrifia wrote:The large events in history are surprising one way and the other, even for those who have an inkling of what is developing. I expect people were surprised by the reality of the atomic bombs that ended world war two. It's surprising that we haven't all been blown to bits since then. People were surprised when men landed on the moon, so much so that many don't believe it.

I expect Chill37 would be surprised if the dustbin collections suddenly improve. In fact i expect come the end of this year bins will be once a month or even longer!

The future is surprising, mainly because it hasn't happened before, so people are not used to it. It would be surprising if an electromechanical genius started using recycled mobile phones, computers, and bits of old cars and microwave ovens to manufacture small but efficient household robots in a shed somewhere and founded a company that made Rochdale the world centre of a new age of robotic devices.

That might not happen though.

I can rest assure you that nothing surprises me about RMBC anymore. And it takes a lot more than bin collections to get me giddy. I am used to having my bins collected once a fortnight. But NOT after 5 or so weeks its unhealthy and will attract vermin. Yes I too was in the very long queue at Chichester Street. Maybe I will with hold my part of the Council Tax in payment for the work Im doing on behalf of RMBC. Yes I know the Tax is being spent on paying of inept managers.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 pm

johnb wrote:The idea of the cuts is to make councils spend their money more efficiently, not prune services to preserve the artifice of the local government machine.

I have worked all my life in private industry. If I had been only half as inefficient and inept as successive council administrations I would have been sacked for incompetence and be contemplating the world from the gutter.

This lot however keep snouts in the trough whatever the pain to the populace.

It makes you sick!
Have to agree with you. It's an utter disgrace.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 pm

' Rochdale Council will use a "technicality" to avoid a borough-wide public vote on a 3.5% council tax rise '

scratch

In December 2012, it was announced that any council who tried to increase rates by more than 2% would have to hold a public referendum on the rise before it was enacted. It seems Rochdale's council tax rise is scheduled to be finalised by the council next month, for implemention from April.

Apparently there's a loophole in the Localism Act, if you look hard enough, that allows calculations of the relevant basic council tax to exclude at least the Passenger Transport Levy and the Waste Disposal Levy (topical!).

All I know is that we're going to be paying more for less, but RMBC chiefs now claim the council's increase to the relevant basic amount of council tax is below 2%.
Spiel, spin .... translators needed Mad It's beyond a disgrace

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Now come on, this is getting ridiculous. Did anyone actually EXPECT RMBC to hold a public referendum on this issue with all the time and cost involved if they didn't legally have to?

Would this have been a sensible and acceptable use of taxpayers' money or would we too have then used this as another stick to beat them with? (NOTE: Rhetorical question.)

By 'legal loophole' I take it that in this case, the term is used to mean 'acting legally'.

I know they are a crowd of shysters and all that but if the law allows them to exclude PTL and WDL in their calculations then certainly we would expect them to do just that... wouldn't we?

''COUNCIL ACTS WITHIN THE LAW TO AVOID COSTLY REFERENDUM"
is hardly going to have me rushing out to the news-stands.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Sadly they are just creating more debt which will never be collected confused
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Hinch wrote: Now come on, this is getting ridiculous. Did anyone actually EXPECT RMBC to hold a public referendum on this issue with all the time and cost involved if they didn't legally have to?

Would this have been a sensible and acceptable use of taxpayers' money or would we too have then used this as another stick to beat them with? (NOTE: Rhetorical question.)

By 'legal loophole' I take it that in this case, the term is used to mean 'acting legally'.

I know they are a crowd of shysters and all that but if the law allows them to exclude PTL and WDL in their calculations then certainly we would expect them to do just that... wouldn't we?

''COUNCIL ACTS WITHIN THE LAW TO AVOID COSTLY REFERENDUM"
is hardly going to have me rushing out to the news-stands

Laughing Government quote, ‘We have changed the law to give local residents the power to veto excessive Council Tax rises.’

