Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled parking Rochdale-style

+7
debutante
teamplayer2
johnb
Striding
Admin
southernbelle
Hinch
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style Empty Disabled parking Rochdale-style

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I had to go into Rochdale town centre yesterday on 2-3 reporting jobs. At 09.55 I pulled the Disco up at the foot of Newgate and stuck my Blue Badge in the windscreen.

This bloke came up to me. He was parked in the car in front and said that the disabled parking did not start till 10.00 am and three days previously, he had parked his car up just before this when a parking attandent came up and slapped a ticket on him.

Sure enough, we looked around and there by the corner of the GPO was a parking attendant, pad at the ready, about to pounce. We stayed with the car, took the badge out of the window until the stroke of ten, replaced the badge and went on our way.

Perhaps I could suggest this as a paralympic sport? The 10 o'clock dash?

Rochdale oh Rochdale. What sins are committed in thy name?

Last edited by hinch on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style Empty Re: Disabled parking Rochdale-style

Post  southernbelle Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:49 pm

I expect it is because most on the undeserving layabouts who have conned their way into being blue badge holders cannot get up any earlier. This is on account of the vast quantity of cheap alcohol they consumed the day before. The alcohol having been purchased with benefit money they have lied and cheated to obtain. Seems fair to me. Allow the workers and early risers to get there first and benefit from the concession. Mind you, should the occasional blue badge arrive before the witching hour they are clearly able to manage well enough for an early start, and so can park in a normal spot.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 pm

So you wish to discriminate against drinkers, the disabled, anyone on benefits, anyone who likes a lie-in. Wow!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style Empty Blue badge applications

Post  Striding Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 pm

I was hearing that a significant number of staff at Oldham hospital have now applied for blue badges so that they can park on the hospital site, and not have to park down at the football ground. If many of these are successful, then the disabled spots will all be taken up by staff, leaving none for patients and visitors. I don't think that was the desired, or anticipated, effect of the recent changes to enforcement and space allocation.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Now THAT is a deviation, Oldham is soooo not our problem, we have enough here in Rochdale.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm

It's our nearest A & E site, so it is our issue.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 am

Striding wrote:I was hearing that a significant number of staff at Oldham hospital have now applied for blue badges so that they can park on the hospital site, and not have to park down at the football ground. If many of these are successful, then the disabled spots will all be taken up by staff, leaving none for patients and visitors. I don't think that was the desired, or anticipated, effect of the recent changes to enforcement and space allocation.

If they don't qualify they won't get one. They are far less open to abuse than the old Orange Badges were.

The biggest fraud is caused by people copying them on high-tech photo-printers although the Parking Enforcement folk are now much metter at spotting them and I think that the newer versions are being fitted with a chip.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Makes me laugh when you walk along the bottom of Yorkshire Street on Rochdale near the Butts outside the Halifax Bank.

Seeing all those abled bodied drivers parking in disabled spots because they are too lazy to use the proper car parks and to walk further.

Also in some cases people who look capable and no obvious sign of a disability or anyone with them, with a blue badge in the car, but carrying loads of shoppings bags and walking quite a distance depending where they are parked. So obvious to me that they are misusing the blue badge or get them through fraud.

It is quite fantastic really that no proper action has been taken by the police, parking wardens and the council over such blatant use of the blue badge for disabled drivers.

Not just a few either.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 am

teamplayer2 wrote:

Also in some cases people who look capable and no obvious sign of a disability or anyone with them, with a blue badge in the car, but carrying loads of shoppings bags and walking quite a distance depending where they are parked. So obvious to me that they are misusing the blue badge or get them through fraud.

They should get you working for the government, screening out false DDA claimants as you seem to be able to spot fraudsters at a single glance. Amazing! Because someone is not actually in a wheelchair or hobbling about on crutches does not mean that they are not suffering from a serious disability.

People may be suffering from all sorts of disabling conditions that affect their abilities to walk long for long without severe pain or without putting their health at serious risk. All manner of cardiac conditions, cancer, MS etc might be described in this way.

What is even more amazing is that you say you work in healthcare. I take it you missed the training sessions where they taught you not to be judgemental regarding people's abilities and inabilities.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style Empty Disabled Parking - Rochdale Style

Post  debutante Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

My Dad, 83, who broke his back and can only walk very short distances, has just received a renewal form for his badge. He told me it has gone up to £10 instead of £2 - a big increase - must be for the 'chip' maybe? And also he was commenting that you had to do all the application over the internet, even the phone number he rang then directed him to the internet, which surprised him as he said you would think that many people requiring the badge might be elderly and not so au fait with the internet. Luckily, he's quite savvy on it, but seems surprising there's no 'manual' option.
debutante
debutante

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 pm

debutante wrote:My Dad, 83, who broke his back and can only walk very short distances, has just received a renewal form for his badge. He told me it has gone up to £10 instead of £2 - a big increase - must be for the 'chip' maybe? And also he was commenting that you had to do all the application over the internet, even the phone number he rang then directed him to the internet, which surprised him as he said you would think that many people requiring the badge might be elderly and not so au fait with the internet. Luckily, he's quite savvy on it, but seems surprising there's no 'manual' option.

