Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Care in 15 minutes.

+3
johnb
Chill37
teamplayer2
7 posters

Go down

Care in 15 minutes. Empty Care in 15 minutes.

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 am

Here we go in the media, all the concerns about people who need care only getting 15 minutes. When I worked in community care some years back, I tried to raise this with people in care and councillors. 15 minutes is just not good enough to give the care and time needed in a  lot of cases and also they try and include travel time, which was just silly at times.

I am afraid to say the people I tried to raise it with in all political parties did not want to know. So why the concerns now when this scandal has been happening for years?
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Care in 15 minutes. Empty Re: Care in 15 minutes.

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 am

teamplayer2 wrote:Here we go in the media, all the concerns about people who need care only getting 15 minutes. When I worked in community care some years back I tried to raise this with people in care and councillors. 15 minutes is just not good enough to give the care and time needed in a  lot of cases and also they try and include travel time, which was just silly at times.

I am afraid to say the people I tried to raise it with in all political parties did not want to know. So why the concerns now when this scandal has been happening for years?
I think I'm quite lucky then in getting over an hour a day.  Personally does the care you get come from the NHS or private.  In either case surely you should lobby the providers of the care and not with the Politcal parties.  Yes by all means contact your local Councillor, but direct all your concerns about care towards the provider, be it the NHS or private.  Thats what I did and I got results.  I only got local Cllrs involved at a period of time in my campaign to hurry things along and give me new avenues to explore.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  johnb Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

A person rading the original post would be forgiven for believing that all care visits were being reduced, unilaterally to 15 minutes maximum duration.  This is NOT what is happening.

I would totally agree that 15 minutes is an inadequate duration, but inaccurate and imprecise complaints help no-one.
johnb
johnb
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Chill37 wrote:   I think I'm quite lucky then in getting over an hour a day.  Personally does the care you get come from the NHS or private.  In either case surely you should lobby the providers of the care and not with the Politcal parties.  Yes by all means contact your local Councillor, but direct all your concerns about care towards the provider, be it the NHS or private.  Thats what I did and I got results.  I only got local Cllrs involved at a period of time in my campaign to hurry things along and give me new avenues to explore.

Chill37: This personal care is commissioned by the Adult Social Services departments of Councils / Local Authorities for frail, elderly and disabled people.

15-minute care visits too short, says charity: -

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/07/15-minute-care-visits-too-short-charity

Inc. ‘The survey, the largest and most detailed of its kind, received responses from 120 of the 152 county councils that pay for social care in England. The local authorities agreed to answer in part because the charity guaranteed that the responses from individual councils would be kept confidential Rolling Eyes    .

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Mojo Hill wrote:
Chill37 wrote:   I think I'm quite lucky then in getting over an hour a day.  Personally does the care you get come from the NHS or private.  In either case surely you should lobby the providers of the care and not with the Politcal parties.  Yes by all means contact your local Councillor, but direct all your concerns about care towards the provider, be it the NHS or private.  Thats what I did and I got results.  I only got local Cllrs involved at a period of time in my campaign to hurry things along and give me new avenues to explore.

This personal care is commissioned by the Adult Social Services departments of Councils / Local Authorities for frail, elderly and disabled people.

15-minute care visits too short, says charity: -

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/07/15-minute-care-visits-too-short-charity

Inc. ‘The survey, the largest and most detailed of its kind, received responses from 120 of the 152 county councils that pay for social care in England.       The local authorities agreed to answer in part because the charity guaranteed that the responses from individual councils would be kept confidential Rolling Eyes    .

Thank you for that.  So am I right in saying for this to change, or for people to campaign against it, the Adult Social Services Department needs to be lobbyied and complained too directlly rather than indivdual Political Parties as per TeamPlayerss original post?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:31 pm

"Chill37 wrote: Thank you for that.  So am I right in saying for this to change, or for people to campaign against it, the Adult Social Services Department needs to be lobbied and complained to directly, rather than individual Political Parties, as per TeamPlayers's original post?  

The council's Director of Adult Services 'manages' this service and budget, reports to the council's Chief Executive, who in turn reports to the local Council and Leader of the Council, who represents a political party.Smile 

The Director / Adult Care Social Services furthermore commission approved care 'providers' who are, I've been told, monitored and quality checked by local council management.  

I don't think 'party-political lobbying' is out of place locally, or at any level, for Social Care services.
There's already a proposed amendment to the House of Lord's imminent debate on future legislation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm

My 87 year old Mums care has just  been cut approx 15 minutes a day, 5 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes in the evening, but her charges have just gone up from £50.40 to over £71 a week,  that is a £21 extra a week.  she hasn't had any changes to her care other than forced cutbacks and less much needed care & support Mad
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Well I hope I never need home care services..... £71 per week would be almost half my pension gone, how are you supposed to run a home and pay your bills with what's left over?...scary!! affraid
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 am

Mojo Hill wrote:"Chill37 wrote: Thank you for that.  So am I right in saying for this to change, or for people to campaign against it, the Adult Social Services Department needs to be lobbied and complained to directly, rather than individual Political Parties, as per TeamPlayers's original post?  

