Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 pm

That's fair enough Dalelad, I agree with what you say regarding be able to avoid a more obvious political thread. I think many threads get diverted in many ways from their original topic, and it can be frustrating when that happens. I suppose many of us are guilty of that. As an example many of the threads end up talking about the state of shops in Rochdale, or talking about how bad Rochdale is.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 am

UP THE DALE wrote:"Thread that generated most complaints is the Dolphin Killers one. Several of you complained it was somewhat obsessive but it is our 7th most visited thread. "
Simple solution to those who don't like the thread-don't read it. If I don't like a thread I don't read it-simple really. For all those who have complained about the thread, on the thread itself, and those complaining to admin, there are plenty who find it informative. Instead of complaining to admin, maybe spend the time starting or contributing to a thread you like, if there is one.

People complaining about political threads? If anything, in my opinion, there are not enough political threads considering all our lives are affected by politics in one way or another, but some just don't realise that. Perhaps they can start non political threads. There is no way there are too many political threads.

In general I honestly believe that some of the time when some people complain about posts, threads or posters they are complaining due to who is responsible for the post, or thread.

Regarding the child abuse threads, yes may there are too many different threads, maybe one can be on Smith, one on celebrity/politicians and general abuse cases, and one on abuse cases involving Rochdale.

As far as moderation/censorship of posts, this board seams to be moderated in the same way as the last forum.

Hogwash... mainly!

The moderation on this forum is substantially different to RO. We don't moderate grammar and puntuation, we allow external links and in-context expletives. If we have to pull or modify a post we routinely PM the poster explaining our reasons and if Mods have any queries re suspensions or any other matter, we always discuss it between ourselves first. In addition, we produce a newsletter every 3-4 weeks giving a report on recent moderation issues.

In your own case, we have tried to give you the 'heads-up' via PM. Only yesterday, another poster says that they rarely post now because of your likely 'in-your-face' reaction to anything they submit.

You are entitled to your views but posters complain that you stress them far more forcibly than necessary and turn even the lightest of threads into a political diatribe. Case in point: yesterday someone started a thread on the royal pregnancy. Obviously meant to be fairly light and congratulatory. 11 minutes later you posted another of your usual negative and confrontational responses, seemingly with no point in mind other than expounding your own political standpoint. Now believe me, I am no royalist but do you have to turn everything into a polemic in which it seems that the main objectives are as much to do with attacking or ridiculing other posters as much as outlining your own political views?

We are loath to suspend or ban anyone but it is getting to the point where we may have to consider whether or not giving you a platform to 'go off on one' at every possible opportunity is actually stifling debate, discussion and a touch of humour or light chat here and there. Perhaps you might be comfortable starting your own forum or joining one in which your style might be more welcome than many of the posters on here seem to find them?

And by the way, in case you think that there is some sort of right wing conspiracy going on here, sorry to deprive you of your martyrdom but the 7-8 posters who have so far PM'd me on the issue are a very broad church as far as their views and outlook goes.

To return to RO, I can assure you that you would probably have been banned by now as they were far less tolerant and it was important to their business to ensure that posters were encouraged to use the forum rather than be discouraged in case they were attacked on every subject under the sun.

You are not banned or suspended and your posts will not be edited or pulled unless we feel that there is no other choice. The rest is up to you.

Re your dolpin thread. You are absoutely right; if it doesn't interest people then they don't have to go on it. Likewise, if you don't give a toss about subjects that others are interested then perhaps you should resist the temptation to go on and try to provoke an argument? It's up to you.

Remember, most posters come on here for a bit of chat and relaxation rather than to change the world. They must be entitled to continue to do this otherwise they will start to leave.

That is something we will not allow to happen; even if it means blocking your account; something we have only done once and that in the case of an EDL member.

I actually enjoy many of your posts and like a genuine, heated debate now and then but I also come on here to relax and unwind and like most posters, wish to be allowed to continue to do so.

Have a nice day.


Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Please direct any complaint about abusive/offensive posts or any site and housekeeping issues to me at Admin
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 212
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Bodie

http://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Irishman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 am

Hey hey Admin, stealing my words now are we... Shocked Hogwash!

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Posts : 162
Join date : 2012-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 am

Irishman wrote:Hey hey Admin, stealing my words now are we... Shocked Hogwash!


Maybe you should trademark that word as one of your own Irish!! Very Happy

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Charly on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am

Stop beating about the bush Admin, say what you mean why dontcha? Laughing
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Seeing i was the one who brought up the Royal Baby- as I said i brought it up as it was a 'feel good' story . yes it may not be about Rochdale and its a UK event. Howver there are a lot of supporters of the Royal Family that I know who live in Rochdale who liked the story. Makes a change from the doom and gloom.

Nowt wrong in that in my books. If you do not like the Royals that is fine. But there are a lot of Royalists out there just look at the Jubilee and the masses of people who watched the events. Me and my family included.

