Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business?

+2
Hinch
Poppyanna555
6 posters

Go down

Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business? Empty Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business?

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 pm

No wonder people choose not to shop in Rochdale town centre when an 80 year old lady has her wedding ring ripped off her finger (resulting in a broken wrist) and her purse stolen at 12:00pm on Yorkshire Street/Cheetham Street!

What cowards these two men are to pick on an old lady in this way, disgusting!!

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business? Empty Re: Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business?

Post  Hinch Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm

This is Rochdale!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business? Empty Re: Shopping in Rochdale - Risky Business?

Post  Chill37 Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Was in Rochdale Centre just this morning getting a new game. Place looked dead.

Even more shops have gone.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 pm

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 pm

cyfrifia wrote:It happened ten days ago. A week last tuesday.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/79004/elderly-woman-robbed

Yes, on Tuesday 19 March 2013 between 11.00 am and noon, 2 men pushed, assaulted and robbed the elderly woman at the Yorkshire St/Cheetham Street junction, before running off down Yorkshire St. The suspects were described as in their late teens, black or Asian, with black hair, one of whom was wearing wide-rimmed spectacles.

A police appeal for information and witnesses was published on RO a full week later, 26 March.

Perhaps a much earlier appeal for witnesses after such an incident could have been effective and supported the elderly victim ?

With the GMP’s heavy local promotions of Twitter and Facebook social media, along with it's own online 'Appeals,' it doesn’t even need to depend on external news outlets anymore to start prodding memories.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 am

Top story covering 2 pages in this week's 'Stradhoughton Whimperer' is that in response to a wave of burglaries, the Dibble is to mount a large covert, plain-clothes, undercover operation to tackle this.

Now, call me a cynical old sod - and many have, if you were carrying out an undercover operation of this type, which of the following courses of action would you take:-

1. Get on with it quietly, using the element of surprise to catch the crooks?

2. Warn Burglar Bill in advance and advertise the undercover operation in the paper?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 am

With finite resources, whichever reduces the number of burglaries most cost effectively is probably the answer to that. The 'cardboard policeman' method does have a psychological effect.

The role of the police is of course, to catch criminals, but some of the crimes we read about, as the one in this thread and the grooming, are perhaps not just simply crime in a straightforward way, but the results and symptoms of diseased minds.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Mojo Hill wrote:With the GMP’s heavy local promotions of Twitter and Facebook social media, along with it's own online 'Appeals,' it doesn’t even need to depend on external news outlets anymore to start prodding memories.

Doesn't need to depend on 'external' news outlets - really? I beg to differ.

GMP Twitter has 123,000 followers, divided by the ten areas in Greater Manchester that is 12,300 per area and those figures are of course skewed for a borough like Rochdale because they include Manchester.

Rochdale Online reaches 103,000 the vast majority of course living locally.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 pm

J wrote: As an extract ---- Doesn't need to depend on 'external' news outlets - really? I beg to differ.

OK we differ in opinion: Forget social media altogether; the main points I originally made were

- an EARLY appeal for witnesses may have been fruitful for more prosecution information
- GMP doesn’t need to depend on external news outlets to start prodding memories.

Leafleting and talking direct to the public and traders, for example, in the area of the crime location, including speaking with all the taxi rank drivers who habitually park in numbers on both sides of the street close to where she was assaulted, may well have quietly taken place early on of course, but without any public awareness.

They categorise crimes, main concerns and resources, but I suggest that such a cowardly assault on, and robbery from, a lone elderly person flags up the "vulnerable" criteria the GMP are purportedly committed to prioritising.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 pm

We are in agreement, Mojo, that the sooner public assistance is requested the better, and the more mediums that can be sensibly utilised the better.

I have spoken personally to the Chief Super about the time lag between crimes being committed and public appeals via the media. Rochdale Online publishes 24/7 and hence has offered to publish as soon as the police can send/publish details.

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 am

Yes, a 10 day gap in reporting this incident is not acceptable, I would be interested to find out why the delay? I hope it wasn't in the name of 'community cohesion' ???!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

There has been some talk of categorising such crimes against the elderly as 'hate crimes'. Such categorisation may or may not be useful, but certainly it is the sort of crime that is intolerable for several good reasons. Whether there was also a racial aspect to this attack depends on the detail. We hope there is no delay or backpedalling on investigating this particular crime for any reason at all.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 am

Poppyanna555 wrote:Yes, a 10 day gap in reporting this incident is not acceptable, I would be interested to find out why the delay? I hope it wasn't in the name of 'community cohesion' ???!

The Dibble can be amazingly coy in their timing of news releases and in the release of certain 'unhelpful' details Popps.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes, this is becoming increasingly apparent to me Hinch, also when publishing descriptions of offenders there is often a 'vagueness', but you soon learn to read between the lines Exclamation
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 pm

the main points I originally made were

- an EARLY appeal for witnesses may have been fruitful for more prosecution information
- GMP doesn’t need to depend on external news outlets to start prodding memories.

Leafleting and talking direct to the public and traders, for example, in the area of the crime location, including speaking with all the taxi rank drivers who habitually park in numbers on both sides of the street close to where she was assaulted, may well have quietly taken place early on of course, but without any public awareness.

They categorise crimes, main concerns and resources, but I suggest that such a cowardly assault on, and robbery from, a lone elderly person flags up the "vulnerable" criteria the GMP are purportedly committed to prioritising.

Exactly.

The need to do the job they are supposed to be doing. Why aren't they doing it? Wasn't the someone elected recently supposed to be making a difference?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Good point Sparky!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am

Oh NO. You didn't - - ? Don't tell me you believed all that GUFF regarding an 'overseer'? No go on. You're pulling my leg aren't you? affraid
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Spartacus wrote: Wasn't the someone elected recently supposed to be making a difference?
Atlas wrote: Oh NO. You didn't - - ? Don't tell me you believed all that GUFF regarding an 'overseer'? No go on. You're pulling my leg aren't you? affraid
GUFF regarding an Overseer Atlas? scratch

Could that be the ‘Labour-Party-nominated’ former Manchester Central MP Tony Llyoyd, Greater Manchester’s Police and Crime Commissioner? A mooted 'apolitical' appointment Laughing , with an abysmal voter turnout, if I remember correctly.

It’s perhaps beguiling that the 9-point ‘police and crime’ plan he is reported to have put together for GMP’s future establishment priorities has, as one of it’s main objectives, to protect the police service.

It’s possibly also confusing that in a very recent statement this ‘Chief’ made, about " lessons learnt, " about grooming,, he expanded it by explaining that the way the police worked with other local Rochdale authorities have ‘showed the real benefits of partnership working.’

He was further attributed with a reported quote “Other areas are now learning from the experience in Rochdale, which shows that honesty and openness can bring something positive out of this awful case.”

I think this may be the first time I’ve read the idioms of Honesty and Openness used in this particular connection. A vernacular style change Spartacus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 am

With regards to Mr LLoyds role. I personally think it's a pointless appointment and how many extra Coppers could have been put on the streets instead of his and others positions round the country?

I didnt vote in the pointless election and I dont know of anyone who did.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down