Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Baths: the final chapter

+7
johnb
CS
Striding
Charly
nickih
moterbiklist
Hinch
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Central Baths: the final chapter Empty Central Baths: the final chapter

Post  Hinch Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/73523/end-of-an-era-central-baths-demolished

One of my most memory-provoking journalistic assignments. I remember that penny Brylcreem dispenser so well.

Thanks to the forum-member for the tip-off. I was down there with my little Olympus at the double. If you look at the photo, you can see the art deco lines in the ribs of the roof and if you look carefully, you can see the stairs leading up to the cafe where those of us of a certain age tucked into our buttered toast and hot Oxo.

Thanks to the forum member for the texted tip-off. I was down there like you-know-what off a shovel.

Very similar in style to the old Fire Station. Rochdale was not frightened in those days of spending a few quid and putting on a bit of style. And this, by the way was back in the so-called 'Hungry Thirties'.

Tip-offs from the public beat any end of media-releases. Keep 'em coming!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Central Baths: the final chapter Empty Re: Central Baths: the final chapter

Post  moterbiklist Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 pm

hinch its not just central baths it is all the other buildings that have gone st albans church and school parish church now nye bevan centre
the old market i know you cant stand in the name of progress just wish i had been more active with the camera all those years ago Sad
moterbiklist
moterbiklist

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm

So sad to see this beautiful building being flattened. I spent my Saturday mornings being "taught" to swim by my Dad, then having tomato soup and toast upstairs in the cafe. Happy days.

More recently, my son had swimming lessons there before being frightened off by the wonderful Veronica, and he's been working there for the past year as a Lifeguard whilst doing his A Levels.

I'll miss it No
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Veronica is still there Smile
I went swimming this morning to the 'Prime Time' for over 50's, nice and peaceful.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

I know, she's his boss now!
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I've got some photos somewhere of the mill that stood where Croft Shifa now stands, in the process of demolition.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Striding Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 pm

I remember it well. The coach trick from primary school, the cold changing rooms, the cold water (except for the lovely warm learner's pool), being hit by bits of plaster falling from the roof...
The only surprise is that it was not replaced 40 years earlier.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 am

Well, Central Baths was pulled down as 'unfit for purpose' after a life of just 75 years.

The much less impressive and architecturally insignificant building housing the old Smith Street Baths is still going strong 142 years after it was built!

Even Castleton Baths has clocked up 102 years in continuous use as a swimming pool.

There must be a lesson there somewhere but it is too early in the morning to work it all out.

Last edited by hinch on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  CS Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:27 am

That has left me feeling really quite sad, I have many fond childhood memories there, mainly the amazing chips and gravy in the cafe upstairs!
CS
CS

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 am

By the way, the first 'slipper baths' were built in the 1930's. A survey in Islington in 1928 discovered that only 4% of working class homes had bathing facilities and there was a general spate of baths and public wash-house building.

They were called slipper baths because the tub was shaped like a slipper, with a high rising back, designed to keep the water hot for longer and to protect the modesty of the bather even though they were alone in a cubicle.

So now you know.

Charly, do you remember the public wash-house at Harpurhey? A lot of the women I worked with remember them very well. I think they survived into the 70's.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:11 pm

moterbiklist wrote: hinch its not just central baths it is all the other buildings that have gone st albans church and school parish church now nye bevan centre
the old market i know you cant stand in the name of progress just wish i had been more active with the camera all those years ago Sad

The artist Walter Kershaw did some great pictures of the old Top Market. One hung upstairs in David's shop in Baillie Street for years. The bottom market had been damaged by fire at the end of the war and although busy and busting, it was a bit decrepit. A lot of stalls sending underwear and second-hand paperbacks and science fiction mags as I recall.

The Indoor Market was fab. Walco Leather Stores, Floods Cafe, Edna's original tripe stall and the Market Cafe etc.

The markets really did need upgrading but the way in which it was done ensured that no shred of character remained and the blame for that lies squarely at the feet of RMBC.

I certainly agree re St Alban's Junior School. A fantastic building. It had a minstrel's gallery and two massive stone fireplaces in a carved woolsack motif with 'Fear God' and 'Honour the King' carved into them. All the windows were leaded. A real landmark building. I found out that Cllr Ann Metcalfe once taught there.