Also what is wrong with going to the Mods when a member of the board feels they are not happy or uncomfatable with posts or a poster. That is what a Moderator is for. I should know this as Im a Moderator my self on a very large forum. I do get a few messages from members over posts. A quick PM or email can resolve things as a board member may not feel confident or happy in 'confronting' someone on the board, or a post gets misconstrued as it is very hard or nigh on impossible to convey emotion etc in text other than adding a smiley or SHOUTING So there is nothing wrong in asking for intervention or help in running to the head master as you put it.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Irishman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm

This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Posts : 162
Join date : 2012-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Irishman wrote:This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

Not often I agree with you Irish, but on this occasion I do agree.

The Royals do a lot for the UK. Not to mention the Commonwealth. You can clearly say they have had a re-surgent in the popularity stakes.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Irishman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Sorry for using your name in vain Chill Shocked Very Happy

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Posts : 162
Join date : 2012-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Charly wrote:
UP THE DALE wrote: .


As I understand this is a blog about Rochdale, but many threads have nothing to do with Rochdale,

Like the dolphin thread you mean? I suppose others you mention not about Rochdale do have something to do with Rochdale tax payers money though

Yes indeed. The dolphins thread is a thread that relates to whole planet, and is as legitimate as many other non Rochdale threads. Some non- Rochdale threads have something to do with Rochdale tax payers some don't. Point I made in a lengthy response to a lengthy post from Admin, was many posts are non Rochdale related, it does not matter it seams.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Irishman wrote:Sorry for using your name in vain Chill Shocked Very Happy

I forgive you! Very Happy cheers

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Chill37 wrote:Seeing i was the one who brought up the Royal Baby- as I said i brought it up as it was a 'feel good' story . yes it may not be about Rochdale and its a UK event. Howver there are a lot of supporters of the Royal Family that I know who live in Rochdale who liked the story. Makes a change from the doom and gloom.

Nowt wrong in that in my books. If you do not like the Royals that is fine. But there are a lot of Royalists out there just look at the Jubilee and the masses of people who watched the events. Me and my family included.

Also what is wrong with going to the Mods when a member of the board feels they are not happy or uncomfatable with posts or a poster. That is what a Moderator is for. I should know this as Im a Moderator my self on a very large forum. I do get a few messages from members over posts. A quick PM or email can resolve things as a board member may not feel confident or happy in 'confronting' someone on the board, or a post gets misconstrued as it is very hard or nigh on impossible to convey emotion etc in text other than adding a smiley or SHOUTING So there is nothing wrong in asking for intervention or help in running to the head master as you put it.

And quite right too, you had every right to bring up the matter. I never said anything against people who were supporting the thread. Me bringing my thoughts to the thread about them should not prevent others from supporting them, indeed others did come on to support them. There are a lot of Royals, but by the looks of things most people don't give a damn either way.

If I was to post a thread about wanting a republic, I would expect monarchists to write posts opposing a republic, and defending the monarchy.

Yes people have the right to go to the Mods or admin, but how can someone know that people are not happy regarding specific posts or threads if the poster does not get to know? Apparently some have complained about me, but I have not received anything to say so. People it appears are saying things about other posters without the other poster knowing what's being said about them.

Just to let you all know, I have not complained about any of you to admin, instead if I have an issue I raise it on the forum.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Irishman wrote:This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

I hope so. From the moment the child is born, the state will be spending loads of money on security and and all sorts.

They are here as long as the British people/parliament decide they still want them. It's all OPINION as to whether they bring more in than they cost. But my main reason for not having them is a democratic one. I believe in having an ELECTED head of state.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:57 pm

As you can clearly understand I cannot speak for the Mods on the site. But on my site, if a board member complains then yes I will send a PM/Email to the poster that a compalint has been made against and we start to bring a resolution about.

You say :

Just to let you all know, I have not complained about any of you to admin, instead if I have an issue I raise it on the forum

Im glad you feel confident hat you can raise any issues on this board. But as Ive said, some people dont feel happy in doing so. As straight away they are identified to the person they have issues against and, i have seeen this on my forum, they get picked on. So ergo they go through the Moderators as it is their job to maintain a happy enviroment and also to maintain clean threads and 'heated' debates without ruling with a rod of iron and stiffling debates nor allowing debates to go down hill and allow attacks to occur on a personal level. Well thats how I see my role as a Moderator. its a fine line to be honest. So any members with any issues can remain nameless and be secure in the fact something will be done be it a gentle word in the ear of the person in question and then have a gentlemanly handshake and never speak of it again. But the opposite end of the scale is a ban from the site. Like the Mods on this board have indicated in their role I've only ever banned two people in many many years as they were muppets and out to cause chaos.

So there is comparisions im my role and the Mods on the this boards.



Last edited by Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Chill37 wrote:
Irishman wrote:This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

Not often I agree with you Irish, but on this occasion I do agree.

The Royals do a lot for the UK. Not to mention the Commonwealth. You can clearly say they have had a re-surgent in the popularity stakes.

