Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The elections: Candidates pitches

+7
Poppyanna555
Mulldog
Atlas
Prudence Tempered
davelee
Manc
Hinch
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The elections: Candidates pitches Empty The elections: Candidates pitches

Post  Hinch Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am

Well, I filled in my postal votes today. My local council was straightforward: UKIP, Lab or Con but 11 candidates on the Euro ballot. I toyed with the Pirate Party as no Loony was standing but in the end chickened out and voted for party most like to get the odious Nick Griffin of the BNP out.

A bit of a dog's breakfast all in all.

Am looking forward to Milkstone and Deeplsh scrap with 6 hopefuls in the running.

Good luck also to Carl Faulkener standing again as an indie. A bit too right wing for my taste but he fights a thoughtful, intelligent campaign and did well last time.

Last edited by Hinch on Wed May 07, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

The elections: Candidates pitches Empty Election.

Post  Manc Tue May 06, 2014 1:35 pm

I've applied for a postal vote but haven't received it yet. Rochdale must be running late......how unusual!!!! Very Happy 
When do they have to be returned?

Manc

Back to top Go down

The elections: Candidates pitches Empty Re: The elections: Candidates pitches

Post  Hinch Tue May 06, 2014 1:49 pm

20th of May.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  davelee Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 pm

I am glad to see 3 Green Party candidates standing and hope they do well. I confidently predict that Labour will remain in power and that the Council will have a new leader. Richard Farnell,?  What are your odds Old Regulator?
davelee
davelee

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue May 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Even if Labour lost every seat, it would still retain overall control.

Never been attracted by the Greens though I wish Mark luck.

I hope leadership election is interesting. I think change is called for and RF seems to be the only real contender.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Manc wrote:

I've applied for a postal vote but haven't received it yet. Rochdale must be running late......how unusual!!!! Very Happy 
When do they have to be returned?

They are going out in batches,some as late as the end of this week.

And they don't need to be returned by the 20th, they have to be back with the Council by or on polling day (22nd). That can be by post beforehand (depending on how punctual you expect them to be) or to any polling station in the relevant ward on the day itself.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed May 07, 2014 2:00 am

Oh dear. Are you hoping for 'change'???
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 am

I think that "more of the same" is the inevitable outcome. I think that this election is particularly interesting for Rochdale. More candidates from more parties than I can recall and will be intrigued to see how UKIP will perform and how they will affect voting patterns.

Will also be curious to see if the Lib Dems continue their downward slide into becoming a spent political force as I suspect. Although I might be premature in writing them off entirely.

As for change, Atlas is right. There will be one or two new faces no doubt but the song remains the same. A tad less arrogance would be welcome though.

I do think that Labour needs a change of leadership but not entirely convinced that Richard Farnell is the right choice although he will surely have a less toxic relationship with the MP than currently exists and there would be likely to be big cabinet changes.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I see only 5 of the 20 Lib Dem candidates have bothered to submit a pitch to RO. Looks like they've given up already.

In Hennigan's day, they would have been up before the rest and with 100% participation.

Doesn't take long for a party to nosedive. That fiasco with the Greg Cousins Alliance was a disaster from which they haven't even started to recover.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Most interesting pitch to me is this one by The Man With Two Names.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/854/dave-edler
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Andy Kelly's pitch is terrible. I really like Andy but as Leader of the Lib Dems and prospective Parliamentary candidate. I expected something more focused and hard hitting with perhaps a passing mention of actual policies.

Vote Andy for youth club leader, skate parks, Morris dancing and fancy dress hire! Sounds like he thinks he's standing for a Parish Council.

Wake up Andy and get back in the room!

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/929/andy-kelly
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 pm

About the best pitch so far is Robert Clegg's.

Written in clear English with real paragraphs, good grammar and punctuation. Outlines his experience and his record and tells us what qualities he will bring to the job.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/931/robert-clegg
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Thu May 08, 2014 3:41 pm

They make an interesting read for sure.
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu May 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Some really are appallingly bad. Nobody beaten Shefali Ahmed's contribution two years ago when she said, "I want to make this a thieving borough..."

I'll never forgive Rochdale Online for correcting it though not until after I had spotted it and sent it in to Private Eye.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri May 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Worst ward for submission of pitches is Milkstone and Deeplish which with 6 candidates is supposed to be the most hotly contested! Only the Respect candidate has bothered to submit a pitch.

Bamford is the only ward where all 3 candidates have submitted. None of the 3 candidates n Smallbridge and Firgrove have sent anything.

8 of the 13 UKIP candidates have pitched making them top performer apart from Respect with a single candidate who has submitted one.

A lacklustre performance considering that the postal ballot slips have already been sent out. I wonder how many of them will be returned with similar handwriting and pen colour?
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed May 14, 2014 4:36 pm

If a candidate can't be bothered to write a pitch, I must say that I can't be bothered to vote for them.

Hardly inspires you to believe that they would become an active local Councillor in your area does it?
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu May 15, 2014 7:02 am

And the first prize for poor spelling and grammar goes to Rifat Mahmood (C) Milkstone and Deeplish. ('Citizens guild' when he means City and Guilds. 'Collage' where he means 'college'. Small 'c' in 'Conservative' etc.)

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/855/rifat-mahmood
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu May 15, 2014 8:14 am

I still chuckle when i get leaflets through the door from various candidates saying we wil fight for this or fight for that. Such as in Newhey. The old Coral Mill site utter eyesore. I know there was a application put through years ago but it got canned. Ive since found out theres is a new planner going through the motions.

Yet the local Labour candidate stated he will work to get the site 'sorted' but hasnt really said how.

I know its old hat spin and PR. But you think the candidates would have worked out things have moved on since the Ministry of Dark Arts on Drake Street as it was described by an ex RO Forum Priest.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu May 15, 2014 12:17 pm

[quote="Hinch"]

Do much of the electorate read 'poor' spelling and grammar just as, if not more easily than 'correct' English?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Being a councillor demands a good working knowledge of English as they are often expected to read, understand and respond to hefty, complex documents.

If they can't even produce a short election pitch with the use of appropriate spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax etc, then this particular member of the electorate certainly wouldn't vote for them.

I accept that a whole generation seems more comfortable with text-speak but I'm not one of 'em.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Not so many people will know candidates personally. It might be helpful if candidates produced some sort of standard fact sheet showing skills such as numeracy and comprehension, so voters might be better informed.

It's probably a realistic political calculation for candidates to think the less we know about them, the more likely we are to elect them. As Poppy says, it doesn't inspire confidence.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Ah, you must mean the Cyril Smith Gambit. It certainly worked very wełl for him.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Perhaps the more we know about candidates, the less likely we will elect them. Elections are a bit like betting on horses really, you can apply a system or just like the name of a horse, but the bookie wins.

Apart from aspiring politicians being able to write proper sentences, so many established politicians seem incapable of speaking calmly and clearly. They need to gargle before each sentence, then repeat the first words several times, as if this somehow adds weight to whatever they are droning on about.

Gaar, gaaargle, y y yes the the, in the, in the, the case of ... case of .... . Apparently a modern 'political' style of speaking rather than a speech impediment.

As for numeracy, similar to darts players who failed maths but can add up the score backwards and inside out, politicians who throw away millions of pounds suddenly become arithmetical wizards when it comes to understanding how to flip and squeeze the expenses system.

If only this man can be caught
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/maxwell-parsons-fugitive-mastermind-fraudster-7099806
If he is given a comfy but secure prison cell with a computer, a deal could be struck where he will be released as soon as he has got rid of the UK national debt. Such talent should be put to good use.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri May 16, 2014 12:51 am

Hinch wrote:And the first prize for poor spelling and grammar goes to Rifat Mahmood (C) Milkstone and Deeplish. ('Citizens guild' when he means City and Guilds. 'Collage' where he means 'college'. Small 'c' in 'Conservative' etc.)

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/855/rifat-mahmood

But -?   But there a lots of small 'c's in Conservatives?  Big ones too so I believe!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely? scratch 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 am

Oh you teaser. I know a lot of words that begin with a lower-case 'c' Atlas; one or two of which are definitely not to be used before the watershed.

However, he uses the word 'Conservative' in the context of a proper noun which demands upper case as the 'A' does in when using it in its non-cartographical sense.

Hinch of course, is not a purist. I use the odd bit of slang such as 'em when I mean 'them'.

May I suggest you dig out some old copies of Readers Digest? They used to have a running column called 'Towards more picturesque speech'.

An election address is a shop window of a sort. Best to get it right. I'm a sucker for a bit of solid English prose; something that was thrashed into me as an 11+ failing Sec Mod failure. If a thick like me can get it mostly right, then a candidate in an election should be able to.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum