Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Danczukian mysteries

3 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

The Danczukian mysteries - Page 6 Empty Re: The Danczukian mysteries

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 am

Sing-along with Simon
Razz "Up-lift my expenses"
To the tune of 'Annies song'.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

T'is all a hollow sham -.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Is that Cool gangsta rap? I don't know that one.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm

A line from 'Rising Damp'. Sit-com 1980's. Razz Razz Razz Razz
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:24 am

Some may think of 'Rising Damp' as an outdated and irrelevant television sitcom. Others may consider it a valuable part of our cultural heritage.

Series 3, Episode 6 Rigsby and Miss Jones discuss changes in the course of young love since their youth
Ruth: "Just because they're taking the pill, Mr Rigsby, it doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong. It's a precaution - after all, you pay fire insurance but you don't expect the house to burn down."
Rigsby: "Yes, but you are supposed to try and extinguish the blaze, Miss Jones - not lie back and enjoy it."

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Indeed. One of the best of the classics and always watch-able. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Mr. Danczuk seems to think begging, shoplifting and anti-social behavior are the problem in Rochdale town centre.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mp-simon-danczuk-branded-heartless-12452531

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Run-down and dilapidated areas always attract the dispossessed and unfortunate. Especially if that area draws semi-affluent people to it - as does a town centre which is supposed to be vibrant and interesting. The problems of Rochdale stem mainly from uncaring town officials in the 'job' for the money and kudos instead of the originally intended reasons. Too many unqualified and inexperienced and politicised officials will spoil anything - given enough time. Internecine squabbling takes up too much of their time with 'positioning' being everything. Rochdale hasn't produced a decent body of local officials in the last 30 years and the way it is now situated it never will. Evil or Very Mad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Looks that way. You know Rochdale of old, was there ever any sense of hope or optimism there?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Great hopes after the war. The community spirit still existed well into the 1960's which in the main was due to need and want, the communities wanted a better life than before and the town needed lots of new housing and health centres. These were provided through the Labour Government of the post war period as can be seen by the 1950's social housing estates dotted about the place and the now defunct health centres on Bailee Street, Smith Street, Whitehall Street and Manchester Road etc etc etc. I knew most of them (being a problem to the old lady for the first 7 years).
Then of course came the reckoning when it all had to be paid for (with borrowings) and the austerity of the war and the decade following which until the early 60's was worse than it is today (in relative terms). In the 60's 'we never had it so good' - true - and we've never had it as good ever since.
The local councillors, mainly Labour of course, tagged onto the re-building but surprisingly following Churchill's reinstatement the town went Conservative - - -it didn't last long. The demise of the cotton industry hit very badly in the 60's and there was nothing to replace it. Immigration had taken up the 'slack' during the 60's and only added to the problems once the industry had finally collapsed. In days gone by the local dignitaries themselves provided the 'work' by building their own factories and housing. Local councillors of the modern day don't do such things. The last one's to do so (and I know it hurts) was the Smith Brothers both of whom are now dead. It was a closer more tight-knit community and almost everyone was in the same boat. All that has gone. Today the pride of the town has gone and with it any viable future. I can't see that changing in a hurry.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 am

A concise, relevant, informative and poignant account there, Atlas.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Yes. I'm a sneaky little know-all am i not. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 am

Yes, if you were writing on a subject that caught the interest of the general reader, it could be quite 'readable'. As is, has those positive qualities, but lacks the perhaps elusive quality of 'readability'. The readers eye scans text very quickly and perhaps needs 'key words' or phrases to catch attention. Could you fit ample assets, celebrity scandal or pert derriere in there somewhere ? Otherwise spot on.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 pm

It would then read like my books already published but with less a 'personal' touch - as the books were autobiographical. I write to 'inform' as opposed to simply 'titillate and amuse'. An historical account of Rochdale through the ages, whilst interesting to me, would I fear be less so to most of the outside world who would have difficulty acquainting or being empathetic to the subject. My books were only ever intended for Northerners to read - as most southerners wouldn't understand them.Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6