Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Positive about Rochdale

+6
Hinch
Irishman
Atlas
cyfrifia
Jeanie
teamplayer2
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Positive about Rochdale Empty Positive about Rochdale

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

See in in the local paper today that people should be positive about Rochdale.

May be so but with certain councillors telling us that there are some big name businesses and retailers out there wanting to come to fill the shops at the new shopping area and find out there is no one as reported.

Losing most of our local services due to cutbacks

All the scandals being reported on the sex offences I am finding it very hard to be positive about Rochdale at this time. A lot of nice areas and people in Rochdale but it is overwhelming to be positive at this time.

Makes me feel I want to get away from Rochdale at the moment and dare not say I am from Rochdale if I am out of the town.

How does anyone else feel? Embarassed scratch
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Positive about Rochdale Empty Re: Positive about Rochdale

Post  Jeanie Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Pretty much the same as you at the present time is the general feeling ! Which is so sad but it doesn't help that the MP has nothing good to say about Rochdale all we read or see on TV is him running the town down and he can't even agree with the leader of the council his own party so what chance have the rest of us !
He just seems on a roll to make a name for himself regardless of who he puts down but what is he doing about any of it ?
NOTHING Mad
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 am

The happiest people in the UK live in the Outer Hebrides. king queen

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:46 am

No they don't cyfrifia. They live in my village. Welshmen are never happier than when they are depressed. Utter rubbish that them Hebridians are happiest. Cock and haggis story put out by them there Scots Nats. You have to watch them Nats - dodgy people. As for you teamplayer2 - try smiling and get it over with. It will take forever to get out of this recession if we rely on you and yours.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:40 am

Seems to me we are no worse off than many towns up and down the country, I'd rather live here than some London boroughs full stop! trust me I've seen them. santa

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I agree Irish. Have relatives who live in Tower Hamlets and some in Bermondsey. I wouldn't kennel my dog there. As for Peckham...

Some fab parts in London. Hammersmith, Highgate, Chiswick spring to mind but there are some parts that make Rochdale look like Monte Carlo.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Some people only ever want to be negative. Positive things are understated, negative things overstated. Some will never be happy as by nature they are miserable people. There a lot of horrible, bad people in Rochdale, the majority though are gode and decent.

There is a lot of bad things happening in Rochdale, but there is plenty of good too, but the local media usually highlights the negative, and so people think all is bad. Similarly people on here often only highlight the negative of the place.

A lot what is wrong in people's lives, would be just as bad, maybe even worse wherever they lived. If someone is so unhappy with the town, then move, see if the grass is greener on the other side, it might not be. If you don't live here, then don't come here if it's that bad here.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Simon Danczuk, has called on TV companies to exercise some common sense and refuse to commission what he calls a truly insulting proposed TV programme called ‘Rochdale: A Place in the Slum’. Attempting to make a humorous pun on Channel 4’s 'A Place in the Sun'.

http://www.simondanczuk.com/mackenzie-condemned

There is no date on this Danczuk page, looks like old news. sunny Things. Can only get better.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:55 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Some people only ever want to be negative. Positive things are understated, negative things overstated. Some will never be happy as by nature they are miserable people. There a lot of horrible, bad people in Rochdale, the majority though are gode and decent.

There is a lot of bad things happening in Rochdale, but there is plenty of good too, but the local media usually highlights the negative, and so people think all is bad. Similarly people on here often only highlight the negative of the place.

A lot what is wrong in people's lives, would be just as bad, maybe even worse wherever they lived. If someone is so unhappy with the town, then move, see if the grass is greener on the other side, it might not be. If you don't live here, then don't come here if it's that bad here.

I've always said bad news seems to get published at a drop of a hat about Rochdale. But very little good news (other than the usual outlets) its like Rochdale is a by word for everything bad that goes on. To which 'Trolls' are all to eager to spout and captailise on. I go on other news forums and the amount of bile that is spouted at any given chance. I challenge them with comments like 'why are you still here if you hate that much' or 'what do you suggest' when Trolls kick off against the latest opening of busineses they go really quiet.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:38 pm

cyfrifia wrote:Simon Danczuk, has called on TV companies to exercise some common sense and refuse to commission what he calls a truly insulting proposed TV programme called ‘Rochdale: A Place in the Slum’. Attempting to make a humorous pun on Channel 4’s 'A Place in the Sun'.

