Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayan Apocalype

+8
Prudence Tempered
cyfrifia
Dalelad
nickih
Charly
UP THE DALE
Chill37
Irishman
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mayan Apocalype - Page 3 Empty Re: Mayan Apocalype

Post  Irishman Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 am

If they got up tomorrow and told the truth, Global warming is a natural occurrence and only nature can change it, many many millions of people would be out of a job Chill, would you talk yourself out of a job by telling the truth and going against the grain?

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 am

Irishman wrote:You're not getting it Prudence concrete does not cause rainfall.

Therefore concrete is not the major cause of the recent floods and you need to come with a better explanation of what really was.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:47 am

Prudence Tempered wrote:
Irishman wrote:You're not getting it Prudence concrete does not cause rainfall.

Therefore concrete is not the major cause of the recent floods and you need to come with a better explanation of what really was.

I give up Prudence, concrete has nothing to do with the weather system it does not make more rain but it does have a lot to do with were the water goes and if the earth can't soak up Rain because of concrete, it floods in places it shouldn't, it's a simple concept.

There was a flood at the bottom of our road when it poured down the other day because rain that fell couldn't get away because of the concrete stopping it.

My last word on the subject.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:56 am

But it's that very weather system that is the major cause of the recent floods, not development on watercourses as you claim which is merely an aggravating factor.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 am

But if the concrete was not there preventing the water from being absorbed into the ground the floods would have not been as bad. Im not saying the floods wouldnt have happened, but they might not have been so bad. Nor would the number of houses been flooded if they were not built on natural flood plains in the first place.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 am

Chill37 wrote:But if the concrete was not there preventing the water from being absorbed into the ground the floods would have not been as bad. Im not saying the floods wouldnt have happened, but they might not have been so bad. Nor would the number of houses been flooded if they were not built on natural flood plains in the first place.

I agree with that but it's not the main root of the problem. Many of the floods this year have not been in areas that have previously been prone to flood or where there has been mass development. Nor does it explain rising sea levels. If only people in the Maldives could fend off the ocean by ripping up their double garages and that pesky out-of-town Asda.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm

according to statisitics, the rainfall this last month has been nowhere near as high as some of the maxima reached in previous years when no major flooding has taken place

BUT

The ground is saturated, leading to run-off to storm drains and watercourses

AND

The proliferation of flat concrete areas and flat warefhouse (and suchlike roofs) cause water to be drained directly into stom drains and watercourse rather than be absorbed into the ground to soak away to the aquefers.

This is why building regulations were recently changed to ensure that large expanses of flat, impervious ground or roof are now fed to soak-aways, or be made of porous material, rather than be drained by culverts or gully to rivers and drains.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:17 pm

johnb wrote:according to statisitics, the rainfall this last month has been nowhere near as high as some of the maxima reached in previous years when no major flooding has taken place

BUT

The ground is saturated, leading to run-off to storm drains and watercourses

AND

The proliferation of flat concrete areas and flat warefhouse (and suchlike roofs) cause water to be drained directly into stom drains and watercourse rather than be absorbed into the ground to soak away to the aquefers.

This is why building regulations were recently changed to ensure that large expanses of flat, impervious ground or roof are now fed to soak-aways, or be made of porous material, rather than be drained by culverts or gully to rivers and drains.

The latest figures shown on the regional news last night show that rainfall records have been smashed all over the North West.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Probably the heavy rain that did that.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 pm

least we wont have a drought - which was predicted by some 'experts' a while ago.

But probably changed their minds.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Chill37 wrote:least we wont have a drought - which was predicted by some 'experts' a while ago.

We can have both - that's one of the 'gifts' of climate change. Drought followed by downpour and flood.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Chill37 wrote:least we wont have a drought - which was predicted by some 'experts' a while ago.

There was a drought in the south east of the country, Chill. Caused by a severe lack of rainfall for a couple of years. Hence the need to advise people about saving water and plan for continued lack of rainfall. The deluge we've had since spring this year doesn't mean that there wasn't a drought before. What do you want? For experts to say nothing ever about anything that may affect us?
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Our weather system is chaos, you can't pin it down to more than 5 days ahead, there will alway be the breaking of weather records, the rain fall records have been broken in the past absolutely nothing to do with climate change and more to do with normal chaotic weather. They pleaded Gobal warming last year when it showed heavy through winter, give me a break, we've had masive snow falls in the past in winter, sort of a winter thing you know, I remember 64.

