Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale.

+14
Atlas
Chill37
Shaza
Poppyanna555
johnb
southernbelle
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
Charly
Jeanie
Admin
Hinch
UP THE DALE
Spartacus
18 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale. Empty Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale.

Post  Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 pm

After many months of pressure, Rochdale Safeguarding Children's Board has finally confirmed that a Serious Case Review into the Rochdale sex grooming case will now take place, looking at the experiences of several of the children/victims involved.

Lynne Jones, Chair of RSCB, is reported to have stated, ' I have decided to undertake a serious case review which will follow existing regulations, and also incorporate elements of the government's proposed new approach to learning.'

'Lessons Learnt' are a tenet of studies and, while not decrying those values, accountability for and the nature of responses to the children's needs will hopefully be scrutinised, robustly. The police reported in May they believed there could have been up to 47 victims who were sexually exploited and abused by a gang of local men.  That statement alone has left many with deep unease, many unanswered questions.

Good lobbying so far by the local MP.

Hope RSCB bring in some truly Independent professionals for the Serious Case Review.

Back to top Go down

Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale. Empty Re: Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale.

Post  Spartacus Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Good news.

I wonder by whom and how the cases to be reviewed were chosen. I hope they were not hand-picked to lead the review down one particular path or another.

I agree with giving credit where credit is due and Simon Danczuk deserves recognition for his continuing efforts with regard to this issue.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale. Empty Re: Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale.

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes good news. Lets hope ALL the truth comes out, including about those who lost their jobs despite doing the right thing and reporting their findings of problems.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Funny old thing how the Review has been announced alongside the 200 job loses and £45 million cuts? Coincidence?

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, I know it's a bit unfashionable to praise Simon D but on this, the plight of the borough's homeless and the 'pasty tax' issue he has made an important and welcome contribution.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Spartacus wrote:Funny old thing how the Review has been announced alongside the 200 job loses and £45 million cuts? Coincidence?

Sugaring the pill perhaps? Though in this case, very important to realise that these cuts are coming directly from central government.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Unfortunately RMBC will be the target rather than Cameron and Clegg.

Although RMBC fall down in some areas we all know they would rather invest £45 million into our Borough than extract it from its framework. I believe these cuts in conjunction with the earlier ones will only produce a damaged crop which will cost a darn site more to remedy than any "savings" the Condemn Government imagine will be made.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Yes, we think that Farooq Ahmed, portfolio holder for finance will be a busy man trying to balance the books.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:33 pm

I agree Spartacus. Councils and health authorities etc are carrying out the Government's austerity policies for them-all part of the drive to have a smaller State.

The well off are not or will not lose out, in fact they are/will gain from it. Privateers are doing very well out of the cuts at the expense of the majority of us. I bet that the majority of us will see NO overall reduction in the amount of tax we pay, so we will see no benefit.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:42 pm

The fun will really kick in when Universal Benefit starts to come in next year and the council take over responsibility for areas currently administered through the Social Fund.

That coupled with changes in Housing Benefit and an end to direct rent to private landlords will be interesting if not catastrophic.

If we think we have deprivation now, just watch this space.

I think I might apply for a house in one of those gated communities with armed guards on patrol!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:06 pm

hinch wrote:Yes, I know it's a bit unfashionable to praise Simon D but on this, the plight of the borough's homeless and the 'pasty tax' issue he has made an important and welcome contribution.

As you say and I agree credit were it is due these young girls deserved better lets hope the review also puts away the rest of the gang who were involved as the original figure was 39 ??
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Jeanie I have it on good authority that the number of 'those who got away' is higher than what you think.

Media Reports 08 May 2012

Following the convictions of 9 men on counts of sexual abuse between 2008 and 2010, it emerged that police believe there could be up to 50 other men who took part in the grooming but who remain

at large.

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Spartacus wrote:

I wonder by whom and how the cases to be reviewed were chosen. I hope they were not hand-picked to lead the review down one particular path or another.

Spartacus:  Your comments may be too perceptive Exclamation   

A national paper has indicated that social workers and police failed to tackle the issue of such men grooming under-aged girls for up to a decade.                                    This followed the paper’s described receipt of a copy of an “official” report, written by a local sexual health advisor, which gave social workers and police a harrowing insight into the issue in Rochdale in 2005.                                                                     The mother of one girl (Miss F) claims the authorities knew about some young girls and ‘grooming’ abusers from late 2002, but did not act.                                                The Guardian and another newspapers however reported the GMP first knew about the grooming in 2008.    

I’ve no idea how far back a Serious Case Review will go for the chosen cases  but, for as long as timeline differences of 10 years remain unexplained by all the main state services concerned, within their individual or joint reviews, I believe public trust in them will remain, at best, seriously low.  

Rochdale communities need the truth after being bruised by some ghastly trial revelations.    Above all else, the victims surely need our continuing support, open discussions and genuine, caring interest.    

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:43 pm

The minimal and inadequate response of a so called serious case review will be very limited in what it deals with and how little and how shallowly it investigates. Rather the same way of going on as the many years of reports on the Hillsborough disaster.

The things that need dealing with, like the scale of the problem, that it's not properly dealt with, and so ongoing, the inadequate arrangements in place for public safety, blame the victims etc. A rather different sort of disaster, but a similar way of pretending to deal with it. can we expect the usual 'don't rock the boat' cover up? Will it be as easy for the authorities to brush this one off?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 pm

In force http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/72898/time-called-on-council-secrecy.

It's interesting that govt wording seems to block LAs from 'fudging' around with the meaning of committees, sub committees and local authority meetings.

The reviewed "Aiming High" Rochdale council’s website is a Search puzzle now. In July-August it showed the next diarised Corporate Parents Meeting, scheduled for this week:

Meeting attendance

Thursday, 27th September, 2012 6.15 pm, Corporate Parents Forum

Meeting attendance

Attendee
Role
Attendance

Councillor Cecile Biant
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Dale Mulgrew
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Jane Gartside
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Janet Darnbrough
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Jean Hornby
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor June West
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Linda Robinson
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Martin Burke
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Pat Greenall
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Patricia Sullivan
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Raymond Dutton
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Surinder Biant
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Donna Martin
Committee Member
Expected

Obviously it is, or was Sad , a very important councillors’ meeting. I’d hoped the press would attend and give us a better flavour of our Corporate Parents …

Anyone know if it’s been scrapped ? confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Well, like you Mojo I have searched the RMBC site, there is nothing scheduled for this meeting on Thursday.
An unrelated meeting at 11am is all thats listed.
You're right about the difficulty navigating the site. Twisted Evil
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Mojo Hill wrote:In force   http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/72898/time-called-on-council-secrecy.  

It's interesting that govt wording seems to block LAs from 'fudging' around with the meaning of committees, sub committees and local authority meetings.

The reviewed "Aiming High" Rochdale council’s website is a Search puzzle now.  In July-August it showed the next diarised Corporate Parents Meeting, scheduled for this week:  

Meeting attendance

Thursday, 27th September, 2012 6.15 pm, Corporate Parents Forum

Meeting attendance

Attendee
Role
Attendance

Councillor Cecile Biant
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Dale Mulgrew
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Jane Gartside
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Janet Darnbrough
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Jean Hornby
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor June West
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Linda Robinson
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Martin Burke
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Pat Greenall
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Patricia Sullivan
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Raymond Dutton
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Surinder Biant
Committee Member
Expected

Councillor Donna Martin
Committee Member
Expected

Obviously it is, or was Sad ,  a very important councillors’ meeting. I’d hoped the press would attend and give us a better flavour of our Corporate Parents …  

Anyone know if it’s been scrapped ?  confused

Well spotted.  If someone has been fudging the diary in an attempt to 'disguise' important and possibly 'sensitive' meetings in order to prevent the public from having their saying or witnessing democracy in action then they need dropping on from a great height and exposed.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 pm

I've just read this on BBC text news;

"The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire is to face MP's about the scale of alleged sexual abuse of young girls in the county.
It comes after the Times said confidential police reports referred to widespread abuse of girls by Asian men"

He has been summoned to appear before the Commons Home Affairs select committee, was the Chief Constable of GMP brought before the committee?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Fair point Charly. Though I suspect that no one wanted to investigate the reports of abuse because of political correctness and not wanting to invetigate it in case they cause upset. That is the biggest tragedy of the poor victims of this most vile of crimes and why the abuse carried on. We will see what the review brings and just hope that is a fair hearing and nothing brushed under the carpet or paper over the cracks.

I hope people are brought to task for letting this carry on after it was first reported.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 am

To save you disappointment, Teamplayer, we can be fairly sure a 'serious case review' will sweep things under the carpet and paper over the cracks, that's what a 'serious case review' does, it's not designed or intended to do anything else.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 am

Headlines today;

ROCHDALE ABUSE FAILINGS REVEALED

Social Services and police 'missed opportunities' to stop the sexual abuse of young girls in Rochdale, a report into the grooming scandal has revealed.

Deficiencies and patchy training of front line staff were behind the failings, the Rochdale Borough Safeguarding Children Board said in its review of child sexploitation.

It comes after 9 men were jailed in May for grooming girls as young as 13.

Lawyers say the findings could support legal action against social services.

3 girls are thought to be taking action.

Rochdale Borough are to make a statement later today.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 am

I heard Jim Taylor, RMBC Chief Exec trying to wriggle out of questions on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning about whether those responsible are still in post.

He fudged and did not answer. I think that the man in the street will be left to conclude that they are still very much in post. If I were them, I think I'd be looking at the 'Sits Vac' column in The Guardian and getting a pension quote.

(There may be trouble ahead!)

Last edited by hinch on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am

I heard him too, and unsurprisingly arrived at the same conclusion. He would have been better off not bothering to be interviewed than keep repeating, in "parrot fashion", the same remarks about instigating an internal investigation, and agreeing with the finding of the review.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am

Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am

• Why did "front line staff" miss these chances?

How many chances were missed?

Were these chances documented?

How far up the ladder were these "front line staff"?

Why did they miss these chances when not only the girls but their own "professionals" as well as others from outside agencies reported that the abuse was happening?

How many missing person reports involving chidren in care did GMP receive during the period this abuse was happening?

How many of those reports did the police act upon?

How many did the police fail to act upon - WHY?

How many people reporting the abuse of these young girls had the racist finger pointed at them?

Some of those answers here:

Council and police had 107 warnings about sex abuse in town where Asian sex gang spent years raping dozens of children as young as 10

New report finds authorities 'missed opportunities' to shut down nine-man sex gang who operated for several years in Rochdale
NHS warned Rochdale Borough Council and Greater Manchester Police on dozens of occasions over six years about sex abuse risks in the town
Children abused were dismissed as prostitutes and told they were 'making their own choices', report finds
Terrified victims approached police for help but were also ignored

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209261/Council-83-warnings-sex-abuse-town-Asian-sex-gang-spent-years-raping-dozens-children-young-10.html#ixzz27ex5J29n

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next