Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayan Apocalype

+8
Prudence Tempered
cyfrifia
Dalelad
nickih
Charly
UP THE DALE
Chill37
Irishman
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mayan Apocalype Empty Mayan Apocalype

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm

According to the Mayan theory, the end of the world is coming, 21 Dec, 2012, are we worried about it or are we bothered we might miss Christmas?

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Mayan Apocalype Empty Re: Mayan Apocalype

Post  Chill37 Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Not bothered.

Come Dec 22 there will be a lot of red faces, or excuses like oops we got the date wrong or its been delayed 'cos of leaves on the track!

Still keeps some people happy and occupied whilst they dream up the lastet way the world is going to end.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Absolutely agree Chill. I never believe anything based on religious fantasies. If and when the world ends it will be either as a result of man made catastrophe or some natural disaster, like a massive meteor or similar thing from outer space, or in billions of years time when the Sun burns up. It's like people believing the parting of the Red sea was done by Moses, when in fact it was a natural phenomenon as proven by science. Science over religion any-time for me.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Do you agree Irishman with their theory? I would make an educated guess and say you don't.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Nope! just wondered if anyone did, but predictions like this have many people worried and indeed in total belief, what makes someone believe such predictions?

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Well they believe in God(s) so they would believe the moon was made of cheese if their religious comics told them so, or the earth was flat.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 pm

I would say you hit the nail on the head there Up the Dale, bit like us causing global warming. Laughing

Last edited by Irishman on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Are you saying you do or don't believe global warming is caused by humans?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 pm

This planet has been warming up and cooling down even before humans were invented and it will continue, but it's a great money making venture so far. Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 pm

I went to visit Chichin Itza a few years ago, it was fascinating , the guide told us the story of what happened at the equinox with the 'feathered serpent' appearing as the sun cast shadows on the corners and the steps... he explained what it all meant as it was considered to be the Mayan calendar.
I cant remember it all but it was explained as, 4 corners for the 4 seasons, 91 steps on each side and the final step to the temple at the top made 365 for the days of the year , there was also the months but I cant remember what he said about them (it was about 7-8 years ago)
It was quite scary climbing up the steps to the very top, they were high steps so for little old me it was more of a clamber than a climb Laughing Luckily there was a chain for you to drag yourself up with.
I'm not so good with heights so although I did walk round the top What a Face I came down on my bum
I heard recently that visitors are no longer allowed to climb up

Last edited by Charly on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm

I'll be be a bit cross. We're supposed to be flying over to Malaga to see my Dad. He's already stocking up on the vodka and I'd hate for that to go to waste.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Irishman wrote:This planet has been warming up and cooling down even before humans were invented and it will continue, but it's a great money making venture so far. Very Happy

I agree there are periods of warm ups and cool downs but I honestly do believe there is human made global warming.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 pm

nickih wrote:I'll be be a bit cross. We're supposed to be flying over to Malaga to see my Dad. He's already stocking up on the vodka and I'd hate for that to go to waste.

You will enjoy the trip even more, knowing you have all survived to drink loads of vodka. Smile
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:
Irishman wrote:This planet has been warming up and cooling down even before humans were invented and it will continue, but it's a great money making venture so far. Very Happy

I agree there are periods of warm ups and cool downs but I honestly do believe there is human made global warming.

Well it's keeping lots and lots of people in work, most of them are environmentalists and those predicting disaster ahead, sound familiar. If I were a scientist in work I would not talk myself out of a job by going against the grain, would you? Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:
nickih wrote:I'll be be a bit cross. We're supposed to be flying over to Malaga to see my Dad. He's already stocking up on the vodka and I'd hate for that to go to waste.

You will enjoy the trip even more, knowing you have all survived to drink loads of vodka. Smile

And I may not come back, just in case they announce a new date!
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm not buying any prezzies just in case. May be in for a stressful couple of days on the 23rd and 24th though.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Not forgetting the stess on the 25th when you don't turn up with prezzies. Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 pm

That Mayan calendar thing is something to do with astronomy isn't it, the galactic horizon does something or other, Hinch might know, he does astronomy I think.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 am

That's a typically weak argument against the theory that global warming is partly caused by human activity. It's a bit like saying the because some forest fires are caused naturally then it's impossible for people to cause them too.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Prudence Tempered wrote:

That's a typically weak argument against the theory that global warming is partly caused by human activity. It's a bit like saying the because some forest fires are caused naturally then it's impossible for people to cause them too.

It's more like saying the arrogance of people believing they have the power to control this planet is off the scale Prudence and the green taxes you pay will solve the problem of nature; you’re being scammed on a big scale. The weather system on this planet is driver by chaos, at anytime in the future it could wipe us off the planet in a matter of days, this isn't a future thing, it has happened in the past without the intervention of humans and could just aswell happen in the future should our 'Luck' run out.

In the 60s/early 70's they were 100% convinced the planet was going into and iceage until 76 when we had a heatwave, then they told us in 10/20 years we would have tropical summers and we could all be dead 30 or 40 years down the line. What they never told us is that they can't predict a weather forcast more than 5 days ahead...and even then they don't always get it right. Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Our local problems are caused by man, the flooding in many places up and down the country are because we have concreted much of the country and the rain has few places to drain off, as simple as that.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Irishman wrote:Our local problems are caused by man, the flooding in many places up and down the country are because we have concreted much of the country and the rain has few places to drain off, as simple as that.

There have always been floods, Irishman, just read you Bible if you don't accept that. But if you believe all these anti-concrete fundamentalists you will just have fallen for a huge scam.

Or is that different?

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Irishman wrote:Our local problems are caused by man, the flooding in many places up and down the country are because we have concreted much of the country and the rain has few places to drain off, as simple as that.

And built houses on natural flood plains.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Chill37 wrote:

And built houses on natural flood plains.

At a time when there are more floods because of climate change.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum