Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled parking Rochdale-style

+7
debutante
teamplayer2
johnb
Striding
Admin
southernbelle
Hinch
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style - Page 2 Empty Re: Disabled parking Rochdale-style

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Perhaps I am being a tad naive UTD to expect a little more tolerence and understanding from those who not only have disability within their own family but who also work in healthcare.

How wrong am I!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Disabled parking Rochdale-style - Page 2 Empty Re: Disabled parking Rochdale-style

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Like I said Hinch I am only having a go at those minority who make false claims and seem to get a way with it until they are caught. You woulld not think my wife has a disability but she does. When I had an old Orange disabled Badge for my car for my wife and when she started to improve then at the time we decided to return the Orange Badge.. Someone offerd to buy it from me. I told them where to go and was quite shocked. I told them at the office I was returning it to and they did tell me there was a market for it and people willing to buy one for all the wrong reasons. I would not think the then Orange Badge scheme would be of such value for an underground market scheme but there was.

I was driving a vehicle for people with a disabilty and using wheelchairs and had a disabled badge for the vehicle and it was really annoying when you could not park in the disabled spots due to abled bodied drivers who parked there just to go to a bank till for instance. Also not displaying they were disabled and and turned out they should not have parked there. Or when you did park in the street and dispite a sign on the back of the vehicle to leave room, some silly person would park near the vehicle when you got back, not leaving enough room for you to get your passengers on who have to use wheelchairs or use the lift at the back to get on the vehicle if they had difficulty walking and could not use the steps to get onto the vehicle.

If my memory serves me right they had a clamp down once in Manchester and one person who was caught who should not have had a Blue Disable Badge for the car, turned out to be a Bank Manager. She got the blue Disabled Badge from someone so that they would not have to pay the parking charges in Manchester. They got fined in court ending up with a criminal record along with others who were caught during the clamp down.

There are lots of people out there who do not appear to have a disability and have a blue badge for their vehicle for the right reasons, but there are people out there who do make false claims and are spoiling it for the majority who have a valid right to use a blue badge.

Like I said before I am having a go at the people who should not park in the disabled areas and those who make false claims and commit fraud to claim a disabled badge and other benefit claims. Also when they do get caught they are dealt with by the courts and end up with a criminal record.

I think they should have a clamp down on the people who park in areas at the bottom of Yorkshire Street who do not have a valid reason to park there in the disabled spots and not displaying a blue badge and stopping people who have a right to park in disabled parking areas. Then now and again they should have a check like they did in Manchester a few years ago and I bet they would catch one or two now and again who should not have a blue badge and clamp down on the abled bodied drivers who should not take these valuable places up.

Anyway have to go and wash up now because my wife is unable to at the moment. Also I would like to go and work with the elderly again that I use to do and was a very rewarding job, but had to stop because of my wife illnesses in the last few years. But getting there again slowly.

Last edited by teamplayer2 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Just checking)
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Your tone has changed so much from your earlier post that I might be forgiven for thinking that it was written by a totally different person! Let me remind you of your earlier contribution in which you claim to be able to spot fraud at a glance because, as you said, they have "no obvious sign of a disability".

teamplayer2 wrote:
Also in some cases people who look capable and no obvious sign of a disability or anyone with them, with a blue badge in the car, but carrying loads of shoppings bags and walking quite a distance depending where they are parked. So obvious to me that they are misusing the blue badge or get them through fraud.

It is quite fantastic really that no proper action has been taken by the police, parking wardens and the council over such blatant use of the blue badge for disabled drivers.

Not just a few either.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Hinch

It was me and my wife noticed in one case and something we saw in an ASDA car park last year. Like I said it is those who make false claims and get away with it but can also be seen to get away with it.

My better half was turned down for a benefit last year and it is the the people who are so blatant with it that winds us up. I could not make such false claims to try and claim benefit and I would not even win an oscar trying. It is those who getaway with it until they are caught is beyond my understanding. Like Charly mentioned in one post doing work most of the time and then having a walking stick on being checked.

I know someone who retired early due to illhealth one week getting benefits and a pension from work. Then cllimbing on a roof and doing other heavy work the following week and was seen to be doing work for others for pay. I do not know if this is still the case but was noticed by others.

These are the people who spoil it for the genuine claiments and the media coverage you see.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am

There is no reason why someone on pension cannot work if he or she is up to it and if they also get DLA then this is paid to help with mobility issues etc and does not mean that they are total invalids.

For tax reasons, you have to watch how many hours you work and how much you earn. If they retired on ill health it simply means that they were not judged medically fit to do their existing job and it was not possible to redeploy them.

Now, if they were also on Incapacity Benefit there could be an issue.

As said, I am not saying that there are not people who take the p*ss but it is far too easy to be judgemental about these things without being in possession of all the facts.

Some benefit-claiming disabled people even win medals for Britain at the Olympics you know. We are a broad church! If Mrs TP could not claim benefits, then it must be because she is not disabled... at least according to the DWP. Still, good to know that the system works after a fashion because the way it is portrayed sometimes is that it is far too easy to claim and anyone can get it.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2