That's your opinion Chill re them doing a lot for the UK, commonwealth. As far as having a resurgence in popularity stakes. I suppose with all the media and press it would be impossible for them not to, at least according to what the press and media say.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Chill37 wrote:As you can clearly understand I cannot speak for the Mods on the site. But on my site, if a board member complains then yes I will send a PM/Email to the poster that a compalint has been made against and we start to bring a resolution about.

Indeed, that's how it works on other sites apparently, that I am on. It's a good system.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Charly on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I thought you disagreed with posters going to the 'headmaster'?
Then you say its a good system?
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Chill37 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

UP THE DALE wrote:
Chill37 wrote:
Irishman wrote:This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

Not often I agree with you Irish, but on this occasion I do agree.

The Royals do a lot for the UK. Not to mention the Commonwealth. You can clearly say they have had a re-surgent in the popularity stakes.

That's your opinion Chill re them doing a lot for the UK, commonwealth. As far as having a resurgence in popularity stakes. I suppose with all the media and press it would be impossible for them not to, at least according to what the press and media say.

Yes it is my view.

And i think their resurgence goes far beyond the press and media. You only have to have looked at the thosands of people cheering at the Jubilee Events . I think its just more than media that produced thoses numbers.


Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 742
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Charly wrote:I thought you disagreed with posters going to the 'headmaster'?
Then you say its a good system?

It's a good system if it works like how Chill explains it. It's not a good thing for people to be able to say things about others, and then the person who is being complained about, not having a clue what's being said about them.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Charly on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:21 pm

In the newsletter it says..."In your own case, we have tried to give you the 'heads-up' via PM."
So Admin has contacted you it seems.
avatar
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : Wardle

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Chill37 wrote:
UP THE DALE wrote:
Chill37 wrote:
Irishman wrote:This child isn't born yet and you have it on the civil list, several members of the Royal family will not be alive when this child grows up and therefore off the civil list.

Nothing political about the Royal family, they are here full stop and they bring more money into this country even before they are born, ask British Airways, the amount of money brought into the country on the news of this child is already into thousands and he/she is not yet 8 week in the womb.

You need to chill Up The Dale or posters won't take you seriously enough to comment.

Not often I agree with you Irish, but on this occasion I do agree.

The Royals do a lot for the UK. Not to mention the Commonwealth. You can clearly say they have had a re-surgent in the popularity stakes.

That's your opinion Chill re them doing a lot for the UK, commonwealth. As far as having a resurgence in popularity stakes. I suppose with all the media and press it would be impossible for them not to, at least according to what the press and media say.

Yes it is my view.

And i think their resurgence goes far beyond the press and media. You only have to have looked at the thosands of people cheering at the Jubilee Events . I think its just more than media that produced thoses numbers.


On the turn out for the Jubilee events, most people did not bother turning out for them, and similarly the vast majority of us antis di nothing to oppose, just enjoyed the extra holiday. Smile

We will never really know how much support there is for or against the monarch until a full referendum is held, and that won't happen until far more MPs want it, which won't happen for a long time, as most are establishment supporters.

We will never agree on this matter, Chil, but no problem, debate is good. Smile
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  past it on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I have nothing against posts that become political or start political. I don't think a non-political person exists, certainly not on this forum. There are many posts which comment on happennings local and national and lurking within them is a political animal.
Unless posts become libellous, personal, sexual,threatening or simply obnoxious leave them alone. I have not read anything on the story line or dolphins because I don't want to.
There is nothing wrong with healthy argument and most people on this forum seem capable of defending themselves.
One other option is to have a two tier forum. We can have Mrs Dales Diary on one and X rated stuff on the other. Caveat Emptor.

past it
Crew
Crew

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-09-07
Location : Heywood

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Charly wrote:In the newsletter it says..."In your own case, we have tried to give you the 'heads-up' via PM."
So Admin has contacted you it seems.

I have had three (3) pms from the Admin, all regarding questions I asked them about puled posts of mine.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  UP THE DALE on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm

past it wrote: I have nothing against posts that become political or start political. I don't think a non-political person exists, certainly not on this forum. There are many posts which comment on happennings local and national and lurking within them is a political animal.
Unless posts become libellous, personal, sexual,threatening or simply obnoxious leave them alone. I have not read anything on the story line or dolphins because I don't want to.
There is nothing wrong with healthy argument and most people on this forum seem capable of defending themselves.
One other option is to have a two tier forum. We can have Mrs Dales Diary on one and X rated stuff on the other. Caveat Emptor.

Well said.
avatar
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Posts : 623
Join date : 2012-09-05
Location : ROCHDALE

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Spartacus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I found the Dolphin post informative and continue to follow it.

Even though I do not take part in a lot of the debates and threads I still enjoy watching most of them. I like the rich variety of members we have on this forum and the fact that we can and do discuss a wide range of subjects.

I dislike it when members snipe at one another and get personal.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Posts : 325
Join date : 2012-09-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum