Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyril Smith: New biography

+4
Atlas
cyfrifia
Spartacus
Hinch
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Cyril Smith: New biography - Page 3 Empty Re: Cyril Smith: New biography

Post  Prudence Tempered Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:11 am

Then it's your duty to name them.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:13 pm

They have been and to the appropriate authorities rather than an Internet chat forum by several people over many years.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 am

Harriet Harman has responded to a campaign of investigative journalism. This seems to be part of the same story of the rather different attitudes at the time involved in the Cyril Smith story.
Unfortunately Harriet Harman will not give a straight answer to a straight question, but is that just a matter of her political style, or stubborn avoidance of the facts?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm

As more information is dug up about what was going on with Harriet Harman, her husband, the P.I.E., and connections and attitudes in politics in the 1970s, The BBC is picking up on the story.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26352378
It was very different times then, and we have to wonder what sort of political social circles Cyril Smith and his associates moved in.
Harriet Harman appears to be one of those politicians who care so much more passionately about their own political charisma and career than about the facts. By strenuously denying what may be quite remote and even innocent links to the P.I.E. and counter attacking against those who question her, she gives the impression she has something to hide.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48 pm

I was at the book launch last night, bristling with reporter's notebook, voice-recorder and dipping my snout frequently into the free Prosecco and Czech lager-filled lager trough. I declined the proffered nibbles though in the name of journalistic, post-Leveson integrity

I interviewed the authors. Report should be up on RO later today.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Well somebody is getting a lot of advertising that they could not buy and a shop too!

I am waiting to see how big a share of the profits are donated to a fund for the victims - after all it would be morally wrong to profit from others misfortune and the authors are of 'high moral character'.

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 am

You seem to want it all ways keithatrochdale. You moan when he makes a loss and you moan when he makes a profit. The man can't do right for doing wrong can he! You can please some of the people some of the time etc etc. Tch.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 am

You have spent too much time in The Land of My Fathers Atlas. Have you forgotten that the good citizenry of your birth-town are far more comfortable with doom, gloom and failure? Its in our psyche.

As for the free publicity for Danczuk's Deli, yes, I'm sure he'll be ordering a new Porsche on the basis of a passing mention of it on RO... NOT!

As for making money out of the misfortune of others, perhaps we should stop people writing books about the war unless they donate their profits to the British Legion?

This is a story that needed to be told and has been a long time in the telling. If it is widely read, as seems likely, so much the better.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:55 am

Atlas wrote:You seem to want it all ways keithatrochdale. You moan when he makes a loss and you moan when he makes a profit. The man can't do right for doing wrong can he! You can please some of the people some of the time etc etc. Tch.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sorry don't quite understand you, would you care to elaborate please?

Do you not find it unsettling that that people should profit from others misery? And on the back of that that the opportunity is used to gain free publicity for a new business venture after the last one going bankrupt, making many jobless and owing many lots of monies, RMBC being one I believe?

keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 am

What I find unsettling and more to the point 'destructive' is peoples attitude towards anyone that 'tries' to do 'something'. A large percentage of this country's population should 'try' (for once in their apathetic lives) to get out of bed in a morning and do instead of leaving it all to others and bemoaning the fact they haven't got the same as some others. Too much negative and far, far too little positive. Very few people who 'try' make it the first time around and for that matter the second time around. It takes guts to 'try' and make it on ones own and, not to put too fine a point on it, a bloody lot of hard work. Those that do 'try' rarely work less than 24/7 and give up what others take as a right 'the right to play for the most part'. Instead they 'choose' to make an effort to better themselves and as a consequence others around them. It does little credit to 'those' (and you know who you are) who belittle, find fault and otherwise denigrate the 'triers'. Is that clear enough? Evil or Very Mad 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  keithatrochdale Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:19 am

QUOTE;

Do you not find it unsettling that people should profit from others misery?

Well it seems that you do.
keithatrochdale
keithatrochdale
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 pm

The one who caused the misery here was Smith. It is surely legitimate in the public interest to write about it? If not then I too must be guilty for reporting on the grooming trials, SCR's etc.