There is no date on this Danczuk page, looks like old news. sunny Things. Can only get better.

That's the kind of dire crap that you would expect from Kelvin McKenzie a man who would have been good as Hitler's spin doctor.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Chill37 wrote:
UP THE DALE wrote:Some people only ever want to be negative. Positive things are understated, negative things overstated. Some will never be happy as by nature they are miserable people. There a lot of horrible, bad people in Rochdale, the majority though are gode and decent.

I've always said bad news seems to get published at a drop of a hat about Rochdale. But very little good news (other than the usual outlets) its like Rochdale is a by word for everything bad that goes on. To which 'Trolls' are all to eager to spout and captailise on. I go on other news forums and the amount of bile that is spouted at any given chance. I challenge them with comments like 'why are you still here if you hate that much' or 'what do you suggest' when Trolls kick off against the latest opening of busineses they go really quiet.

Absolutely, Chill. Looking at RO's news page, there are many decent good news stories about the town and it's people, but many on here or in the national media concentrate on the bad stuff.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

[quote="UP THE DALE"
Absolutely, Chill. Looking at RO's news page, there are many decent good news stories about the town and it's people, but many on here or in the national media concentrate on the bad stuff.[/quote]

This site doesn't have a news feature, this is not a news site, this is a forum set up by members... it was never meant to be a news site nor take the place of such as RO or any other news site, it is plainly and simply a forum for peoples opinions!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I KNOW this site does not have a news feature. I was talking about RO- Rochdale On-line news. At no stage did I say this site had a news feature.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Hinch wrote:I agree Irish. Have relatives who live in Tower Hamlets and some in Bermondsey. I wouldn't kennel my dog there. As for Peckham...

Some fab parts in London. Hammersmith, Highgate, Chiswick spring to mind but there are some parts that make Rochdale look like Monte Carlo.
My eldest son lives on the Hammersmith/Acton border in what is regarded as a good area of London to live in, but I would still much rather live here in Rochdale.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 pm

[quote="UP THE DALE"][quote="cyfrifia"]Simon Danczuk, has called on TV companies to exercise some common sense and refuse to commission what he calls a truly insulting proposed TV programme called ‘Rochdale: A Place in the Slum’. Attempting to make a humorous pun on Channel 4’s 'A Place in the Sun'.

But can you blame them all Simon Danczuk has done is to run this town down he can't work with anybody least of all his own party to bring a positive attitude for this once proud town!
Never in my life have I met an MP so picky & choosy who he speaks to no wonder this town has such a bad reputation Embarassed
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

At the latest cabinet meeting at the Town Hall Council Leader, Councillor Colin Lambert said: "Abuse in Rochdale is not just a local issue, it is a national disgrace."

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/75480/abuse-is-a-national-disgrace-says-council-leader

Not quite sure what he means by that. Does he mean Rochdale is no worse than a lot of other places for child rape? Or, does he mean Rochdale is a national disgrace?

Either way, it's not as positive as we might like. A stirring speech setting out the determination in the town to prevent any re-occurrance of this type of offence would be appropriate and reassuring.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Unless he (Cllr Lambert ) is referring to other child abuse cases happening in other parts of the UK.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:17 pm

It seams to be he means that it is a National problem and that it is a disgrace, which it is-a national disgrace. How do you suggest ANY council can prevent sex crimes? If Cllr Lambert made such a stirring speech people would criticise him for being too optimistic, and would not believe he could deliver-which no council could. The ONLY council leader type that could deliver such promises is Boris Johnson as he has some control over policing, ordinary council leaders don't.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:How do you suggest ANY council can prevent sex crimes?

I will leave that as an open question.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:Some people only ever want to be negative. Positive things are understated, negative things overstated. Some will never be happy as by nature they are miserable people. There a lot of horrible, bad people in Rochdale, the majority though are good and decent.

Shoot the messenger eh?

Well, I work in the media, covering mainly politics and health and although there is some good things happening in these areas, much of it is poor.

RMBC have a Media Team and a Tourist Dept to publicise the good bits but of course they ignore anything bad.

I spend a lot of time in Rochdale talking to people and very much of what they tell me is negative; few jobs, low wages, extremely poor shopping area, crap market, squabbling, self-interested council, massive cuts to vital services etc.

I have no remit whatsoever to speak for the organisation I work for but as a reader, events are very well covered and are almost entirely positive, there has been a lot of good news re the river-reopening, Metro etc and these have been covered in a positive way on the whole.

The new shopping centre COULD be a good-news story but whose idea was it to tell us that there were big name retailers coming and then decline to name them? Far better to have said nothing or communicate it in a way to attract less ridicule.

The local paper reported very few of the Cyril Smith allegations or the Alderglen 'bonded-labour' story at the time and it was left to an underground paper - RAP to break the details. Should they have done so or was it a 'bad news story' that was rightly spiked?

The duty of the media is to report the bad aqs well as the good and loooking at it very objectively, few woiuld disagree that the bad stuff in Rochdale at the moment has a major impact on people's daily lives.

How should the Feelgood Festival have been written up? Clearly a lot of people enjoyed it and had a great time. There were photos and coverage of this. Others believed that it was a luxury we really can't afford at a time when vital services are being cut and things are so bad that a Food Bank is opening up in our wonderful town centre.

How do you report all that? You have to try to cover it all.

As for what people come on here to talk about; it's YOUR forum so its up to you.

By ignoring the bad, it leads people to believe that all is well in the town. It isn't and we all know it... apart from RMBC's Media Team perhaps.

Last edited by Hinch on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:43 pm

I have shot no messenger, though might be tempted with some doom and gloom types.

I also mentioned the fact that the On-line media source of the town had many examples of good things.

You quoted one of my posts but in that I stated the fact that SOME on here only ever mention the bad things of the town. No one needs to tell me the problems of the town, but what I would like to know is the good things as well, very rarely get from people on here.

I for one have never ignored the bad of the town, impossible to do. Maybe I should ignore the bad stuff, might do me some good.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Well, I admit to having a love-hate relationship with the place and left it in 1975 as it seemed to offer far too few opportunities.

I have mixed opinions. The good bits draw me back but I see far too many bits that I don't like and I would never choose to live there again.

I look forward to the river re-opening and the Metro coming in plus the new shopping centre but I fear that all of the town's problems will not be solved by them. Unemployment, poor health, reduced life-expectancy are massive issues across the whole of the North West and there are cultural and economic divisions that have been allowed to fester for far too long together with a failure of politics to either understand the issues or deal with them.

Yes, the media nationally do seem to use Rochdale as a convenient metaphor on which to hang their bad news stories but only because we seem to have so many of them in the one place.

I'm amazed that the Daily Mail hasn't opened an office here. God knows there's no shortage of boarded-up premises.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I live here and I have a love hate relationship!

I went to pick up my prescription in town (no, not the methadone). Never have I had such a depressing experience as the empty shops, the endless charity shops and the total lack of spirit.

Tell me - with retail occupancy as low as it is, why do the managers of Rochdale think we need another chopping precinct? There is enough empty for them all to open up in empty units and still have space to spare.

Come to think of it, which genius thinks that people will come to marvel at the newly opened river? it is on a par with going to watch the traffic lights change in Bacup.

So seeking for further amusement... we went to Comet this afternoon - the oven is about to die and this seems a decent opportunity. So, why has Comet gone to the wall?

The answer is there are too many of them. Comet did for the high street retailers by having warehouses that undercut, with lots of available stock a reasonable drive from most people in a centre. Rochdale had a Comet from the early 70s and people travelled from all over North Manchester because it was cheaper than the high street and we discovered you DIDN'T need the 'expert' touch of the retailer. Then, they expanded the sites, so there are two major sites within 10minutes drive. BUT... you don't hold much stock at the shop, it gets delivered from central warehouses. You end up where you were when Comet started to grow - a shop on every high street with no stock - and the internet retailers taking the place of the box stackers. It's poetic justice really.

johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Within 10 years the town centres will go altogether everywhere, they will be buying from supermarkets and online; having it all delivered. Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next