Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Trams are coming Salty!!

+12
Jeanie
Atlas
Old Regulator
anexium
mary ann
Spartacus
johnb
past it
Poppyanna555
Dalelad
teamplayer2
Chill37
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Trams are coming Salty!! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Trams are coming Salty!!

Post  cyfrifia Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:49 am

How much did overcrowding contribute to this? Probably people who would have intervened couldn't see what was happening or get near.

Quote: "There were more than 200 people just in our carriage, it was so packed you couldn’t move."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/racist-thugs-beat-up-metrolink-1750381

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes, the trams are far too overcrowded, especially after a match I'm sure. The fact that no-one tried to help him is awful but, these football hooligans strike fear into all but the bravest. This gentleman was trying to calm these thugs down and paid dearly, disgusting!

I got on the bus from Accrington at Bacup last year, there were a group of football supporters at the back of the bus who insulted every individual that got on or off the bus (including making sexist jibes towards my 16 yrs old granddaughter). No-one intervened, many rolled their eyes and whispered between themselves but all were obviously intimidated by these louts. The saddest thing is that in this group were a family, man and wife/partner with 2 young kids and the eldest (about 9) mirrored their behaviour as he left the bus on Whitworth Road by dropping his track suit bottoms to display his rear end, there was never going to be any hope for them was there?! Sad
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Not a lot. That family probably thought they had had a great day out. Crying or Very sad

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 am

Ignorant scrotes bringing up more ignorant scrotes by the sounds of it. And you worry about some of our immigrants. Sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am

'Ignorant scrotes', pedophiles, sex groomers, drug dealers etc, etc are all a concern to me whilst they are roaming our streets, regardless of what country they were born in!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Striding Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:40 pm

There seem to be groups of feral kids hanging around, just looking for trouble, people to annoy, and things to vandalise, until late at night. There does seem to be a significant minority of the current generation that are out of control and seem set on a life of crime, destruction and anti-social behavior.

Back to the trams, Mrs. Striding got the tram last week to go to a training course in Rochdale, thinking that it would be quick and easy, only to find that the frequency seems to be about every 18 minutes, with no apparent timetable. As a result she was late back to work in the afternoon, and will drive next time. If the operators don't put the frequency up to the standard on the Bury line of every 6 minutes at peak time and every 12 off peak, then many others will try it once and be disappointed at the long waits, and be reluctant to ever try it again.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:15 am

There appears to be some consternation regarding the Drake Street 'removal'. From a purely calculating objective I would suggest that to be no bad thing. I seriously think that the Drake Street shopping experience of 'yesteryear' should not try to be resurrected as a potential economic attribute. Commonsense tells you that the 'shopping' experience has changed over the past twenty years to the large 'mall' and, more threateningly, 'on-line' which together with on-line door to door delivery puts the past experience for many of 'shopping on foot' a thing of the past. For those that like to 'browse' shops and have the health and time to do so I would suggest a much greater effort be put into the existing areas, i.e. Yorkshire St etc to encourage a more vibrant cosmopolitan and varied offering than is available at present. Small, compact with the addition of a two day out-door market on the pedestrianised/open river square to compliment is the way to go. Park and ride - street train would also be beneficial. - - - - Anybody got the guts out there in your council??
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Striding Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

There sound like some good ideas in there, but I can't see any major change in tack from the council at this stage.

On arrival at the metrolink station, the display of when the next trams were due were shown as being in 2 minutes and 20 minutes, and on the way back from Rochdale next tram was 16 minutes. Perhaps metrolink were having one of their (too-frequent) off days with technical problems, but it certainly didn't appear to be every 12 minutes.
Striding
Striding
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 am

Daughter and I decided on the spur of the moment to try the tram on Saturday afternoon. Wandered along to Kingsway Business Park about 4 ( less than 5 mins walk from home), got our tickets waited about 5 mins and boarded a clean, nearly empty carriage. It did fill up, but not uncomfortably. We dismounted about 25 mins later in Victoria. Easy peasy. We also sorted out via Android that this was probably the easiest and cheapest way for daughter to get to college in Sept. Decided to get the one home from out side Primark and Debenhams, again very short wait. Crowded at first, but soon emptied out. Back home by 8.30, having been converted. Perhaps my two large glasses of a great Chardonnay with our Sushi helped the ambience, but who cares!!!
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

Striding wrote:There sound like some good ideas in there, but I can't see any major change in tack from the council at this stage.

On arrival at the metrolink station, the display of when the next trams were due were shown as being in 2 minutes and 20 minutes, and on the way back from Rochdale next tram was 16 minutes. Perhaps metrolink were having one of their (too-frequent) off days with technical problems, but it certainly didn't appear to be every 12 minutes.

Funny you should mention the times. Ive been observing the timers on the display board. Lets just say Ive seen them counting down with increments of two -three minutes and the jump up in similar increments!

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 pm

It is all about the timing.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Me thinks its all down to the signal system which caused much delay and use of colourfull words over at Media City.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes, the trams are far too overcrowded, especially after a match I'm sure. The fact that no-one tried to help him is awful but, these football hooligans strike fear into all but the bravest. This gentleman was trying to calm these thugs down and paid dearly, disgusting!

Yes Poppy what gets me about these idiots how tough they are when they are in a gang. Yet on their own and most of them turn out to be cowards.
Though you would think more people would have done something to stop it or at least tried.

Just goes to show how frightened society is now stop such acts.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4