The council's Director of Adult Services 'manages' this service and budget, reports to the council's Chief Executive, who in turn reports to the local Council and Leader of the Council, who represents a political party.Smile 

The Director / Adult Care Social Services furthermore commission approved care 'providers' who are, I've been told, monitored and quality checked by local council management.  

I don't think 'party-political lobbying' is out of place locally, or at any level, for Social Care services.
There's already a proposed amendment to the House of Lord's imminent debate on future legislation.

Ah I was speaking out of experience.   When I Was having major issues in getting care for a family member, I sought assistance from Jean Ashworth on one part of the issue, and then as part of the other issue i went straight to the top.  I'm not saying Cllrs can't help, they can only write or speak on my behalf.  As time was of the essence, I just went straight to the top and cut out the middle men so to speak.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 am

Sorry Chill it is political seeing as thought the politicians allowed it to happen in the first place. With cut backs and allowing private companies to take over. It is being shown an interest by the government planning changes because there is more reports and complaints coming in by the local voters to their MPs and councillors.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Sorry Chill it is political seeing as thought the politicians allowed it to happen in the first place. With cut backs and allowing private companies to take over. It is being shown an interest by  the government planning changes because there is more reports and complaints coming in by the local voters to their MPs and councillors.
Well to be honest I have no complaints with the private care my family and I have had to hire.  I have had more issues with the public NHS and the people in charge and who work for Rochdale Social Services.  Yes your usual line of arguement that it is politics that have ruined it in the past. I have found by bitter bitter experience that apart from exceptional help from an ex-cllr from another ward in Rochdale, i have got no response from Cllrs but by going to those in charge of Social Services i got a lot more response. 

yes by all means i have wrote letters and emails to EVERY political party but I am not prepared to wait for a response, time is not on my familys side.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Fair enough Chill37.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:20 pm

As a nurse of over 30 years experience, you could give EXCELLENT care in 15 minutes if you were just popping in to a patient with appropriate mental and physical skills if you were just giving medication or an injection perhaps but patients like this are hard to find in a home care setting.

It's important to take at least 5-10 minutes to chat and check that they are OK.

Last edited by Hinch on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:19 am

Hinch wrote:As a nurse of our er 30 years experience, you could give EXCELLENT care in 15 minutes if you were just popping in to a patient with appropriate mental and physical skills if you were just giving medication or an injection perhaps but patients like this are hard to find in a home care setting.
It's important to take at least 5-10 minutes to chat and check that they are OK.
Yes it is Hinch.  I note that the carers we have got are always chatting away and engaging.  They dont just come in and do their job and go, its a lot more than that.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

You can learn a LOT in 10-15 minutes casual chat AND you see the patient on a regular basis. You notice subtle changes in condition that are not always picked up in the notes. That's why it is important to try to get continuity of care rather than someone different every day.

They are also likely to tell you little things about themselves that can make all the difference once you have built up a relationship.

You can also give a lot of reassurance over a seemingly casual chat and help to give people whose self-confidence has been shattered by illness and social isolation and help them to regain a sense of self-worth.

I'm good at this game, I should have been a nurse... oh... I forgot... I was.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 pm

An elderly lady of 88 with dementia was taken to a stranger’s house wearing only a flimsy nightdress and tucked up in his bed.

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/homerton_hospital_blunder_sees_dementia_patient_tucked_up_in_wrong_home_1_2865069

Please note, this is a news item and not a comedy sketch.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 am

No, I too have read this articla, on the same day as a historic breakthrough was annouced on Alzhiemers.

Utter disgrace this has happened.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Anyone seen the story how Jeanie and her mother has been hit with the cut backs in care and yet having to pay out more. Have a look. It is on Rochdale Online.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:41 am

teamplayer2 wrote:Anyone seen the story how Jeanie and her mother has been hit with the cut backs in care and yet having to pay out more. Have a look. It is on Rochdale Online.
Yes and I fully sympathise as I am in the exact same situation.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Chill37 wrote:
teamplayer2 wrote:Anyone seen the story how Jeanie and her mother has been hit with the cut backs in care and yet having to pay out more. Have a look. It is on Rochdale Online.
Yes and I fully sympathise as I am in the exact same situation.
It is dreadful I really feel for those who have nobody and I know there are many many elderly people out there suffering through these cuts it is disgraceful they should feel ashamed .
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Care in the community can work but only when it is properly funded and staffed with caring, fully trained, committed staff given adequate time to do their job. Unfortunately, the meaning of the word 'care' has changed and is just another commodity to be bought and sold on the market place to the lowest bidder.

Organisations such as NICE and the CQC are often systems-focused with the emphasis on statistical data and box-ticking rather on matching quality care to individual patients or 'service-users' as they are now known.

Jeanie's mother, to all intents and purposes is a dot on a graph or a piece of data rather than a living, breathing human being.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm

When I worked in Community Care I use to get upset about the amount of time we were allowed. I tried to bring this up with a few Councillors a few years ago. They were not interested. Though like the Government they set the rules.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down