I was also a pupil at the old Parish Church Sec Mod. School motto: Labor Onmia Vincit - Labour conquers all. I was there till it closed in 1965. Very happy memories.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Yes Hinch i remember the wash house at Harpurhey, I once went inside with my friend and her mum (we was posh coz we had a washer!) The things I remember about it were the massive sinks where women did hand washing and the massive pull-out drying racks.
As i grew up in the Collyhurst area that was our local baths and the one where we learned to swim with the school. I remember the day I passed my 25 yard length the teacher told us on the bus going home that the queen had given birth to Andrew.
There was a 'herbalist' across the road where you could get a hot Vimto or Oxo, we used to spend our busfare home in there.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 pm

It was Rochdale County Borough Council, not RMBC who did for the market - but the result was the same.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Growing up elsewhere in the 1960s, Rochdale used to be home where we visited in our holidays. We travelled on a Yelloways Coach and also seemed to arrive in the town centre just as it was going dark. The grand stone buildings looked magnificent and sophisticated compared to the tiny village where we lived.

On arrival Mum would take me to visit the large Department store which was at the bottom of Drake Street (facing the Duke of Wellington?), where I would buy a present for my Grandma, usually a brooch.

Some of the highlights of our visit would be going swimming at the Baths and fine dining at the "Minah bird" cafe in the indoor market; a hot buttered toasted teacake washed down with a strawberry milkshake, yummy! Next day, a visit to the cinema.

What I loved most was the people. I loved the strong Lanky accent which seemed to be much broader back then. I remember seeing cheerful women walking around with bright chiffon scarves and rollers in their hair. The majority also seemed to have ladders in their American Tan tights and shopping bags over their arms. Wherever you turned there was a gang of kids or dogs and Newspapers blowing in the wind. Doors and windows were always open and music blared out. Happy music mind you, not the dirge of today.

My cousins would take me on treks across the tops and there was always a trial which involved crossing the iron waters.

I never appreciated the glorious landscape. Growing up in a chocolate box village down south I found the Northern countryside bleak and desolate. I was unable to grasp why mum loved the North so much and longed to be home. "One day you'll understand," she used to say. I thought she was deluded. I know better now.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Great post Sparks. I see we are now up to 996 posts. Who will be the author of our 1000th I wonder. Odds-on on Charly.

The 'pub' at the bottom of Drake St was a hotel called 'The Wellington' rather than 'The Duke of Wellington' and the store opposite was 'Halfpennies'.

A much younger and slimmer hinch once worked at 'The Wellie' as we called it, as a chef. We used to send free sarnis down in the dumb waiter to the hungry bar staff and in return, the dumb waiter would be sent back up with lovely pints of Higsons Bitter. The manager was a guy called Magnus Gordon-Flett.What a fab name.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:40 am

The store was Haworths - Halfpennies was somewhere else.

Survived into the eighties if I remember correctly.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Haworths rings a bell Smile

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

Haworths is correct. Always looked bare and dismal to me. Rarely went in it.

As for the Iron Waters - top end of Syke beyond the water pumping station. Always had a drink. Put iron in yer pencil so it did. Who wants lead when you can have the real thing? Razz
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes, JB is right, it was Haworths. I wonder where Halfpennies was then?

Strange thing, the older I get, the more I remember things that never happened.

A bit of a posh shop as I recall with snooty assistants. The assistants at Burneys were the same. Smelt of 4711 and mint imperials.

Totally different to Hills Economy Stores. Long, grey foreman's coats, short back and sides and a dab of Vitalis. What you saw was most definitely what you got.

Cheap but not remotely cheerful!

Their stuff lasted though... often far too long.

Last edited by hinch on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Script error)
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Drove past today, very sad watching it vanish.

I learnt to swim there when I was at Primary School.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Chill37 wrote:Drove past today, very sad watching it vanish.

I learnt to swim there when I was at Primary School.

Me too spent many a happy day there when my boy's were growing up I will never forget the taste of beans on toast in the cafe Sad
Hope the new build is appreciated and as well used Wink
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm

No more beans on toast, chips and gravy or toasted teacakes for us now. Sad
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Charly wrote:No more beans on toast, chips and gravy or toasted teacakes for us now. Sad

At what price now Charly ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I think there is a drinks machine not sure what else, but definitely no cafe. Sad
I used to take Charlotte after her swimming lessons, there was a lovely lady named MIA who worked at the cafe she gave Charlotte a tiny gold ring which she treasured for years.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 am

First and foremost a cafe has to be purposely built. Any old corner no longer sufficies. The staff must be qualified and carry the appropriate certification - which means any change of staff must qualify before hiring or allowing near the food etc. There has to be sufficient uptake of the cafe's wares to substantiate the wages and overheads - which means at least 50 persons per 'shift' each spending not less than £2 per person as a minimum. Over and above the administration of the cafe takings and stock controls has to be done by someone else other than the staff - add more 'persons' per shift. And you begin to see the problem. One hundred paying customers per day may cover it. How many swimmers/onlookers would patronise the cafe at each visit? It's never as simple as it sounds. Ergo - a machine. I know the feeling. Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next