Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

+13
past it
UP THE DALE
Jeanie
Atlas
keithatrochdale
Spartacus
Aqualung
Mulldog
teamplayer2
Charly
Chill37
southernbelle
Admin
17 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Old Regulator Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am

Yes folks as Idi Admin says with the help of an upgrade to my screen reader this site is a great deal more user friendly for me, cheers all round do I hear? If anyone is wondering how a blind person accesses a computer I am more than willing to answer any questions, a new thread could be the best way, just a thought. Great news there’s yet another steam train due through Rochdale so over to the much loved ‘steam stuff’ thread I go.

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Charly Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 am

Glad you're up and running Frank Very Happy
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:03 am

Old Regulator wrote:Yes folks as Idi Admin says with the help of an upgrade to my screen reader this site is a great deal more user friendly for me, cheers all round do I hear?

If anyone is wondering how a blind person accesses a computer I am more than willing to answer any questions, a new thread could be the best way, just a thought.

Great news there’s yet another steam train due through Rochdale so over to the much loved ‘steam stuff’ thread I go.

cheers C H E E R S. Very Happy GOOD NEWS Smile HOORAY Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Charly wrote:Glad you're up and running Frank Very Happy

Oh God, I thought we'd shaken him off. There goes the neighbourhood!

It'll all be chuff-chuffs from now on I suppose.

Well done Frank. Glad you managed to resolve it. It must be difficult being blind and only operating on a Sinclair Spectrum with a 64 mb RAM-pack and a TDK tape-cassette storage system that only works on steam.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Where there's a will Hinch, there's always a way!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's the link to Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop

Just click on it and it will download onto your computer. Then just follow the instructions which are simple, just click to accept terms and conditions etc.

There is also Firefox for your mobile phone too. If you follow the link above it will take you to the desktop version and you will see a tab which will take you to the Mobile version.

Once it is on your computer then use Firefox rather than internet explorer whenever you want to go onto the internet. The security on Firefox is safer than on internet explorer.

Once you have Firefox installed then you need to ADD "addblocker" - here's the link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/?src=search

Just click it and say goodbye to ads Smile

Firefox and Adblocker are a FREE service so don't worry about it costing you anything.

It was a bit confusing for me at first so don't worry if you think I'm speaking gobbledegook (which I probably am Smile )

Please PM me if you need any help.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Old Regulator..........Does Matron know you have sneaked onto yet another forum?
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:47 pm

southernbelle wrote:Old Regulator..........Does Matron know you have sneaked onto yet another forum?
she does now she found me money box smashed and dosh for upgrade spent. this reply with quote is good i could not use the one onRO forum

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 pm

This site is provided by the host free of charge to the forum admins, however, it costs money to provide it so how do they manage to offer it for free? Advertising pays for it, and if people are encouraged to block said adverts then in time if enough people block them there will be no income and the provision of the forum will disappear.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Journeaux wrote:This site is provided by the host free of charge to the forum admins, however, it costs money to provide it so how do they manage to offer it for free? Advertising pays for it, and if people are encouraged to block said adverts then in time if enough people block them there will be no income and the provision of the forum will disappear.

Or it might encourage companies to review the way they advertise which will not be a bad thing.

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 pm

The only way to make this type of free forum pay is to take the adverts others won't take, nothing you do will change that, it is the only way for this service to survive.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:12 am

To be honest, the adverts don't really bother me too much and, of course, this type of forum can only exist because of it.

The answer to me is simple; if you see anything you are interested in, click on. If not, ignore it.

The adverts that REALLY turn me off are those that tell me I've 'won' something when I haven't even entered anything.

The other sort of advert I detest are the pop-ups' and that is because I know that they are a particular problem for folk like the Old Regulator. T'internet should make their life easier not worse.

What I hope they won't allow on the forum is posters wanting to advertise their own businesses for free.