I think you are playing the player rather than the ball here Keith.

If you want to go for those making profits out of human misery, why not target tobacco and alcohol manufacturers or arms dealers instead? Your cause would be far more valid.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am

Or drug dealers or people traffickers? They all make huge bags of money and far more than any one-off author. We 'all' profit from one another to some extent, but rarely see the distinction. What I abhor are those that decry the others that make an 'effort'. It's an insidious form of jealousy which has no place and which only leads to a less secure and comfortable existence for all. It's counter-productive. One should try and raise oneself above it. :roll Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 am

Researching information for 'Smile for the camera' would have involved time and effort, listening properly to accounts of victims and witnesses, and piecing together the sequence of events. The effect should be positive, helping to bring forward victims, further information and witnesses, increasing pressure for a thorough inquiry.

There is understandably a general distrust of those in the public eye praised for 'doing something'. When the true story is known it often turns out things are not so straightforward really.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am

Well said. Very Happy 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:32 am

The continuing series of articles in the Mail based on 'Smile for the camera' today reports the opinion that Rochdale council is 'whitewashing'.

Simon Danczuk Quote: "It is a whitewash. There is nothing independent about it and I think it is wrong that the council should be investigating serious allegations of abuse that they had responsibility for preventing."

Any organisation would want to protect itself against expensive litigation, a 'whitewash' to some extent is what you might expect of an organisation investigating it's own failings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2609921/Cyril-Smith-inquiry-whitewash-Rochdale-Council-probe-abuse-Knowl-View-wrong-prevented-says-MP-exposed-scandal.html

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:11 am

He's perfectly correct. Organisations of any description where negligence, wrongdoings or for that matter ignorance takes place should, if in the public interest (which this is), be subjected to outside independent scrutiny. Understandably the 'State' must protect its citizens but even then parameters should be set and not exceeded. Man doesn't always like the 'truth'. But I have yet to come across any given situation where it hasn't been beneficial in the long run. Sad Question 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Very good article Hinch- I did enjoy reading it.  I think I may get a copy of this book.

Be interesting to know who the 'Magnifcient' seven activists are.

Then, after this fantastic article i find this letter...

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/129/letters-to-the-editor/86644/allegations-about-the-late-sir-cyril-smith

Disgraceful.  But it's more concerning that there are people out there besides this attention seeker who believe Paedo Smith is innocent.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

The Magnificent Seven are not named although there is reference to 'a local hairdresser'.

I wonder who that can be?

If you want to borrow a copy of 'Big Cyril' Chill, send me your address by PM and I'll drop it in.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 am

In addition to the sadness for the man's victims comes that age-old 'reputation' which darkens not just the man but spreads its insidious tenticles across the whole of the 'town' and the 'people' this man represented. We all know that Rochdale is in the main a good town full of very decent people. Yes, it has it's bad boys, as do all places. But when a man of this stature becomes 'known' for this sort of behaviour it has that tendency to stain us all. If nothing else we all suffer in an odd sort of way. History clouds most things but this sort of 'reputation' takes much longer to die. So sad when put against all the efforts that many others have sought to portray of the town.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Chill37: Well,   Rolling Eyes  the author and Cyril Smith did have "history" together.      The author has personally documented how the former MP helped / influenced, naming the local solicitors and contacts involved, etcetera .... , when the man's own father's step-brother Ashiq faced a local court charge of indecently assaulting a female.    No, I'm not suggesting you buy one of the author's e-books but, as an easy jigsaw, these 3 extracts give a picture:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TgCc_hMZm5kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=snippet&q=Ashiq&f=false

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TgCc_hMZm5kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=snippet&q=Cyril%20Smith%20solicitor&f=false

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TgCc_hMZm5kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=snippet&q=Mr%20Greenwood&f=false

Perhaps one of the many reviews and enquiries however would benefit from perusing the author's various memoires of Cyril Smith   Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3