The versatility of the resultant law is unsurprisingly assine. It breaches human rights by its crude ‘Get Out Of Jail Cards’ alone.

RMBC personnel have been primed for public speak about the Waste Disposal Levy element of council tax … hence Teamplayer’s sad narratives on the thread ‘Rubbish RMBC.’

Voter apathy would be unlikely on this subject and Rochdale’s burgeoning army of cohesive volunteers (well-lauded in Borough Policies and strategies by the ruling council and its close associates ) could have organised a referendum at less cost to the taxpayer than a fistful of some RMBC early retirements.

Most pertinently, as a leading local Member of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, you potentially have to try and get Loonier, because the Party's being out-Loonied here by our local mainstreamers and T H A T .... I S .... R I D I C U L O U S.

Bring in the national media even, as Rochdale can afford to be in the news again. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Mojo Hill wrote: Most pertinently, as a leading local Member of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, you potentially have to try and get Loonier, because the Party's being out-Loonied here by our local mainstreamers and T H A T .... I S .... R I D I C U L O U S. [/size]

Bring in the national media even, as Rochdale can afford to be in the news again. cheers

The local OMRLP have yet to have their opening meeting which will indeed be looking at local policies. We are of course slightly disadvantaged in that the other three 'main' parties have been acting like Loonies for years.

One particular policy area that I will be looking at with my Portfolio-Holder for Vision and Steam Traction is Metrolink which we propose to rename the 'Scrote-Shuttle'.

We are deeply concerned that this could take existing shoppers OUT of Rochdale so we are proposing, in connection with our sponsors, Hornby-Dublo, a few tweaks to the system which will involve it operating on a large circular track within the Borough enabling it to carry people wherever they wish to go as long as it is in Rochdale, Heywood or Middleton. A surcharge of £50 will be made on anyone wishing to go further than Newhey.

Also considering the purchase of a fright-wig for the council leader to make him appear less like Max Wall and enable him to be treated with the gravitas that he so richly deserves.

Perhaps an increase in Council Tax could be justified if the extra sum was used to purchase National Lottery tickets to fund the new shopping centre and as a sweetener to persuade JD Wetherpoons to open an outlet in Castleton.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Matthew Sinclair of the TaxPayers’ Alliance urged other councils not to follow Rochdale’s example. He said: "This is a disgraceful and undemocratic attempt to take even more money from local taxpayers."

"It is time all local authorities learned from those councillors working hard to deliver lower bills for local taxpayers. They shouldn’t follow Rochdale’s dismal example, finding more and more creative ways of fleecing residents."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/council-spending/9788161/Homeowners-face-inflation-busting-increase-in-council-tax-bills-because-of-loophole.html

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 am

"Rochdale Conservative chief, Coun Ashley Dearnley, has requested David Cameron investigates the town hall’s decision to hike the average annual bill by £50 in April."

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1597638_david-cameron-asked-to-probe-rochdale-tax-increase

I don't suppose that means very much, but there it is.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Wonder if RMBC will adopt this idea from York?

http://youchoose.yougov.com/York/

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Council Tax increases of 3.7% in Manchester and 2% in Wigan have been announced.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Hinch wrote:Council Tax increases of 3.7% in Manchester and 2% in Wigan have been announced.

I wonder if Manchester will have the referendum. Or will they cheat democracy like Rochdale did?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 am

I see all 39 Labour Councillors voted against freezing council tax.

Remind me of a song "Puppet on a string".

I do wish the councillors would grow a pair and start representing the people who elected them and do what is best for them. This latest increase will be the final straw for a lot of families who just struggle to keep their head above water. Will be interesting to see how many have to give up work now and what will happen to the crime figures.

But carry on ploughing in thousands of pounds into new offices and building new car parks!
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Some people like all the extra (surplus) car parks being built in Rochdale.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I dont know why we need all the car parking spaces...there's nowhere to go!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2