Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steam stuff

+4
Old Regulator
davelee
southernbelle
Hinch
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steam stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: Steam stuff

Post  Hinch Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I can't believe they're building a new Patriot over in Wales. I know the Welsh are a strange crew but even so...

Not my favourite loco by any stretch. I too liked the mucky old workhorses including some of the old L&Y stuff of which we had plenty round here. Yes, I liked the 5's.

I actually prefer them to look a bit mucky rather than in the high-gloss we see them in on our preserved lines.

Mind you, in the last couple of years of steam it was a disgrace. Rust-streaked, smothered in lime-scale, steam leaking from every seam, name and number plates missing. A sad end but occasionally I saw some great sights like a filthy 'Evening Star' blasting through Rochdale pulling a heavy mineral freight. So filthy you couldn't tell its original colour as it was that familiar deep ash-grey that they seemed to aquire.

A lot of the gricer-friendly drivers took care to wipe the cabside numbers clean or even write the name on in chalk when the plates had been removed.

Saddest sight I ever saw was a string of about 6 dead steam locos being hauled off to the scrapyard by a Class 40. Their connecting rods had already been removed. Wish I'd got their numbers down.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

First of 2013. ‘Black 5 44871 with 4 vintage coaches is due into Castleton on Monday 7th January arriving into the goods loop around 15:53 and into the platform, maybe, at 16:02 to reverse back into Bags Yard. It is returning to the East Lancs Railway from Kidderminster, Severn Valley Railway.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 am

As a footnote - . A warning to all steam enthusiasts -.

Many of the smaller steam railways are hanging on by their coupling hooks. Tallyllyn in NW Wales needs help (mainly financial). If you have anything spare they would be most grateful - as would we all. Thank you. Ray.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Old Regulator wrote:First of 2013. ‘Black 5 44871 with 4 vintage coaches is due into Castleton on Monday 7th January arriving into the goods loop around 15:53 and into the platform, maybe, at 16:02 to reverse back into Bags Yard. It is returning to the East Lancs Railway from Kidderminster, Severn Valley Railway.

Are you going for a shuftie Frank?

If so I may join you but have been stuck in the house for two weeks with a mega-dose of flu.

Not been in work all week and have spent very little time online.

I will ring you in the next day or so. HNY to you and Matron.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm

9pm tonight, 'Locomotion' presented by Dan Snow on the BBC.

Should suit all 'Puffer-Nutters'.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 am

There's another chance to see 2 Stanier 'black 5s' steam Locos at Castleton station on Sunday 17th. they should be in the platform around 09.20ish with a support coach. enroute to Victoria to haul the Tin Bath Special' last of Summer Wine inspired excursion.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Well, I had to be loaded into the Brake Van on my mobility scooter but had a great day out on the East Lancashire Railway today. Travelled behind this beautifully restored. 6-coupled GNR loco, No 1744 built in Glasgow in the mid-1920's.

Tank engine or not, it pulled a full rake of 9 coaches. It is to feature at the War Weekend starting on Friday along with 'Sapper'.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am

Another chance to see a steam locomotive speed through the area on Saturday 13th July.
LMS Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 no 46115 Scots Guardsman will haul an excursion from Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough, because of the perceived fire risk the steam loco will work as far as Milford Junction, Yorkshire.

The train is timed:
Manchester Victoria a 08:38 d 08:45
Castleton East Junction pass 09:10
Rochdale pass 09:15
Hebden Bridge pass 09:33

The train returns steam hauled:

Brighouse a 19:41 water d 20:06
Hebden Bridge pass 20:20
Rochdale pass 20:40
Castleton pass 20:43
Manchester Victoria a 20:59 d 21:25

Old Regulator