My husband phoned today to renew his and was told the same, he said to them what if I don't own a computer the reply was "you can go to your local Library" Rolling Eyes
My Mum is 86 totally housebound she has me to deal with things like this ! what happen's to those who have nobody and believe me there are plenty of people out there who have no -one to turn to what happens to them Sad

Only a 3/4 weeks ago the council sent my 86 year Mum a "Final Notice Warning" that she would be served notice for an unpaid bill for £365 if she didn't pay it in 7 days Mad
You can imagine how angry I was as my Mum owes nobody nothing! still waiting for a letter of apology just disgusting how lack of care this town has become Mad

Last edited by Jeanie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:13 am

Hinch.

I agree there are people who have illnesses not always obvious and I should know. There are people who are also being turned down for benefits that also stops them getting help for transport etc. Yet should be getting benefits but also facing an up hill struggle fighting to get them.

The people I am aiming at are those who park in disabled places who should not be. Those who do not have a blue badge who should not park in the disabled parking bay.

Then you get those athletic enough to walk up an hill then walk back at some distance loaded up with shopping bags and parcels walking quicly to the car. Then drop the loaded up shopping bags on the road bending up and down to put heavy shopping bags in the car and then running round to the driving seat and driving away quickly, as though they are in a hurry hoping not to be caught.

There is someone close to me has one of those illnesses which is not obvious and needs care at times, but has been turned down for certain benefits but also fighting the system for correct treatments etc. Also met other people fighting the system to get relatives that little extra help to have some sort of normal life., having a real struggle with the system

Also came across someone who told me they gave up work because of ill health. Yet not long after seen them helping out friends climbing ladders and then on a roof helping to repair the roof. Also doing other work since. Also noticed by other people.

Yet other people we have seen in the media who claim benefits but ended up in court after getting caught playing sports and in one case went on a diving holiday and proved they were cheating and dealt with accordingly. Those found cheating have been getting away with it in some cases for years.

Yet genuine people with real illness and disabilities are fighting an uncaring government and some local authorities who seem to be doing everything they can to stop the genuine claiments getting what they should be getting with benefits and help. The genuine claiments being turned down and then having to go to appeals to win their entitled claims. Yet like Jeanie said there are people out there who are on their own who cannot access the help they need.

There are people who do cheat yet do not seem having trouble getting the benefits. This is what I cannot understand how they do it and get away with it for sometime before they ar caught.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 am

I have a neighbour who walks the dog, energetically throwing the ball for it to fetch, can be seen wandering up and down with shopping ect.
Recently when a skip was brought on to the street this person was first out trundling wheelbarrows full of rubbish and was actually seen climbing in the skip retrieving things others has thrown in there.
Its ok when you can get a full DLA with new car every 3 years, all you need to do is start using a walking stick around the time your claim is due for renewal confused
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Get TP round with his notebook and pencil Charly.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:45 am

Can I have your note book and pencil Hinch mate.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:51 pm

My husband is registered disabled and has a blue badge.

99% of people would not recognise him as disabled from looking at him 99% of the time.

Hubby holds down a full time job as well as running a small business and is quite capable of putting out a wheelie bin and doing the shopping in Morrisons on occasion.

In the past 18-months alone he has undergone 4 operations following which he has struggled a darn site more to continue attempting the above. He has had a ruddy good try at doing so though with the use of crutches and the mobility scooters available in Morrisons.

Whether my husband is recovering from surgery or not there is always a physical price to pay for the pressure he puts his body under in an attempt to continue a "normal" life without letting his old injuries get the better of him.

We are not on benefits.

Whenever my husband uses a disabled parking bay you can guarantee some muppet will mutter under their breath about the abuse of disabled parking bays. It drives me nuts - can you imagine what it does to him?

Last edited by Spartacus on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I get fed up of it Sparks. My condition varies throughout the day and throughout the month. Am very slow in the mornings or if I have been sat for a while but when I am coming up to injection time it is murder. I cannot walk even a couple of steps without moderate to severe pain. Cannot get surgery for at least two years but somehow I manage to cope. I cannot stand for more than 3-4 minutes.

