Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Town Hall's Future use ?

+4
cyfrifia
Hamid
Hinch
Atlas
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Town Hall's Future use ? Empty Town Hall's Future use ?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 pm

“Town Hall Future to be decided by Rochdale Folk"  
Proposals are being worked on to find a new use for Rochdale Town Hall, one of which is understood to include transforming it into a museum.

Razz   Rochdale council leader Coun Colin Lambert said ‘they’ were putting together a series of options on what the now virtually-empty Grade-I listed building could be used for.  This comes a year after council staff began leaving the building to move into the new RMBC £50m HQ.  

Options will, apparently, then be put to the public, who will 'direct' what the building is used for.   Coun Lambert said, “We have discussed the next stage ….  “The consultation on the future use and protection of this building will be done in public, fully costed and directed by the public.”  
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/proposals-being-worked-find-new-6558343

I doubt a museum will be a big enough fish to draw in lots of visitors on a year-round, consistent, lasting basis and add value to the wider local-central economy; M/C City museum institutions and AGMA historic building guides seem to already offer good choice.  

How’s about an English Heritage-supported ‘unique’ venue to hire for Weddings / partnership ceremonies, Special Occasions and Corporate Events - bringing in with it a host of excellent local suppliers, including caterers, florists, hotels, entertainers and photographers, etc.    An employed hospitality team could be trained by English Heritage … be innovative in boosting the local economy, jobs and talent, while preserving/sharing the building and historical displays.
  Any ideas then ?  …  before ‘they’ put together your options
 Question Smile  Question

Back to top Go down

Town Hall's Future use ? Empty Re: Town Hall's Future use ?

Post  Atlas Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 am

An excellent addition for such a celebrated historical building as the Town Hall would do well to consider a large area set aside for a heraldry centre, which could incorporate souvenirs of the area and a properly well-staffed tourism information bureau.         This need not detract from the above which in itself is an excellent idea.
I see no merit in a museum, as Touchstones I believe already does a good job of that. It's time for some 'outside the box' thinking and not the same old same old, - which museums are.  They might consider for example the fact that we are in a 'new' modern age of technology a great deal of which enables interiors to be transformed far beyond anything we could do in the past.   The main hall is already well equipped to take selective audiences for selective entertainments and could do worse than become a regular feature for week-end or even mid-week features.

Other areas may need to be re-configured and let out for evening groups many of which would see the town centre as a hub for their particular fields of endeavour.   The permutations are endless, providing you have a good management control team which, incidentally, should be based on results not guaranteed contracts - gives them more incentive to get it right.    Whatever - with a place like that only an idiot would get it wrong
Surprised Smile Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:15 am

I think it would make a great mosque like the former Christian church of San Sofia in Istanbul. 

The clock tower is a ready made minaret and the existing roof could be easily replaced with an easy to maintain green or gold cupola. The cenotaph could be respectfully screened off with trees so as not to cause offence.

Not only would the building be well used, it would be a great way to celebrate our rich cultural heritage. The calling of the faithful to prayer could become an inspiring addition to our town centre. The last thing this town needs is another boring museum.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 am

Although I am not religious, I think Hinch makes an excellent suggestion that would be well received in our Muslim communities. Such a move would save the taxpayer millions in future maintainance and upkeep as this would be paid largely by funds raised and administered by mosque committees.

If we really are serious about strengthening communities, this would be a real step in the right direction. The alternative would surely be to see this magnificent building slowly rot away as successive waves of cutbacks see funding gradually reduced over the years?
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am

Errr... I was being ironic Hamid. No offence.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:13 am

Your over-frequent use of irony is well known Hinch but dont dismiss the idea too lightly. The mosque you mention in Turgey attracts hundreds of thousands of non-Muslim visitors a year. This is a way that our communities really could come together.
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 am

I'm certainly not going to get into a religious debate Hamid and, to be honest, I dont have a particular view on the future use of the building apart from the fact that I agree with Hitler in that it is worth preserving. I do agree with you that I can see the place deteriorate over the years through future funding cuts. This, in my view, would be a great pity.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:51 am

Perhaps if Lord Michael Dobbs got his finger out and wrote some more sequels to 'House of Cards', it could earn money as a film set for a time.

"You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment."

Perhaps use it as a combined homeless shelter and foodbank or a Grooming Reconciliation Centre? Or maybe use it to house an indoor karting centre or as a 'boot camp' for bad boys?

Last edited by Hinch on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 am

Could I have the old Union Jack when they take it down please, I would like to make a novelty T shirt from it.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:28 pm

I think your union flag may look very different when Scotland vote to pull out of the union Cyfrifia. Time to start redesigning another. It already has three crosses on it symbolising your christian religions. Perhaps it is time to include symbols of other religions which have helped to build this country such as a red crescent and star of David?
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_select Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Hamid,

Surely it's OUR union flag. You're not one of them trolls are you?

Considering the town hall is Grade 1 listed I'm assuming there is not a lot that can be changed. What about having it as a working museum where school children could look around the Grand Halls and numerous committee rooms and wonder in awe as to how a prosperous town could be controlled in such a small building without one computer.

mark_select

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Not my country so not my flag.

Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_select Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Thank you for confirming my original question.

mark_select

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:49 pm

How does this make me a troll? I was born in another country. (Non islamic) I have full rights of work and residence in the UK but am not a UK citizen. Is there something wrong with that?
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_select Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm

My condolences that you were not fortunate enough to be born in Rochdale. Perhaps you should reflect on your reaction if an 'outsider' suggested changes to your original country flag.

mark_select

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm

A flag is just a bit of colored cloth at the end of the day. Far too many people killed fighting over them. Your own flag is, I believe, known as "the butchers apron" in Ireland and although it claims to be a flag of union, it excludes Wales completely.

Outsider or not, I am entitled to an opinion and at least I can conduct a discussion in English without name-calling.

Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Hamid wrote:Your over-frequent use of irony is well known Hinch but dont dismiss the idea too lightly. The mosque you mention in Turgey attracts hundreds of thousands of non-Muslim visitors a year. -  
D i p s t i c s ...

Hamid:    Your own recurring returns of irony on this thread seems to have well-diverted the Subject so far.  pirat    The designs and artefacts 'integral' to the Town Hall are wholly unacceptable for a Muslim mosque setting: - There’s very clear Islamic prohibition of " figurative imagery, " which rules out mosaics, portraits, statues, etc.  

We've already got large central mosques here, thank you, which example acceptable architecture and fittings.    You then even suggested the Red Crescent as a religious input for a new flag !  Laughing  Perhaps you think we need UN-endorsed humanitarian aid/Red Cross rescue services.    
Hinch:  When's your next field trip abroad ?   Hagia Sophia is a former Byzantine church and a former Ottoman mosque in Istanbul.   It was turned into the Ayasofya Museum 80 years ago - as one of the great buildings that primarily showcases Byzantine architecture.  You'll need a facial dust mask for the tour.  
> Wit and quirks aside, back to  any ideas ? or, are Rochdalians and others with interest,
going to abdicate and leave options, again, to their band of merry cllrs and personal cohorts ?  

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 am

Hamid wrote:A flag is just a bit of colored cloth at the end of the day. Far too many people killed fighting over them. Your own flag is, I believe, known as "the butchers apron" in Ireland and although it claims to be a flag of union, it excludes Wales completely.

Outsider or not, I am entitled to an opinion and at least I can conduct a discussion in English without name-calling.

Hamid. It is debateable whether or not the 'Welsh' flag is constituted upon the 'Union' flag. At the time of Union the Welsh flag was flown as blue with a white diagonal cross and there are many who believe the white on the Union flag portrays this. Historicaly of course the true flag of Wales (or St David) was black with a yellow diagonal cross - neither of which would have merged successfully with red/white and blue.
And it may well be just coloured cloth (its use was a rallying point for troops in battle) but to most people it signifies their allegiances and places them in the 'group' to which they feel they belong. To most of us today it has no religious connotations whatsoever and simply declares we are 'British'. Anything else remains in the warped minds of the holder.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 am

Hamid wrote:

Please elucidate?
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 am

Mojo Hill wrote:
>  Wit and quirks aside, back to  any ideas ? or, are Rochdalians and others with interest, going to abdicate and leave options, again, to their band of merry cllrs and personal cohorts ?  

I concur. Can we move on?

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 am

Atlas wrote:
Hamid wrote:

Please elucidate?
Quite simple. I was not born in the UK and retain my own nationality and passport therefore I cannot accept that the present flag of this country is mine in any sense. As I said, I have full rights to live and work here and have done so for over twenty five years.

As for you Mr Mojo, San Sofia was a former Christian church and then a mosque. It is loaded with Christian imagery including representations of saints and other religious figures etc. Perhaps it was so dusty that you failed to spot them?
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

The idea of using the old town hall as a mosque does have a logic to it. As a museum it would be a huge and continuing expense on the taxpayer. How would the finances and the inter-faith side of things pan out if it was converted to a mosque?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

Hamid wrote:    As for you Mr Mojo, San Sofia was a former Christian church and then a mosque. It is loaded with Christian imagery including representations of saints and other religious figures etc. Perhaps it was so dusty that you failed to spot them?

The wealth of Christian imagery that you refer to was NOT 'exposed' to, or even part of, the section of the building that was, historically, used as a mosque.       Imagery that might have intruded in context was all plastered over.  

It seems you're being mischievous about the whole subject of the Town Hall's future use

Back to top Go down

Post  Hamid Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm

cyfrifia wrote:The idea of using the old town hall as a mosque does have a logic to it. As a museum it would be a huge and continuing expense on the taxpayer. How would the finances and the inter-faith side of things pan out if it was converted to a mosque?
Thank you Cyfrifia. I am not just talking rubbish. The cost saving to the taxpayer would be very significant. As a Grade 1 listed building, the fabric of the building could not be touched and any imagery could be preserved behind screens.

Mr Mojo, you can be so negative at times. You need to open your mind and let the sun shine in now and then.

Of course, the mosque concept will be ruled out as will any other idea worth consideration. It will limp on as a third rate museum, poor-quality concert venue or perhaps fifth-rate conference centre and be a financial millstone round our necks for years to come.

The Great Hall could easily be converted into a bowling alley or roller-derby rink perhaps or an indoor rifle range? Even a permanent indoor funfair or menagerie like they used to have in Blackpool Tower.

There are many different sensible uses but Rochdale regards it as akin to a sacred shrine and nothing other than a long and unhappy decay into impoverished neglect will satisfy. In that respect, it will be well in keeping with the rest of the town.
Hamid
Hamid
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

I think Hamid has a point.   How about a non-religious English cultural theme?    Run as a Cooperative of course.   The clock tower would make a fine helter skelter.    The Mayors Parlour, on the left as you enter, could serve as a Wetherspoon type pub, non-profit.   The committee room/s on the right is ideal for a model railway layout, including Metrolink.   The staircase, as Hinch mentioned, doubles as a film set for the House of Commons.   Bowling, not ten pin, already graces the great hall so a few traditional fairground side shows could be housed around the sides, Hoop La, Hook a Duck, not real ones, slug guns, coconut shy etc., allowing the magnificent historical architecture to shine through.  For those of us of a certain age, Sing Something Simple sessions with the organ.  

Now here is the big one!  All the offices, not the chamber, I’ve got plans for that, could serve as a Monty Python theme spectacular.   Anyone for an argument?   5 minutes or the full half hour?   The Spanish inquisition, all you wanted to know about Spain, the Cheese shop sketch, with mention of the plagiarised Don Quixote, La Dolce’ Vita, the Tom and Barbara type.  

The entrance hall could be a street caf serving tripe and onions, tater ash etc with Morris dancers gaily prancing up and down, Oh, them bloody bells.

Now for the council chamber.  How about a peoples forum with power to show up the more misrepresentative of our Politicians?   Forum members could dress up as Philosophers, Greek or modern ones, and spend hours, nigh years, trying to fine the meaning of life in respect of what has happened to our Town.

One thing I am very sure of is that we cannot leave the plight of our wonderful Town Hall, Rat House? (for our German speakers) in the care of the same hotchpotch of nere do wells and rapscallions (for Atlas) that have allowed our Town to become one of the poorest, culturally as well as financially, in England.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next