Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pay rise for council leaders?

+10
Heywoodpp
cyfrifia
Jeanie
Inside_rochdale
Atlas
Hamid
Dalelad
Hinch
Chill37
teamplayer2
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Pay rise for council leaders? - Page 5 Empty Re: Pay rise for council leaders?

Post  Jeanie Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm

http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/83147/parliamentary-inquiry-set-to-look-at-senior-council-officers-pay-following-rochdale-pay-rise-row

I have to give Credit where is is due to our MP regarding this shambles he has spoken out against his own party, sadly far to much damage and mistrust has been caused with the public, but well done to him for speaking out against this absolute shambles, I bet Jim Taylor also wishes he had never heard of Rochdale ?
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:

If the CEO has enough spare time to join the Police Commissioners Office, does this mean he has not been working a full week for RMBC?

Management levels in RMBC have had a ' Work - Life Balance ' arrangement, allowing them to work days/times at home and thus benefit their health and wellbeing.       This would also relieve some commuting issues I'd imagine, for those who are employed by RMBC but who live in other counties, etcetera.       I would expect the CEO, Assistant CEO, Service Directors and Deputy Directors to easily fall within management ' Work/Life Balance ' arrangements, therefore perhaps the CEO has good flexibility, and of course the experience, for contributing to the Police Commissioner's area.

That mooted, this whole subject of salary subsidy for a Local Authority CEO from the PCC appears twaddle, nonsense

Greater Manchester's PCC, who was “elected”  Rolling Eyes   to a salary of £100,00. per annum last November,  has since taken on the greatest number of PCC staff in a police force,  40 + : - far and away the most of any PCC in the country .   A spokesman for the Commissioner has previously said many staff were transferred over from the previous police authority, along with additions like Tony Lloyd’s later appointment of a Deputy Commissioner - one of his former Manchester Labour Councillor/ colleagues, appointed on a salary of £55,000 per annum.

A suggestion that Greater Manchester's PCC needs "more" develops the image of an AGMA Hydra, a burgeoning ' Establishment ' of politicians, council officers and GM police : - a Power culture in which the modern phrase ' in partnership' now substitutes for less-acceptable descriptions.      

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 am

If one comes from Rochdale the chances are one has a great affinity towards the town and its people. Living away doesn't mean we don't care. Given that this particular obscenity (council officer greed) would have been a cause worth fighting against in any quarter at this present time of job losses and cutbacks. A proper parliamentary debate into this constant 'pig-troughing' is very long overdue. We all deserve a decent standard of living and a fair days pay for a fair days work - a proper paid job would be a nice start - but to be awarded such disgusting increases in pay for no discernible reason other than ' because one is there' is very much beyond the pale. Trouble is brewing in many quarters and needs only for the general public to be fobbed off once too often for that anger to become something more. What then -? Yet another public enquiry in wonderment that the streets are burning. Does nobody in control have any sense any more. A million kids without work or hope. It beggars belief -! It really does.Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am

I went to the meeting on Wednesday night. Did anyone see the notices about not allowing cameras etc into the meeting. Looking at what was discussed and all the hot air floating from the Council Chamber, it is a shame they are not filmed. I could not believe what I saw. I am not a regular, but after all the stupidity of the Chief Executive pay rise I just had to see how they do meetings these days.

All I could say I was disappointed, now I do not know what to vote for or who to vote for. They should be filmed live and shown to the public and just show why a lot of people do not vote.

I just hope the article on the agenda for the pay rise was not a deflection for now, and then they will try and find  some other way of pushing it through without proper debate. Also without the public knowing. Interesting they may  decide near Christmas!

Last edited by teamplayer2 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

Well based on the last time RMBC was filmed nothing surprises me.

SO who is this Cllr who was more interested in the as&3 kissing of media? Or is there a chance this site could be done for slander?

As Ive said on RO and on here in not so many words if any Cllr votes for the pay rise then they need to be identified so the people of the Borough know who supports snouts in troughs and fat cats over and above the feelings and wishes of the Borough.

Its amazing how ones feelings or views of person can change.

For me. Simon Danczuk has certainly rasied his stock with his comments. Jim Dobbin has really gone in the opposite direction. With his comments/comparisons with GP Wages. Clearly he has been drinking the same stuff when doing the brew round in his office with Cllr Lambert coming out with 'the public supporting our party...'

