Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knowl View

3 posters

Go down

Knowl View Empty Knowl View

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Knowl View Empty Re: Knowl View

Post  UP THE DALE Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Well both Charly and myself were wondering weeks ago on here if Knowl View would come to light. This needs investigating fully. Looks like as he got older he went for younger victims, if these reports are true.

UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 pm

I know virtually nothing about it and am keen to read the documents.

At the moment I don't know enough to have an honest and informed opinion.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I love how the 'Ob' says, "We can reveal today allegations that Cyril Smith abused boys not only at Cambridge House but also at Knowl View special school..." as if this is a new story.

As is becoming a very familiar story in Rochdale, much was known for years and years, sod all was done and the only positive step taken was to put up a Blue Plaque to the alleged perpetrator.

And they wonder why this town 'gets' a bad press. It doesn't just get a bad press but the way it has handled this stuff for years damn well ENSURES it gets a bad press... when the papers eventually dare to print it that is.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:52 pm

It was a bad day when the town lost RAP, for at least it dared question the goings on of the politicians etc of the town.
The local paper is and always has been a load of rubbish, and always acted as though it was the Cyril Smith fan club.

What a shame this so called man could not have been held to account when he was alive. Sadly too many were always there to rubbish his accusers and to protect him in the police and other high places. I dread to think how many more acts of abuse he might have carried out, as he spent a lot of time in the company of children and young adults in his many roles, many of these roles to do with children.

Like Saville, Smith seamed to favour working with young people, we now have an idea why.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:33 pm

I didn't know a lot about Knowl View and have repeatedly come across the following in reading old news and reports etc

The full truth may take a while to emerge: Knowl View school records have been restricted from public view for 100 years. ! ?

Let's hope this isn't true, or that it can be over-ruled in the best interests of separating rumours from truths. study

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 pm

100 years?
Is that so everyone involved will be long dead?
Has this restriction ever been placed on a schools records before?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Charly wrote:100 years? Is that so everyone involved will be long dead?
Has this restriction ever been placed on a schools records before?

Charly: ‘Yes.’ It appears to be about policies for access to Restricted Records Under The Data Protection Act, 1998 and Freedom of Information Act, 2000.

The Data Protection Act may restrict access to records for the lifetime of a person, given that personal information contained in a record may be considered sensitive or liable to cause distress….such as data which provides details on: racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of a trade union, a physical or mental health condition, their sexual life, committing or alleged committing by them of any offence or any proceedings detailing that offence.

School Records (both Local Authority and private deposit)School registers, such as admission registers, punishment registers and school log books contain personal data, including names, addresses and dates of birth, and sensitive personal data, such as transfer to approved schools, misdemeanours, punishments received, and health problems. The following closure periods and restrictions have applied to school records:

Admission registers: These records are subject to a 96 year closure due to the Data Protection Act 1998 (if living) and Freedom of Information Act s40 – personal information.
Log books: These records are subject to a 96 year closure due to the Data Protection Act 1998 (if living) and Freedom of Information Act s40 – personal information.
Punishment books, pupil records/cards, accident books, contagious illness records: These records are subject to a 96 year closure due to the Data Protection Act 1998 (if living) and Freedom of Information Act s40 – personal information.
Staff records: These records are subject to an 84 year closure period under the Data Protection Act 1998 (if living) and Freedom of Information Act s40 – personal information.

Records relating to Children’s Homes may be closed for 100 years under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Right of access may be granted to an individual for that individual’s personal information provided it doesn’t breach the confidentiality of ‘other’ third parties.

And all of this might have been legally amended, but I'm not aware if it has. Perhaps someone else reading is better informed ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 pm

The following was published in 1995, giving many names and information about Knowl View:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boys-in-special-school-were-at-risk-of-aids-1600318.html

If anyone has any doubts that our council and police have not been aware over time, it is a “must read,” albeit of mind-numbing neglect and abuses.

A point is surely that ‘other’ offenders (and victims) involved are alive and needs for justice remain?

It's been commented elsewhere on this forum that there should be ' no taboos,' but transparency.
I wonder if this entire Knowl View situation will finally be thoroughly, openly investigated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1015186_compensation_bid_over_ordeal_at_knowl_view

I am 'Gizmo' who comments at the bottom of the article and I see the other person who commented is one of the boys abused.
I used the name Gizmo so I wouldn't identify myself as I had already been threatened to 'watch your back' for 'upsetting Cyril Smith'
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Can I also point out that Knowl View didn't close when these reports are saying..
http://schooletc.co.uk/school-knowl-view-residential-school-105859
Knowl View Residential School (Closed - Aug. 31, 1996)
Norden Road
Bamford
Rochdale
Lancashire
OL115PT

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm

I congratulate your tenacity in trying to get some justice for the abuses and victims of Knowl View.

Am I right in thinking you are convinced of Smith's involvement in abuse of children at Knowl View, and if so was he involved for a number of years in various abuses?

I think this shows just what a disgusting power hungry bully he was. It's obvious that he had people who knew of his actions, possibly colleagues of his. People who were more concerned about defending the reputation of an abuser than the victims of his actions.

Many were convinced of his guilt of abuses at Knowl View as well as Cambridge House, though the Cambridge House abuses are far well known.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 pm

I dont know specific details of Smiths involvement, I only contacted him in his role as (ex) school governor.
I only have the name of (as he is described in the paperwork) a 'known sex offender' who 'gained access through 2 secure doors' and therefore access to the boys, at a time when the only member of staff on duty was the caretaker. Nothing happened to the man, until a few years later when I saw his name reported as being sent to prison for abusing a neighbours children
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm

The fact that he had someone warn you off is enough to realise he had something to hide OR that also he knew of others who were involved, maybe close acquaintances of his.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Check your PM
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Have done, cheers for that.

People in the know not standing up to the likes of Smith, are as much to blame as they are for getting away with criminal acts.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down