I try not to have the steroid injections too often as I have no joint-space left so they are EXTREMELY painful and I am off my feet for 2-3 days afterwards. I am sparing with my painkillers as I don't want to get hooked on them and I want them to work when I really need them. Although ordinarily not a wheelchair user, no way can I get through an airport unaided so I have to have a wheelchair and a 'pusher'. Am really embarrassed by this.

Cannot get round a supermarket without a scooter but I can usually help wife put bags in car. Likewise, I don't sit on my settee crying into my beer but have a good social life and hold down a largely office-based part-time job. Maximum I can walk without stopping for a rest because of the pain is about 20-30 metres.

My doctor, my consultant, the DWP, the bus company and the council all agree that I easily fulfill the criteria yet people like TP seem to have other ideas about disabled people.

I know your hubby Sparks. Fine strapping bloke who looks fit... at first but who obviously has very severe probs that he will carry to his grave.

I also know how hubby got his 'condition' which I will not relate on here. It is disgusting that people make judgements when they know SFA about the case or the pain that many people somehow just get used to and cope with.

Can't you get him fitted with leg irons and some crutches so that he looks more 'convincing' to those who like to make snap judgements?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Seeing as though my wife has a disability I find that a strange statement Hinch. I was talking about people/criminals who misuse the disabled parking spaces and drivers who should not park in them.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

How on earth would you know someone is a criminal, do they wear badges?
Of course this is with the exceptions of someone you know is a criminal as fact!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Misuse of the scheme is fraud. I am only getting at those who do misuse it which is the minority.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 pm

But you cant distinguish really, as Sparky has pointed out you cant always see the disability all the time
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Seeing as though my wife has a disability I find that a strange statement Hinch. I was talking about people/criminals who misuse the disabled parking spaces and drivers who should not park in them.

Yes Teamplayer, and when it is your wife who is being discussed, your posts are very full of understanding. You wife very obviously has health issues and I wish her a very good recovery. I note that you never mind trotting her out as a shining example of the 'genuine' disabled. I believe you and if I spotted Mrs TP walking without a limp, I would not assume that she is swinging the lead. Simply that she may be able to walk for short distances unaided.

Let us hope that she does genuinely get cured rather than be reclassified as 'fit and healthy' by some pen-pusher with orders to reduce the number of disabled people at the stroke of a biro. Jesus would be proud of their abilities to cure the sick even though they might miss a leg or two.

You also 'go off on one' when anyone appears to be making light of mental health issues yet you appear to make sweeping generalisations about some disabled people as long as they are not 'too close to home'.

What I am saying is, of course there is fraud. It is everywhere. Also what I am saying is don't be so quick to be judgemental. That bloke you see getting out of his car displaying the Blue Badge and walks without limping to the cash machine may in fact spend two hours getting out of bed in the morning and be unable to put his shoes and socks on without help.

You cannot just assume that someone is committing fraud because they don't fit your own narrow confines of what constitutes disability.

Last edited by hinch on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Well said, Hinch. Thanks.

Problem is TP, people make judgements and it's the innocent who suffer. The guilty ones couldn't give a proverbial.

On a lighter note...

My father, who was a double leg amputee, often went out without putting his legs on. He was a fine looking chap who appeared much younger than his advancing years. One day, whilst parking in a disabled parking bay, an "elderly" gentleman brought his car to a stop behind ours and wound his window down.

"That,
" he bellowed. "Is a disabled parking space."

Quick as a flash my father flung open his driver's door and waved two short stumps in the air.

"What do you think I am?" he screeched. "Charles bl**dy Atlas!"

I've no idea who Charles Atlas was (she lied) but it appeared to do the trick Very Happy

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Sometimes the disabled themselves can be a pain in the ass. I have often pulled into a disabled bay and you see the old bint in the car next to you weighing you up to see if she can see your Blue Badge and what your likely condition is. On one or two occasions I have forgotten to put my badge in the windscreen; it's like all hell's broken loose.

One day, I took the last disabled spot at Tesco, put my badge in the window and prepared to go in and get my usual scooter. A guy came up to me, asked me if I really needed the spot as his wife was also disabled. I pointed to my badge in the window then realised I was being asked to justify whether I was more or less disabled than his wife. I just told him that it was first come, first served and on many, many occasion I have been unable to get a disabled spot. Tough but it happens. The world isn't perfect.

It's awful. Quite rightly, you have to prove your entitlement to get a Blue Badge in the first place and then you almost feel as if you have to justify all over again, the right to use it and keep it by people whose 'understanding' of disability is informed by watching these TV progs where some alleged 'crip' is secretly filmed working out at the gym.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Well said Hinch. Makes me sick these IGNORANT people who speak about others "ripping off the system" when in fact they do not know ALL the FACTS.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next