Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The good life

+3
Jeanie
Poppyanna555
Hinch
7 posters

Go down

The good life Empty The good life

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

As Mrs H is away in Ireland for a few days attending someone's Confirmation, I was forced to go to Tesco last night for emergency supplies of whisky, tequila, limes, beer and other bare essentials to sustain me over the coming weekend. I saw a very large brown campervan on the car-park that had obviously been converted from a large horse-carrying vehicle or similar.

I must say, they had made themselves very comfortable. There was a wood-burning stove merrily ablaze cooking the evening meal. It smelt delicious and the aroma of woodsmoke drifting across the car park was heavenly.

There was a group of 4 x 40/50 year olds inside, playing guitars, drinking beer and waiting for their tea to cook. It all looked very inviting. Presumably they had nipped into Tesco to buy food & beer and decided to comsume them on-site.

Is Hinch a Romany at heart? Is he feeling the call of the open road? Is he really in tune with his own karma?

A rather odd place to pitch up I thought but I've stayed on worse sites; usually those run by Haven Holidays etc.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

The good life Empty Re: The good life

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 pm

That scenario sounds very inviting to me too Hinch....not sure whether I am a Romany at heart either though I do love the great outdoors and all things simple.....
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm

You love simple things Poppy? You and my missus would get on like a house on fire.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm

tongue
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Takes me back to my childhood days my grandparents were Romany's even had the old bow caravan (which I have a replica off) sadly stuck on top of the wardrobe complete with shire horse !
Many a day did I sit and listen to them reading tea leaves ! memories of some fascinating days gone by Smile
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I could never live in a city, for all the wrongs in Rochdale, we are fortunate enough to live in a vale surrounded by beautiful countryside which is almost on our doorsteps and accessible to all, you don't need a car to be out there either. I have a good friend that came to live here about 10 years ago from Liverpool, and she still marvels at the beautiful countryside around us.....something positive eh about Rochdale! Laughing
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Hinch wrote: Is Hinch a Romany at heart? .
Poppyanna555 wrote:....not sure whether I am a Romany at heart either
Jeanie wrote:my grandparents were Romany's

Perhaps more like bohemians, still yearning for those unconventional exploits,

but, there’s a serious local issue and for any potential Romanies ‘at heart,’ RMB council and the GMP need you … as Traveller Mediators, Facilitators and Stewards Extraordinaire … at Kingsway Business Park.

Hinch in a Bandanna Laughing Laughing ( Sorry ! )

It seems that travellers setting up camp there just move round the 420-acre location, which Councillors are reported to say makes them look ridiculous !

The very idea of our councillors looking ridiculous is dire and, as a ship jumping season has started, it could even become just the Labour party looking ridiculous. It sounds like a crisis … it appears the councillors have even called for help from the Greater Manchester Police & Crime Commissioner, Tony Lloyd.

Crime Commissioner urged to help tackle Kingsway Park traveller problem

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/78282/crime-commissioner-urged-to-help-tackle-kingsway-park-traveller-problem

and, who actually owns the Kingsway Business Park land then?

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 am

Quote: "Police can fully, and immediately, remove travellers from Kingsway Park but say they lack the resources."

What does that mean? What resources do the police think they need that they don't have?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Many a day did I sit and listen to them reading tea leaves !

Is that what you use to do when making decisions in the council Jeanie! Wink Shocked clown What a Face affraid

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:03 pm

cyfrifia wrote:Quote: "Police can fully, and immediately, remove travellers from Kingsway Park but say they lack the resources."

What does that mean? What resources do the police think they need that they don't have?

For every x number of travellers the police will need to have x number of officers who are trained/experienced in such operations.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:56 pm

So, why don't we establish a transient travellers site?

We know there will be seasonal variations. Surely it's more humane to cater for that which you know is inevitable?

Ask king Canute!
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Spartacus wrote:
cyfrifia wrote:Quote: "Police can fully, and immediately, remove travellers from Kingsway Park but say they lack the resources."

For every x number of travellers the police will need to have x number of officers who are trained/experienced in such operations.

So, Kingsway Business Park is potentially a police training area? Would any police force have hundreds of officers trained in removing travellers from illegal sites? Probably not, it doesn't add up, do they have to be removed one or two at a time? That would be like herding cats. Does that mean there has to be a special national taskforce for removing travellers?

The Dale Farm fiasco cost a million and ended up back where it started more or less. I'm not advocating moving travellers on, it's a complicated issue with more than one side to the story, but, does it boil down to the fact that travellers in number can't be moved, not because it's right or wrong but because the police are not equipped to do it?

It shouldn't come to the sort of tactics that were used at Dale farm.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 pm

I thought that Local Authorities had the “lead role” in managing unauthorised encampments. and police presence was usually to prevent a breach of the peace ? RMBC have regularly used bailiffs to move on travellers in the past.

There are some cheeky comments on the www, such as: -

The last words about the failure of the RDA and Rochdale Council should go to an unnamed spokesman for the Travelling Community: -

"Wherever they go they leave a mess.

It is the taxpayer who has to foot the bill for the shite they leave everywhere.

They cost this town a fortune.

There are supposed to be laws to control this lot.

Can't they just b***** off and do their criminal shenanighans in another local authority ?

They are just leaches on society - and have you seen the vehicles they drive?!" ‘

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down