We have a weather system that changes, what's new, if you pay your green taxes the Goverment will give you stable weather, hahaha. Laughing

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Dalelad wrote:

There was a drought in the south east of the country, Chill. Caused by a severe lack of rainfall for a couple of years. Hence the need to advise people about saving water and plan for continued lack of rainfall. The deluge we've had since spring this year doesn't mean that there wasn't a drought before. What do you want? For experts to say nothing ever about anything that may affect us?

Well what I want is for these 'experts' to actually stick to when its going to be too late for our planet. As Ive said in posts on this thread they change their mind almost weekly and never seem to agree on when its too late.

Yes Im fully aware that the South had a drought. In the first quarter of this month the North West was heading for a serious drought. Yet we then got floods. But I do recall 'experts' were saying the South was going to be like France climate and have wine yards etc. But we have floods etc. So forgive me if I do get a bit sceptical when the latest sooth sayer appears on the horizon. So yes I do expect experts to say things and warn us. But at least stick to what they are saying and not keep moving the goalposts every now and then.
Not much to ask for.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Irishman wrote:Our weather system is chaos, you can't pin it down to more than 5 days ahead, there will alway be the breaking of weather records, the rain fall records have been broken in the past absolutely nothing to do with climate change and more to do with normal chaotic weather. They pleaded Gobal warming last year when it showed heavy through winter, give me a break, we've had masive snow falls in the past in winter, sort of a winter thing you know, I remember 64.

We have a weather system that changes, what's new, if you pay your green taxes the Goverment will give you stable weather, hahaha. Laughing

According to that theory (for want of a better word) climate change is't just not happening it's actually impossible. Because weather - which is not the same as climate, but we'll let that pass - is unpredictable then any new highs ans lows set in the future must be explained by that. No thought for the possibility that the 'chaos' may be increasing. Effects can be caused by more than one factor, you seem to be struggling with that concept.

I could equally say that there have been floods in the past therefore any suggestion that concrete and tarmac are causing floods now is hysterical nonsense. That would be just as simplistic and wrong.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm

This is very cheerful just before Christmas Irishman. Bad enough with all the bad news in Rochdale my friend. santa rendeer cheers
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Chill37 wrote: But I do recall 'experts' were saying the South was going to be like France climate and have wine yards etc. But we have floods etc. So forgive me if I do get a bit sceptical when the latest sooth sayer appears on the horizon. So yes I do expect experts to say things and warn us. But at least stick to what they are saying and not keep moving the goalposts every now and then.
Not much to ask for.
The south is going to get a climate more like that of France and will have more vineyards, so you don't need to be sceptical. The 'experts' have been pretty constant about climate change for a good while now in saying that it's happening. I haven't seen many changing their tune.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 am

It matters not which tune is played. Homo sapien has been to blame for everything that has happened on the planet for the last two thousand years to hear tell, so why not climate change or weather patterns or little green monkeys doing 'it' in the jungle. Of the worlds population if I was to say - Stop what you are doing you are destroying the planet - half would think me a nut-case, three-quarters of the remainder wouldn't give a toss and the few that are left wouldn't make a mark on a polished surface. IF we are responsible for climate change the planet will soon let us know about it. By then of course it will be too late. We, along with three-quarters of the planets remaining species, will be eliminated. What remains will take over. So WHAT's NEW?
Meanwhile - happy paddling.

As for Mayan predictions. PLEASE - Give me a break.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 am

Dalelad wrote:
Chill37 wrote: But I do recall 'experts' were saying the South was going to be like France climate and have wine yards etc. But we have floods etc. So forgive me if I do get a bit sceptical when the latest sooth sayer appears on the horizon. So yes I do expect experts to say things and warn us. But at least stick to what they are saying and not keep moving the goalposts every now and then.
Not much to ask for.
The south is going to get a climate more like that of France and will have more vineyards, so you don't need to be sceptical. The 'experts' have been pretty constant about climate change for a good while now in saying that it's happening. I haven't seen many changing their tune.

No just the date that is the 'last chance to save the planet' keeps changing,

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum