Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new low for the dolphin killers of Taiji

+5
Spartacus
Hinch
cyfrifia
Poppyanna555
UP THE DALE
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A new low for the dolphin killers of Taiji - Page 2 Empty Re: A new low for the dolphin killers of Taiji

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news%2Fiteam&id=8877991

Just one thing about this. The whale and dolphin meat is NOT safe for humans to eat, as it is toxic. Would people in this country be allowed to eat toxic laden chicken?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

A new low for the dolphin killers of Taiji - Page 2 Empty Re: A new low for the dolphin killers of Taiji

Post  Dalelad Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:30 pm

We were told that beef was safe a few years ago in the BSE crisis. Who knows how many of us have the odd prion or two in our heads?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Are you a veggie UTD? The thought of animal cruelty sickens me but I suppose I am a hypocrite and still love my fish & meat which is often produced at a dreadful cost in terms of animal welfare.

Been on the Heather Mills website and seen some of the Chinese & South East Asian live-animal markets. Truly sickening. Slowly hanging dogs on piano-wire and dying in fear and agony so that they excrete endorphins to tenderise their own meat Cats and dogs flayed and cooked alive etc. Carp put alive into boling fat, cooked for a few seconds then eaten whilst still wriggling.

And as for the baby monkeys being held in a special hinged table with just their heads sticking out and then having their skulls smashed by a grinning waiter and their brains scooped out by the assembled 'gourmet' diners... it defies the very concept of what it is to be a civilised human being.

I don't eat veal and could never choose a live lobster to be cooked in front of me. On the other side of the coin I like a meaty/fishy bargain as much as the next hypocritical, animal-loving carnivore. A

ll very confusing.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Hinch wrote:Are you a veggie UTD? The thought of animal cruelty sickens me but I suppose I am a hypocrite and still love my fish & meat which is often produced at a dreadful cost in terms of animal welfare.

Been on the Heather Mills website and seen some of the Chinese & South East Asian live-animal markets. Truly sickening. Slowly hanging dogs on piano-wire and dying in fear and agony so that they excrete endorphins to tenderise their own meat Cats and dogs flayed and cooked alive etc. Carp put alive into boling fat, cooked for a few seconds then eaten whilst still wriggling.

And as for the baby monkeys being held in a special hinged table with just their heads sticking out and then having their skulls smashed by a grinning waiter and their brains scooped out by the assembled 'gourmet' diners... it defies the very concept of what it is to be a civilised human being.

I don't eat veal and could never choose a live lobster to be cooked in front of me. On the other side of the coin I like a meaty/fishy bargain as much as the next hypocritical, animal-loving carnivore. A

ll very confusing.

I can't even bear think about it. Breaks my heart. I will never understand people who commit these terrible acts.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Have only recently become Vegetarian Hinch, after a long journey to become one. I don't believe I could become vegan, though wish I had the commitment to become one. Relatively easy to become a vegetarian compared to becoming a vegan from what I can tell.

I believe a good start is the end of battery farming and the introduction of animal welfare including free range. It would need government support along with support for organic farming.

All those examples you gave Hinch are truly disgusting and awful. I think the dolphin hunts and killings are in the same league of the examples you give, and far worse than the normal farmed meat eaten. There is in my opinion differences in levels of animal cruelty. The following that I posted earlier on is in my opinion amongst the worse, due to the fact that the baby and juvenile dolphin after experiencing their mother's death are then put back into the ocean to their certain death.

"“Don't mistake the return of the baby and juvenile to the sea as misguided kindness; the dolphin hunters are completely aware the young dolphins will die. Despite issuing this death sentence at sea, using their twisted logic, the hunters will undoubtedly claim they don't kill babies. Had they killed the young ones, they would have had to count those bodies as part of their quota and the cold facts are that a baby dolphin doesn't have enough flesh to make its murder profitable.”
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I could be a veggie... right up until the minute I next go camping and smell the aroma of bacon sizzling gently on the primus in the tent next door!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Brilliant anti captivity video. Without the captivity industry there would be no dolphin hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fKSMKYQW_7o
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 pm

This video almost reduced me to tears....but i'm damn angry too!! Sad Evil or Very Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to watch it. I will try.

I watched it and I am glad I did so. Powerful and moving film.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 pm

via Ceta Base:
- 2012/2013 Drive Fisheries page has been updated to reflect new totals following a hunt on Nov 13th, 2012.

Since the start of the season on September 1st, 2012 a total of 315 dolphins from four species have been driven into the cove in Taiji, Japan. Of this total 156 were killed, 118 were released (two of these dependent juveniles Risso's dolphins not likely to survive) and 32 were live-capture, at least three additional animals died (two pilot whales, one after live-capture & one carcass found beached after release, one incidental death of a bottlenose following a drive). Species captured, sold & killed include: Bottlenose Dolphins (T. gilli), Risso's Dolphins (G. griseus), Short-finned Pilot Whale (G. macrorhynchus) and Striped Dolphins (S. coeruleoalba).

http://www.ceta-base.com/drivefisheries.html
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Did you watch the live streaming last night, Up the Dale?

I did. Shocking.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Bits of it Spartacus. Very hard to watch.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 am

http://dolphinproject.org/blog/post/a-new-kill-of-rissos-dolphins

This an account from yesterday. Sad

Today though the cove is BLUE Smile

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 pm

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:58 pm

There's so many petitions. I've signed loads.

I'm right behind Sea Shepherd and Melissa Sehgal.

Are you following the campaign on twitter?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Me too.
Following the campaign on Twitter and Facebook.

Sea Shepard are amazing, true heroes of the seas and oceans and all what lives in them.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Just to add Sea Shepard and the rest are the complete opposite of the lowlifes they oppose.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Just to add Sea Shepard and the rest are the complete opposite of the lowlifes they oppose.

Well said.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:29 am

It's another blue cove as the killers in their boats have returned empty handed in Taiji 9-52 am local time. Very Happy
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 am

A family of 10 Risso dolphins struggled and fought for over five hours as the dolphin killers finally drove the pod into the killing cove. The battle seemed like it would never end. After nearly 6 hours, 2 dolphins were taken captive by Taiji Dolphin Resort Trainers and placed in the harbor sea pens. 2 dolphins (one a young calf) and possibly mother were hidden under tarps and dumped back out to sea hopefully still alive. The remaining 6 dolphins were slaughtered and their bodies dragged to the butcher house. There was no meat auction today as the struggle and slaughter ended too late in the day. — at Taiji, Japan

Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians - Friday Nov 16 2012

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Bad day. Would not be surprised if the two dumped back to see are already dead or half dead. They will at the very least be very stressed and sad, after seeing family members butchered and murdered, and being chased with a terrible wall of sound for over six miles. The dolphins are honourable mammals, the hunters have absolutely no honour. Really hope the two released will be ok.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 pm

No murder today-just reported from Japan "Taiji: Rainy Saturday morning here & the dolphin killers have the day off. A peaceful day & Blue Cove. Nov 17, 2012"-great news.

https://twitter.com/seashepherd

https://my.seashepherd.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=693&srctid=1&erid=6080157

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336936

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 am

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 am

Is this a seasonal thing UTD or does it happen all year round?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Good question DL. The official season for the Taiji dolphin drive is from 1st September to end of February, or until they have reached the quotas given to them. However they get around this by returning to sea, juveniles and babies as they get paid on the basis of the weight of the catch, so they might end up driving twice as many of a breed into the Cove, therefore subjecting many more to distress and loss of life to many more pods of dolphins, often females who are mothers being lost, therefore affecting the future of the pod.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next