Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What else isn't checked?

+6
southernbelle
cyfrifia
Atlas
Spartacus
teamplayer2
Charly
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What else isn't checked? Empty What else isn't checked?

Post  Charly Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/78732/news-full#comments
AMAZING!
Seeing as some of these drivers dont have licences or insurance, drive defective cars or cars with bald tyres..can we be assured that they are CRB checked, preferably enhanced, to be allowed to transport children to and from school?
Or would that be too difficult to arrange?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

What else isn't checked? Empty Re: What else isn't checked?

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm

They may not do proper checks in case the council is seen to be infringing on their human rights.

Of course if there is a complaint and seen to be done by Rochdale Council, the victims might have to wait a few decades before they are believed . If you get what I mean Charly. No
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Why am I not surprised?

I hope the police announce the authorities who sanctioned the "transport providers".

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:07 am

Impractical Charly. Some taxis and coaches can do 50,000 miles a year depending on usage. That means renewed tyres and other worn parts frequently occur at varying intervals. How would you propose regular checks? How often? Who does it? Who pays? The list of how's and why's is endless. Each regulation needs a regulator and a staff to control and operate it. Who pays? You think tax fares are cheap at present? What do you think they would be under a regime as proposed? Insurance and tax comes under the law as it stands and everyone takes that risk as such is policed under the present system - taxis are not exempt. Draconian controls are fine - if 'you' can afford them.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 am

I'm talking about the checks on vehicles and drivers used for transporting children to and from school, surely with all the problems Rochdale has had with failing to look after the children its not too much to ask to make sure the vehicles and drivers face extensive checks to safeguard them?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:48 am

Yes it is asking too much. Under the freedom of the individual to seek employment wherever and whenever he chooses the transient nature of taxi driving if further regulated would add untold amounts to the costs. Why would you think CRB checks or interviews on each and every employee (temp or otherwise) would work. It's not practical. There is only one way you could possibly alleviate most of the problem and that involves 'school buses' like the kind in the USA which are able to 'net' all those children in outlying areas or who for one reason or another are unable to get transport from their door. That costs money - a lot more than paying regular taxis and mini-coaches - and the cost would have to be borne by the Education Authorities. We don't have the money and therefore we have no option but to take risks and hope that we negate most of the problem, regardless we know that every now and then some kid somewhere is going to suffer.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 am

It is worth checking though. A minibus taxi driver, stopped by police in Chadderton, was found to have a Czech-made self loading pistol, five live rounds of ammunition, and £2,300 in an envelope hidden in his minibus.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/districtnews/districtatog/10260920.Gun_runner_taxi_driver_jailed/

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am

Good Lord, thats scary.
I do not see why taxi drivers who ferry children should not have CRBs, Especially very young and or vulnerable children. Minibuses perhaps provide more safety in numbers?
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Atlas wrote:Yes it is asking too much. Under the freedom of the individual to seek employment wherever and whenever he chooses the transient nature of taxi driving if further regulated would add untold amounts to the costs. Why would you think CRB checks or interviews on each and every employee (temp or otherwise) would work. It's not practical.

Pennine Acute has 10,000 staff plus volunteers, ALL of whom are CRB checked; many with enhanced checks so a few hundred taxi drivers should present no problem.

As for cost, the drivers could and arguably should provide these themselves as a condition of their license.

I think it is practical, simple to carry out and might help restore public confidence. Cost to the council would be minimal if the individual pays the cost.

However, CRB checks; even enhanced checks are no guarantee of good character or future behaviour but they are a good start even though only UK convictions are recorded. Anyone with access to children or vulnerable adults should have one. Currently, they take about 2 weeks to come through.

As to the freedom of the individual to seek employment, we do not want create an 'underclass' of people who have picked up a minor conviction or two in their youth cannot get a job of any sort and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act means that certain types of conviction do not have to be declared or are 'spent' after a period of time in respect of some types of offence. Also, only types of offence relevent to the job need to be considered by the issuing/employing authority such as sexual offences, violent crime, firearms offences etc.

With some posts such as nursing etc, even police cautions have to be declared although one or two of these on your record would not necessarily exclude you from a post. If in doubt, declare, declare, declare.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:35 am

All extra costs will be passed onto the customer - you. But hey - be my guest. After all we all have money to burn don't we.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:22 am

I would have thought the safety of the kids was more important...but there you go
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 am

Up until now I took it that these checks were mandatory. Show's how wrong you can be.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

Some time ago I remember it was suggested people ferrying friends kids to football matches and dance classes with their own kids had to have a check, what happened about CRB checks for those who do it as a job?

wey hey I just noticed my promotion to Spaceship Commander Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 am

Warp speed 5 Charly!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:25 am

One problem is, where do you draw the line? Should McDonalds staff be CRB checked because they have access to underage customers or to street sweepers, postmen, window cleaners as they be working in areas where there are kids or vulnerable adults?

If a pervert wants to get close to their prey, they will find a way. Oh yes!

However, I do think it reasonable that taxi drivers are checked out... particularly in this town.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Taxi and school bus drivers certainly should be and they should have insurance and their vehicles should be legal and roadworthy!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm

I wholeheartedly agree Charly. I had to have a CRB check done whilst working for the council and so did all my colleagues, because we all dealt with the general public....none of them children
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm

I was told (along with KeithatRochdale) we had to have one to be on the tenants association committee, but seeing as I only ever went near the place to committee meetings and was never in a situation where youngsters or vulnerable people were, I refused... I wasn't assured of the confidentiality of personal information, Keith will know what I mean.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

This is a complete abuse of the CRB process, which is meant to apply to those who will be ALONE with children and vulnerable adults - like taxi drivers.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I used to work for a charity and was often alone with some very vulnerable clients but we weren't required to have a CRB check.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 am

Thus proving once again that the 'law' is an ass and the makers are the ass drivers. It will take less intelligent people to make most laws work properly - as the rest of us are so arrogant in our beliefs and methods we rarely get it right. It's all down to a personal interpretation - which is usually wrong. As I said in the first place - impractical. As is perfection. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am

CRB checks at their worst are another tick box exercise and can lull people into a false sense of security. Many, many serial sex offenders turn out to be first-time offenders when they are eventually caught and so much sex-crime goes unreported.

The grooming case has proved that you can carry out your activities unhindered for years and often be straight out on bail with any legal case being held months and months into the future allowing plenty of time to carry on your activities, intimidate witnesses or simply disappear altogether.

CRB checks in themselves have done nothing to reduce the sex-crime figures. If you doubt this then just read the newspapers.

Last edited by Hinch on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 am

Hinch wrote:read the newspapers.
How quaint ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Bless.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 am

Is this the latest part of an appropriate borough strategy?

Kids spy on cabbies in sex-scandal crackdown

MEN 25 Mar 2013. Article Excerpts: -

The teenagers are looking for ‘inappropriate behaviour,' as part of a crackdown by Rochdale council after the conviction of nine men last year for offences such as rape and sexual activity with a child

Teenagers are being asked to spy on taxi drivers in Rochdale in a bid to avoid a repeat of the child sex ring scandal

The young ‘mystery shoppers’ are being asked by council officials to catch taxi rides – in a bid to root out ‘inappropriate behaviour’ by potential sex abuser cabbies. It is part of a crackdown by Rochdale council on cab drivers and takeaway workers in the town…..

It is understood that licensing officials have been recruiting the teenagers from outside Rochdale – in a bid to ensure there are no recriminations for their participation in the scheme

….. the youngsters are also being asked to listen out for any ‘inappropriate behaviour or language’ used by cabbies and take-away workers

The intelligence-gathering youngsters will pass on any concerns to the licensing authority who will work with the police on any further action.

pale and something else about the teenagers 'looking' to see that badges are worn-displayed. Who would have thought teenage eyes were needed to monitor badging regulations Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum