Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Trams are coming Salty!!

+12
Jeanie
Atlas
Old Regulator
anexium
mary ann
Spartacus
johnb
past it
Poppyanna555
Dalelad
teamplayer2
Chill37
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Trams are coming Salty!! Empty The Trams are coming Salty!!

Post  Chill37 Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm

At long last Frank the Trams are coming to Newhey /Rochdale!

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/77999/next-stop-rochdale

Very Happy

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

The Trams are coming Salty!! Empty Re: The Trams are coming Salty!!

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50 pm

The trams are coming. Though how long will it be before they are not running because there is a snowflake or a leaf on the tram line, or it is to cold for the trams to work.

It will be interesting to see what excuses will be used for the trams not to run at some stage.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Nice bit of positive thinking there TP.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Bumped into a couple of folk from Shaw at Hollingworth Lake last week, we were discussing the new tram line at Shaw and they both said "they don't work in the frost you know"....I thought they were joking but, possibly not.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:The trams are coming. Though how long will it be before they are not running because there is a snowflake or a leaf on the tram line, or it is to cold for the trams to work.

It will be interesting to see what excuses will be used for the trams not to run at some stage.

Well you will just have to wait and see. So you wont be using them then anytime soon I assume judging by your negative comments already even though its not running.

Personally I cant wait. I've watched the Newhey station being built from the comfort of my house. Been 3 plus years since we have had a connection to the outside world. I shall be on one of the first trams next Thursday (28/2/13) and my wife is all ready to get a season ticket. Judging by how packed the Tram leaving the nearest stop, Shaw,
a lot of people agree with me. I will be using it too at weekends instead of my car every so often. Or when I'm off out to Manchester. Don't have to worry about parking etc or being a designated driver.

Just a shame it wont be going to Middleton! Although I have heard that may happen one day. Perhaps take a spur off from Heaton Park and drop down into Middleton.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Whilst I doubt a major economic benefit to Rochdale from the tram there is no doubt that as a transport service to greater Manchester they have been a success. Millions of car journeys would otherwise have been made and notwithstanding "frost" they have proved to be very reliable.
I would like to see the line run through from Rochdale to Heywood and on to Bury which would complete the loop. I doubt it but here's hoping.
One thing common amongst the threads on this forum is that when a new venture in Rochdale is proposed there appears to be an overwhelming desire by some contributors to ensure that it fails. I don't understand why.

Last edited by past it on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : syntax)

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 pm

For Rochdalians, since once tram stop is outside Rochdale station and the other is in Manchester Victoria, what is the difference in fare?

By the way, the train takes between 15 and 20 minutes depending on stops. I believe the tram is somewhat slower.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 pm

I guess it depends where you live? I do not live close to a train station but the tram stop at Kingsway will be ideal for me, and certainly faster than the bus.
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 am

Yes Poppy it did happen one day that some trams had to stop because the weather was to cold. It was in the news late last year. It is great the trams are back on track and about time.

I was just commenting at the times they will not work and the daft excuses they come out with.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:27 am

johnb wrote:For Rochdalians, since once tram stop is outside Rochdale station and the other is in Manchester Victoria, what is the difference in fare?

By the way, the train takes between 15 and 20 minutes depending on stops. I believe the tram is somewhat slower.

Well when Im on the Tram on Thursday Im going to see how much time is at each stop to see if the time between certain stops (and all stops for that matter) is the 15-20 mins that you refer too.,

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Not been out for 3 years Chill37. Smile
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Not been out for 3 years Chill37. Smile

LOL

Of course. I meant on the train/tram line. I know they have done a lot , but it is delayed now. So roll on next week.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 pm

I agree with Past It. Let's have the trams here in Heywood.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Have they future plans to extend to Heywood?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  mary ann Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:36 pm

I have used the Metro from Bury since the day it began - at all times of day and season. The only time I have not been able to get on at my stop in Market Street was when there was a 'medical emergency' on board at the bus station. All I had to do to go to Eccles or Altrincham was to walk to Piccadilly or for Bury to walk to Victoria. The messages at the Market St stop were clear and the minor stoppage was only for about 30 mins - I know because I went and had a coffee rather than walk to Victoria. I can't wait for the service to run to the Airport!

mary ann
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Have they future plans to extend to Heywood?

There are no plans that I am aware of. I think it makes good sense to close the loop so to speak and connect with Bury. There are no major obstacles in the way as far as I can see.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm

If they could link up to Heywood Past It. It would help for Chill37 to get out a bit more. Cool pirat clown Smile
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:25 pm

past it wrote:

There are no plans that I am aware of. I think it makes good sense to close the loop so to speak and connect with Bury. There are no major obstacles in the way as far as I can see.

Apart from the obvious one they the line belongs to East Lancs Railway and must stay as a heavy rail line so that ELR maintain their link to the main line.

Also, the connection between Metrolink and ELR has had a brand spanking new shopping precinct built across it. I know this would not stop Rochdale, but I would hope they have more sense in Bury.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 pm

mary ann wrote:I have used the Metro from Bury since the day it began - at all times of day and season. The only time I have not been able to get on at my stop in Market Street was when there was a 'medical emergency' on board at the bus station. All I had to do to go to Eccles or Altrincham was to walk to Piccadilly or for Bury to walk to Victoria. The messages at the Market St stop were clear and the minor stoppage was only for about 30 mins - I know because I went and had a coffee rather than walk to Victoria. I can't wait for the service to run to the Airport!

I know what you mean. Only a few years left now. There is already track down on the route to the Airport.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm

johnb wrote:
past it wrote:

Apart from the obvious one they the line belongs to East Lancs Railway and must stay as a heavy rail line so that ELR maintain their link to the main line.

Also, the connection between Metrolink and ELR has had a brand spanking new shopping precinct built across it. I know this would not stop Rochdale, but I would hope they have more sense in Bury.

I wasn't thinking of the Metro using the ELR line. I would like to see a new track along the road between Rochdale Heywood and Bury. The ELR connection to Castleton most of which is owned by the ELR or more specifically RMBC needs to stay separate to enable a commuter line between Rawtenstall and Castleton.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Chill37 and Past It.

Mind you if they could come up with a plan to somehow link the trams with the ELR line or run beside it this could be a great for the area in the long term. How they would do it I do not know and best left to those in the know how.

Though your thinking is brilliant and a great idea. I wonder if more could take it on board for the future or would the planning and the finance be to great. It could be explored in more detail in the future and a more positive outlook for the area.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 pm

One solution is to use Rail Trams. These are trams that are more study and can run on main rail lines (unlike the current ones which run on track laid specially for them) this means its an easier to switch from City track to main line track. Could easily run along the exsiting line and then come off onto areas like Middleton and Heywood etc.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

They should get you in the planning department Chill37. Cool
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:They should get you in the planning department Chill37. Cool

I wont get in. I have common sense and willing to listen to all ideas, comments instead of slapping people down and pushing the application through.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Very true Chill37. Being undemocratic seems to be the way of Rochdale these days.

Anyway better not stray away from the subject of the trams.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next