Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And the council said let there be light...

+9
Jeanie
southernbelle
Voddie
johnb
Old Regulator
Hinch
Chill37
Dalelad
anexium
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

And the council said let there be light... Empty And the council said let there be light...

Post  Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

And there is light, all night, every night, including over Christmas and New Year!

Granted the light does make an ugly building look better but at what cost?

And the council said let there be light... 2013%2023:05:03
© Journeaux

Back to top Go down

And the council said let there be light... Empty Could be cheaper...

Post  anexium Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

There is the belief that when you reach a certain number of fluorescent lights it can be cheaper to leave them on 24/7 than turn them off and on when needed. It's to do with the amount of power they use to start up being much greater than the amount required to keep them running. That said, I've not done the maths so it could be an urban myth.

Plus, I'd imagine the council will be paying a flat fee for the electricity. In fact, aren't they getting it cheap(er) because of the screw/turnbine that's in the river?

ps, nice picture btw.

Last edited by anexium on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the ps to compliment the photograph.)
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

http://www.anexium.com

Back to top Go down

And the council said let there be light... Empty Re: And the council said let there be light...

Post  Dalelad Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

And the council said let there be light... Empty Re: And the council said let there be light...

Post  Chill37 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Im sure someone over the old RO board debunked the actual power of the turbine?
#

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm

JohnB I think it was.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm

And here’s me thinking the topic was the enlightenment of the council to stop censoring local Online news coverage.

I would hope that the lighting is low energy fittings, you know the ones we are told to use by Errrrm the council, so not the old fluorescent 60 watts.

The Archimedes screw, and boy could he, will at best power the lights in the new uphill bus station. Have solar panels been installed on the white elephant’s roof?

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I think it's an ugly waste of resource - lights or no lights.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Voddie Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:24 pm

I thought it was a very ugly building but seeing it from that angle with lights on Im quite drawn to it...... unless I am being fooled by the dark Shocked
Voddie
Voddie
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

So if there was a power cut would this huge over-rated new build be affected or have they got their own generator ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 am

Of course they have. It's called a council tax hike. From 3.7% to 4%. Generates all that they require. Wonderful machine. It's called a sausage grinder. And guess who's coming to dinner?
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Newgate House is closing down in June ... yet another large empty central building, or is this also to be demolished for car parking ?

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 pm

No... They will build the new 'Arts Centre' there - provided they don't encroach on the Sunken Gardens.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 am

Why would you pull down Newgate House!!! Surely it's big enough to house an Arts Centre?
And what monstrosity are they going to erect opposite one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in Europe? Give me strength - - - -!! Rolling Eyes affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 pm

I was being ironic... As doubtless you were about the monstrosities they would build opposite the town hall.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 am

'Phew'. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Atlas wrote:'Phew'. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Atlas: No "Phew" relief. Crying or Very sad I slid past there today and it’s a sorry mess. On one side of the gardens we’ve got the large, empty, ‘For Sale’ old Magistrates Building, looking very shabby after a year’s disuse. On the other is the soon to be defunct Newgate House, already near-deserted. Does anyone really think they’ll be bought, and used by whom and for what? The town hall could outlook imminent Grot Spots.

Just testing!

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/76829/put-that-light-out-anger-at-new-council-offices-permanent-illumination

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 am

Dont worry they will be demolished soon enough for more car park spaces.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

A typical negative, myopic post from MJH.

Obviously with all the big name retailers jostling to take up space in Town Centre East, there will simply be not enough room to house them all. This is surely where Newgate House and the old Magistrates Court come into their own as rejuvenated subsidiary retail centres to house the overspill?

The Memorial Gardens will become a new piazza where shoppers will be able to sip their skinny lattes and nibble on their canapes as they gaze over at the banner-festooned Town Hall advertising cashforyouroldbanger.com across the newly-reopened river after a hectic days shopping in the two recommissioned buildings. (Renamed Town Centre East North East.)

Cafes Rouge and Nero are signed up already and I have heard rumours that Gordon Ramsey is on the point of having plans drawn up to provide a 160-seat restaurant where Rochdale's dispossessed once queued up to be interviewed under caution for alleged benefit fraud.

Plans for The Sir Cyril Smith Arts and Youth Heritage Centre will be announced shortly and an artificial ski-slope will be sited on the Church Steps with apres-ski entertainment and fondue being served at the Flying Horse.

Come on MJH, let's have a bit more positivity!

Last edited by Hinch on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

What is worse, Chill? An empty vandalised building that no one wants or a piece of land that is in use?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Dalelad wrote:What is worse, Chill? An empty vandalised building that no one wants or a piece of land that is in use?

How do you know no-one wants the buildings? Have they not been put on sale? Oh silly me they wil fall foul of RMBC scorched earth policey.
Or how about a building with new life breathed into it. Maybe as an Arts Centre or other public use.

But if you are happy having buildings fall into ruin then has to be demolished and yet more car parking spaces created then thats ok with me.

Im surprsied we havnt had a Cllr or two singing from the rooftops about how a 'major' occupier is about to buy the two buildings yet.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm not happy with all the empty buildings, Chill, just being realistic. It's happening the country over and Rochdale council can't be blamed for all those can they? Times are hard and there is very little money around. Especially for buildings built in the 60s and 70s that need a fair amount of cash spending on them to bring them up to date.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm

If we were ever to have an arts centre... which won't happen in this economic climate, it will need to be purpose-built if it is to be taken seriously.

Hard to imagine what either building could be used for although an 'Aflecks Palace' in Newgate House might be fun... if the rents are right.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Dalelad wrote:I'm not happy with all the empty buildings, Chill, just being realistic. It's happening the country over and Rochdale council can't be blamed for all those can they? Times are hard and there is very little money around. Especially for buildings built in the 60s and 70s that need a fair amount of cash spending on them to bring them up to date.

I too am being realistic. RMBC clearly isnt being realistic so to a degree can be blamed. Major chains are going to the wall yet RMBC are being totally ignorant and ploughing ahead with even more retail space. How on earth Dalelad do they propose to fill it when we have two 1/2 empty shopping centres? The arrogance of RMBC is breath taking. I will say it now(unless I am 100% proven incorrect) Cllr Farooq has told a falsehood with his proclamation of BIG BRANDS signing up.

Times are hard, but look at the link I posted about Oldham and what they are doing right NOW, no p*ss poor joke of a DVD filmed on a Nokia or endless consultations or metal boxes which Rochdale a laughing stock to attract a small sum of money.Or £50m council building that will serve the Cllrs and penpushers but its of no use to attracting shoppers to our dead Town. No I'm talking about public spaces and new spaces around new Metro stops in the centre of Oldham. Bricks and stone are actually been installed. We havn't got past the crayon stage. Again I will repeat 50 Smith Street soon got put up didn't it?

How on earth has Hebden Bridge or Todmorden even Ashton survived? Oh yes played and promoted their strengths of quality independent shops. Yes there has been shops closing but it doesn't look like a war zone like Rochdale does? Nor does it look half as empty. Most Towns I go to look clean and safe and inviting. I mentioned over on RO that I dont feel safe in Rochdale (and got derided and slapped down for even mentioning it) but its true. I don't feel safe at all. On the radio 2 station today a 'expert' said Towns need to adapt and make a day into the shops a family day long event and not a chore. Be honest can you actually spend a day in Rochdale? You will be hard pressed to spend 1hr . Things are bad when Maccy D moves out!

Bottom line is numerous Councils are now on record giving false promises...the Arts Centre being the last one.

I strongly suspect the 'big names ' signing up will be the next.

So in a nutshell. Bury new shops family lesiure -cinema etc. Oldham work on new public spaces making it open and clean and inviting to people getting off the Tram.

Rochdale- new Iceland store. New Council block with 16k light fitting, and waste land war zone landscape effect . Oh a bus station on a hill . That slopes. Set away from the tram stop. It was a blank canvas to have a seemless interchange. But no even that was fowled up

You could not and cannot make it up.

So yes RMBC is to blame.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Hinch wrote:If we were ever to have an arts centre... which won't happen in this economic climate, it will need to be purpose-built if it is to be taken seriously.

Hard to imagine what either building could be used for although an 'Aflecks Palace' in Newgate House might be fun... if the rents are right.

Spot on. See the options are there instead of scorched earth policy. You can imagine it at the relevant meeting and Powerpoint Presentation.

Cllr A - "I see we have two large empty building'
Cllr B - "Tear them down"
Cllr A "Good Idea"
Cllr B - starts the Powerpoint presentation of the artists impression of the new waste land car park."See how the wooden picket fence really highlights the uneven surface..."

Made me smile Hinch with your words 'taken seriously'

Don't think RMBC and Taken Seriously can ever be in the same sentence after the metal bins and the Promo Mobile Phone footage.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next