The Conservative and Lib Dems really didnt confront this with as much vigeour as they could have done. They could have easily delivered the killer blow here. Plus rasing their stock with showing they really do have their finger on the pulse. Such as keeping the pressure on the Labour instead of allowing them to divert.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

It would have been very difficult for either the Lib Dem or Conservative parties to have made more of this at the council meeting itself - or even for any of the mythical Labour rebels.  The motion had been placed on the order paper by the Labour Party and then withdrawn.  So, there was literally nothing to discuss.  Any attempt to have done so would have been ruled out of order by the Mayor as being irrelevant to whatever business was on the table at the time.  The ruling Labour group knew this.

If the Labour Party really were being as 'open and transparent' as they claim, they could have left the original motion to be discussed, allowed the debate and then withdrawn it at the end to be decided at a later date.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am

Prudence Tempered wrote:It would have been very difficult for either the Lib Dem or Conservative parties to have made more of this at the council meeting itself - or even for any of the mythical Labour rebels.  The motion had been placed on the order paper by the Labour Party and then withdrawn.  So there was literally nothing to discuss.  Any attempt to have done so would have been ruled out of order by the Mayor as being irrelevant to whatever business was on the table at the time.  The ruling Labour group knew this.

If the Labour Party really were being as 'open and transparent' as they claim they could have left the original motion to be discussed, allowed the debate and then withdrawn it at the end to be decided at a later date.

That's true at the meeting, but I was thinking more over in the days leading to the meeting.  Plus we still have the deferred meeting in six weeks time. So I just hope they keep the pressure and not let it drop.  Which in my view, is the Labours motive by moving the debate.  They think we wil forget it.  We cant allow that to happen.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am

This issue should be a gift to an effective opposition. (NOTE : key word here is 'effective'. )

More calls on this issue than any other judging by the calls and comments coming into the office. Makes it very hard to accept CL's belief that people are widely supportive of Labour here. This will not go away.

Simon Danczuk has definitely enhanced his reputation on this matter.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Prudence Tempered Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Danczuk is in no position to lecture anyone on salaries paid from the public purse.

Prudence Tempered
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm

A lecture on salaries paid from the public purse might be quite interesting, if it was packed with accurate 'behind the scenes' information and presented entertainingly. Who would be well qualified to give such a lecture ?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Prudence Tempered wrote:Danczuk is in no position to lecture anyone on salaries paid from the public purse.

True.  But at least he has backed up  and agreed with all those who are against the pay cuts issue.  Unlike Jim, who went off at a tangent and tried to bring in GPs!!!

So hopefully the GPs will be able to help Jim and Colin with delusions of grandeur, and help them return to normal life after their recent statements.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:27 pm

cyfrifia wrote:A lecture on salaries paid from the public purse might be quite interesting, if it was packed with accurate 'behind the scenes' information and presented entertainingly. Who would be well qualified to give such a lecture ?
Clearly there is no one in Rochdale fully qualified to deliver such a speech.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:46 pm

My salary was paid out of the pubic purse for over thirty years. Trouble is, as a Staff Nurse on the top incremental point and including my 30% enhancement for night pay, my salary came to far less than Jim Taylor's proposed rise.

Still my job only involved saving the odd life here and there. It was nowhere near as important as Jim's.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Like many others I work in care. Also the people I work with just like me are very dedicated for what we do and very caring. This on top of having to help my better half more now these days. Just like many I still have to work because I cannot claim any benefits and do not wish to. So like many other dedicated people we do it because we care.  Though care workers are poorly paid anyway for what they do, but they soldier on.

You could employ at least three more care workers on one massive pay rise on what was proposed. Instead care has been sold off and privatized. Though because of cutbacks many are left to struggle who may need extra care but do not yet meet the criteria for minimum help. I feel ashamed now I ever voted for any of the councillors on what I witnessed on Wednesday night.

I see there may be other petitions going in against the proposed pay rises. My next door neighbour told me that a written petition was going around the cricket club in Milnrow which she signed last week. So more petitions could be going in to the town hall soon.

teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 am

Keep up the pressure. Whether you like Simon or his politics or not. Such is NOT the issue.

The issue is 'fairness'  - a fair shake of the shilling for everyone -. If such were the case those salaries should, in a responsible fair world, have been reduced or, at the very least, been held static in line with the general downturn in the economy of the town and the reduction in the life-styles of its inhabitants. There should not be those, whatever their self-appointed elevation in life, who are cushioned against the realities and not to put too fine a point on it at the cost to all the rest.  

It's not rocket science for God's sake.Rolling Eyes

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:27 am

How come Rochdale council and councillors 'sleepwalk' into one avoidable crisis after the other? The exercise of paying consultants to give bad advice, then ducking and diving in an attempt to mitigate the consequences was not a good idea.

Rochdale now brings itself to attention again as subject of a possible inquiry into council executive salaries by a Parliamentary Committee.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:42 am

And quite rightly so and not before time. If you act like an irresponsible idiot then you should be treated like one and kicked out and 'sanctioned'.  It's not a free-for-all for pig-troughers even should 'some' think it is.Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:49 am

The politics in Rochdale has gone like most of the country. Greed, sound bites, personalities and political correctness, Where have the real politics gone?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:51 pm

1. Pay rise for council leaders? - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKxpR6aECJpTLGXD_yw6LneakUyaUWxX2TNUAURwRoqexybLdc

Rochdale council ‘crisis fund’ spends the same on its administration as on handouts: - In six months Rochdale council has given just 20pc of its available cash to those facing an emergency    

‘ Roughly £167,000 has been spent on the needy since April 1.  The firm hired to administer the money has been paid £164,361. Shocked 

Officers say they had too little notice to set up the fund in-house, so hired Northgate Public Services – a firm based near London – to administer it.  They appointed them last February under ‘ emergency delegated powers’, saying there was too little time to consult councillors.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-mp-simon-danczuks-rochdale-6237209

'Poor judgement shown by senior officers,' who ?, and in which council Directorate ?  Emergency delegated power 'Actions' are reported to elected Councillors, allegedly .....   Minuted ?   Questioned ? Mad 

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 am

teamplayer2 wrote: The politics in Rochdale has gone like most of the country. Greed, sound bites, personalities and political correctness, Where have the real politics gone?
Have we ever had real politics in Rochdale?  I think the issues in Rochdale are beyond petty finger pointing , mud slinging and tale telling and local politics spin doctoring out of control.  More interested in that than actually helping the very people they serve. .  Its a breakdown in the establishment.  Such as the utter failings in the child abuse case to name but one serious issue.  I am of the thinking that Rochdale needs to be put under outside control- ie Central Goverment- and sorting out from top to tail. History of the past year has proven on the whole all Parties are guilty of letting Rochdale going to the dogs.  Its one thing stamping their feet and banging their chests over a shopping centre.  Another thing all told when sex gangs are allowed to roam and attack at will and the very people tasked with looking after children have utterly failed.

So you can fully understand that I have 0% faith in RMBC.  If I have any issues I will try and fix them myself and only involved RMBC as an utter last resort.  Bottom line is, i dont want to live in Rochdale anymore and be subjected to the pathetic actions and descisions by so called bosses and leaders who are only interested in feathering their own nests and being allowed to get away with metaphorical blue murder without any fear of reprisals or action taken against them.

So i am utterly sick and tired of the same old dirge and excuses being recycled.

So I'm doing something about it.

Instead of talking about it.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:12 pm

I have tried to do something. All I got was silly name calling, petty childish ignorance and dodging. That was about care of the elderly in one case.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 am

teamplayer2 wrote:I have tried to do something. All I got was silly name calling, petty childish ignorance and dodging. That was about care of the elderly in one case.
I am sorry to hear you got that response.  I trust all so you never gave up?There are many many other ways of getting a solution other than going through the usual suspects.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 am

Chill37 I have blown the whistle when I have seen wrong doing in care. Though the whistle blowing policies are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Funny side about it I have also blown a whistle on a thief working in care. The manager who thank me for revealing and investigated the person who committed the crime, a few years later the same manager was in the paper being convicted from stealing a substantial amount of money from the same charity we both worked for. I thought the manager was a bit dodgy, but never thought that dodgy. The same manager has now been struck off for ever holding a position in care again. Though on the occasions I have blown the whistle I felt as though I was the guilty! Very odd. Though I suppose that is life.Rolling Eyes 
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:02 am

Did anyone see the news report on tv at the weekend with our local MP asking what has happened in Rochdale in the last 12 months to merit such large pay rises

Then Councillor Lambert coming on to defend the pay rise and saying how much in other councils managers get paid. I get the feeling Councillor Lambert is determined to push the rise through but waiting for things to quieten down a bit. Might he just reflect a bit that perhaps other leaders of other councils should have had to take a pay cut like other workers had to due to cutbacks in the services and job losses. Sorry Councillor Lambert you seem very much out of touch with the feelings of the people over the issue and the democratic principles of other Councillors who appear to be against it. Which appears to be the majority in this case.

It appears this is now a personal crusade to push the pay rise through than listening to the voters and Councillors of Rochdale who want a vote on this in a democratic way.

We must make sure that this story is not forgotten and let Councillor Lambert know that we still do not accept it. This after when they have had another news story that a further cuts of over £60 million is needed.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:07 am

You should make note and dump every single councillor who didn't vote against it at your next local election.
If you do nothing other than moan on here NOTHING will ever change.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next