So many people think that t'internet is an inter-global free advertising service.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Regulator Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am

I have not had any problem with adverts on the new forum site, pop up blocker on in Outlook Express. Strange as it may seem on RO I actually read the ads and have benefitted from them. Conversely I only go on Ro once a day now to read the news whereas I visited several times a day for the community forum.

Hinch is correct though some websites, especially banks, are a complete mess for screen reader users. Now where’s that steam stuff thread gone?

Old Regulator
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Admin

Post  past it Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Reference those who have not come on to this forum from the ROL. I like most others I guess, picked up this forum from the message and link left by ROL. I used that link to access it. When the link disappeared I lost access. I emailed Hinch who kindly gave me a new link.
There may well be many who have not managed to find those links and if they do not discover them will not know this forum exists.
Apologies if all that is obvious I just thought I would tell you how I found it.

Last edited by past it on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm

We all tried to remember contact details for other members of RO, I know Irish at one time had a facebook account but I cant find him now.
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes Past It, it is a concern. I might approach RO about it but they may be understandably wary in case they are seen to be endorsing us in any way.

We will plug away at this issue though. Perhaps adding our web address to the sig line on our emails could help?

Perhaps you could find a way of giving out our address when sentencing offenders from the Bench your worship?

" I sentence you to three months imprisonment but suspend this for two years on the understanding that you subscibe to Rochdale Talk at https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk ?"

Just an idea.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 3 Empty Admin

Post  past it Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm

The Rochdale equivalent of Botany Bay. Might be worth a try!
There are some gaps on the forum I must admit. I particularly miss the reasoned conciliatory contributions from Home Thoughts for example and the non partisan views of Mr Hennigan. Some contributors could undoubtedly create controversy but they certainly generated comment.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:32 am

O not Home Thoughts! Surely? Come on. My brain won't stand it. Bring back Irshman that's what I say. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am

past it wrote: The Rochdale equivalent of Botany Bay. Might be worth a try!
There are some gaps on the forum I must admit. I particularly miss the reasoned conciliatory contributions from Home Thoughts for example and the non partisan views of Mr Hennigan. Some contributors could undoubtedly create controversy but they certainly generated comment.

We have had a very encouraging communication from Malcolm Journeaux on this issue and I will be in contact with him next week. I'm sure I won't be telling tales out of school when I say that he is very much interested in the forum concept and RO as a business did evolve from the one that he set up in his back bedroom years ago. He has let us fly away from RO but I know it was not an easy decision to make.

Letting us fly from the nest enables RO to concentrate more fully on its core business of designing and building websites, advertising and providing news. We have no formal links with them and neither are they on our Admin/Moderation panel. RO remains interested in all things to do with the borough of Rochdale.

Setting up this forum was the whole idea of some of the old RO Mods. We were not asked to do so by anyone at RO itself but I do know that Malcolm was pleased that we seized the initiative. We did it for purely selfish reasons when the thought of being left 'forumless' and without a voice left us in a panic and we set this up within hours of hearing that RO was discontinuing its own forums.

Anyway, expect positive and encouraging news in the week.

With regard to posters past and present Past It, remember, people who appear in the Members List may not necessarily be using their old RO forum names. It is not our job to 'out' anyone but don't be too sure that some of those you mention are not subscribers to this forum though I will confirm that as far as we are able to tell, Irish and Veritas are not currently members yet.

Expect a flow of new members over the next week or two.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am

Atlas wrote:O not Home Thoughts! Surely? Come on. My brain won't stand it. Bring back Irshman that's what I say. Wink

I must admit I do miss his posts/ramblings.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I bet Irish is missing us 2 as well Chill, who else has he got to have a go at? Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Hogwash Charly
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Now where have I heard that before? Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Charly wrote:I bet Irish is missing us 2 as well Chill, who else has he got to have a go at? Laughing
True.

I bet he has found pastures new. Such as arguing in an empty room! Laughing

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I bet any money he is lurking and reading this forum and waiting his moment for a grand entrance! Come on Irish, how many requests do you want?
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next