Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations to the Royal Couple.

+10
Atlas
Dalelad
Spartacus
Ann M
Jeanie
Irishman
Poppyanna555
cyfrifia
UP THE DALE
Chill37
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Empty Reply with quote Re: Congratulations to the Royal Couple.

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:20 pm

I am mortified!! what a terrible ending to a stupid joke, these two pranksters will now have to live with the consequences of their juvenile behaviour and it is a very hard lesson to learn. Evil or Very Mad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations to the Royal Couple.

Post  Charly Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Hinch wrote:Oh my God! I wish I'd have been her trade union rep. I'd have got her off with a verbal or perhaps a 1st written warning.

Apparently the hospital was supporting her
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations to the Royal Couple.

Post  Charly Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Hang on a minute...this wasn't the nurse who gave the information...this is the nurse who put the call through to the ward, thats very strange! Why would you kill yourself for being the one who put a call through?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Dj_thumb_450x252
The tricksters, Michael Christian and Mel Greig from Australian radio station 2Day FM.

Australians have a brilliant sense of humour, if these two receive trick phone calls every day of their lives from now on, especially if they go into hospital, they will think it's a real hoot.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 pm

These two people made a prank call, how many of us have done the same (holding my hands up here) who, in their wildest dreams, would have thought something like this would happen?
It wasn't as though they got any intimate details (and what if they did anyway?) you cant blame them for the extreme action taken by this nurse.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Perhaps the Australians haven't had the scandal with media intrusion there has been in the UK. But even so, ringing up the hospital like that is a pretty mean trick. They should get some comeback from it, enough to make them understand the implications.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 pm

cyfrifia wrote: They should get some comeback from it, enough to make them understand the implications.

Like what?
Beware if you make a prank call or play a joke on someone, the person on the other end of the prank may just commit suicide?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:44 am

Charley wrote:
cyfrifia wrote: They should get some comeback from it, enough to make them understand the implications.

Like what?
Beware if you make a prank call or play a joke on someone, the person on the other end of the prank may just commit suicide?

Whilst I have to agree with your sentiments Charley this was obviously the last nail in this poor womans coffin. There may well be many other reasons behind her final action but sometimes one final push is all that is needed.
Some people take their loyalty and duty far beyond that which others may consider fitting or appropriate. Who can say. I do however (as in a previous post ref - pranks) caution that what may seem as innocuous fun to one may be traumatic for others. That's all. Sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 am

Steve Penk does some cracking telephone wind-ups on his show on Revolution radio, does this mean it will all have to stop ?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 am

Even in the world of pranks, there are certain lines that should not be crossed, such as ringing up a hospital, speaking to a nurse and impersonating a relative. If people cross that line and things go wrong, they have to accept there will be consequences.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Empty Reply with quote Re: Congratulations to the Royal Couple.

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 pm

This act wasn't funny in my eyes, it was intrusive, thoughtless and very very juvenile. I am not devoid of a sense of humour but in my mind, this went one step too far.

As Atlas pointed out though, this act may not have been the full reason for this lady to have taken her own life but (as he indicated) could well have been the last straw that broke the camel's back. They must have known that, if successful in gleaning any sort of information from the hospital, some poor soul would become the victim and left to face the music. Sad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Poppyanna555 wrote: They must have known that, if successful in gleaning any sort of information from the hospital, some poor soul would become the victim and left to face the music. Sad

But neither of the nurses were in any sort of trouble about it, the hospital was supporting them!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

But the DJ's didn't know that Charly.

A prank is fine but you should steer well clear of hospitals and possible medical confidentiality issues. They weren't bad; just thoughtless and it ended in the worst possible way.

For the sake of two minutes radio 'fun-entertainment' a person has died.

They should have known that had the prank worked, some poor member of staff might get into deep trouble over it. That was very easily forseeable.

As for the hospital supporting her. That's as maybe. Now the woman is dead they can hardly say anything else but I have represented loads of staff who have been in threat of losing their jobs over breaches of confidentiality.

I quite like these radio pranks but they should just be for fun and not set out to cause great personal distress whether intentional or not.

I don't think the DJ's should be sacked over this but I do hope it's a lesson learned; albeit at great cost.

Last edited by Hinch on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

It was just hard cheese for the 'pranksters' what they were doing was for the money, inane and irresponsible, stupid people do stupid things, sometimes that has unpleasant consequences.

I've just had a look at the radio station website, it's the most awful cheesy trash you can imagine, still complete with some old photos of Kate Middleton having 'wardrobe malfunctions', in this 'photo gallery'
http://www.2dayfm.com.au/the-dirt/galleries/wardrobe-malfunctions/

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am

What is a prank to some may be hell for other people. I must admit a prank was pulled on me but also my confidentiality was also broken through it. This happened a long time ago and I did laugh at the time. Though it only dawned on me later that someone had broken my confidentialty which is then becomes less funny. The person who passed on certain information was in a position of responsibily but not serious enough to complain but a slight ticking off from me as to speak.

Though you do have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes as I have pulled pranks myself in the past so expect to take it back if you do it yourself as people say.

At the end of the day the lady who has lost her life through it all may have had other issues that is not known about or may never be known about.

Though the prank was played at the hospital and no one knew what the condition of was of the Duchess at the time. What was the radio station managers thinking at the time for them to allow a prank like this. Hopitals should be no go areas for pranks like this because no one knows how serious the patient is at the time.

Also is the Radio Station in trouble with the law in anyway due to breaking of confidentiality of all concerned before seeking permission from the hospital or patient concerned?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 am

The pranksters are now being kept in the underground bunker in Australia where 'Prisoner cell block H' was made, and forced to apologise by radio station executives poking them with sharp sticks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPwh5-uSERk

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

Whilst I have every sympathy for the family of the nurse who apparently killed herself, I think the media have gone a bit overboard. As other posters on here point out, pranks calls are part of todays entertainment. Grahem Norton used to phone all sorts of public and private figures and poke fun at them. I agree with the poster who made the point that the poor girl possibly had a lot of other stress too. After all, all she did was put the call through and the hospital were not taking action over it. The DJs did not expect to get past the first hurdle, let alone be taken seriously and to my knowledge havent made public whatever details they got from the second nurse.I am sure they were really shocked to learn of the demise of the poor nurse, but is it really right to blame them? I think not. I expect guns blazing from some corners, but I cannot see that the DJs actions are solely to blame, and the media have just found a story to fill their front pages.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:02 am

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Article-2246112-1670648B000005DC-963_634x286
The 'apology' of the Australian DJs shows them as shallow and silly. No surprises there.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:32 am

At last! someone sees it as I do, thanks SB.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am

cyfrifia wrote:Congratulations to the Royal Couple. - Page 2 Article-2246112-1670648B000005DC-963_634x286
The 'apology' of the Australian DJs shows them as shallow and silly. No surprises there.

All I see is an image of 2 people similar to any you might have in your family snapshot album, how do you see them as shallow and silly?
The girl might have been shedding a tear at a wedding and the man telling a child to behave?
Loads of possibilities to explain the image.
Any other captions for this photo?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:55 am

The "shallow and silly" is from watching and listening to the video. It's hardly remarkable these people would be shallow and silly, that's the sort of personality selected for and suited to that sort of light entertainment work. I don't blame them for being shallow and silly.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm

All that of course is just your opinion, I didn't realise that you would know what sort of a personality anyone would be by looking at a video, you could probably get a job as some sort of profiler
Can you tell what sort of personality anyone is by the things they write on a message board?
Would be interesting to get a run down on all the posters on here, some I know, some I dont..what can you tell me?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

It's just an opinion. Smile I looked at some of the photos and videos of these two on the radio website before they were taken down. They convincingly portray themselves as shallow, childish and silly, much as you might expect from celebrity gossip and silly pranks type radio station presenters. Under stress in the apology video they appear to be self obsessed, silly and foolish. Being like that is probably the best defence against any legal stuff that might come up against the radio station, so their bosses probably decided it would be a good idea to show the world with an apology video what silly, shallow people they were. I might be wrong. Very Happy

I will not attempt to mind read the personalities of people who post on here, except, I guess you are a generally tolerant and kind hearted type, but you draw the line and don't put up with any seriously bad behavior, Charly, am I wrong?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Problem is, you seem to state your opinion as fact. And to throw more coal on the fire I can say I'm relieved the nurse who died wasn't in charge of looking after any of my relatives as she seems to have been of unsound mind to do something like that whatever the reason
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Charly wrote:Problem is, you seem to state your opinion as fact.

Perhaps I do, too much. Most people do though don't they? Anyway, I'm interested to hear that, and will see if I can say what I want to without doing that so much. Well, I might, there is always room for doubt.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next