Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas TV

+5
southernbelle
Hinch
teamplayer2
cyfrifia
Poppyanna555
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christmas TV Empty Christmas TV

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 pm

I can't wait for this jolly Christmas TV schedule to end! I haven't seen anything worth viewing for at least a week and probably won't do until after the New Year. Tis the 'silly season' and I don't feel silly....I just want some serious viewing other than TOTP2 (dating back to the 70's), several variations of 'A Christmas Carol' (and similar) plus repeats, repeats, repeats.....Bah Humbug!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Christmas TV Empty Re: Christmas TV

Post  cyfrifia Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, they do seem to save up all the worst stuff as some sort of 'special treat' for Christmas telly. rendeer

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 am

Switch the telly off then and read a book or pay attention to your family and friends.

Play games but also visit the people who may be lonely at Christmas.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh good! When can Salty and I expect a visit from you to make our Christmas complete?

Frank was almost suicidal on the phone the other day because he felt so lonely. I had to talk him down from the ledge.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Ok then I will be round with a bottle of my best malt mate. Hold the fort.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

teamplayer2 wrote:Switch the telly off then and read a book or pay attention to your family and friends.

Entirely agree, and not just at xmas.
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:41 pm

The attention that most of my family requires tends to be of the psychiatric variety.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Christmas TV Empty Christmas TV

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Posted by Teamplayer

Switch the telly off then and read a book or pay attention to your family and friends.

How rude!! I was making an observation TP and your response was uncalled for and personal. How do you know that I am not lonely and, how do you know whether or not I visit my family?

For your information, unlike you I live alone BUT, I have just spent the last 2 days with my family but .... they don't live with me and have their own lives.

I (like everyone else on this Forum) am allowed to make general observations without being bludgeoned over the head by unkind remarks such as yours and, yes....I do read a book sometimes and I ALWAYS pay attention to my family! Evil or Very Mad

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 am

Well said Poppy. 'Alone` does not necessarily mean 'lonely'. Me and Mrs H have no kids but had a fab Christmas with friends and cats.

I agree, TV was dire. I liked Morecambe and Wise in the 70's but object to watching endless bloody repeats ad infinitum. Looking forward to new 'Yes Minister' later this month.

Mr Stink was very good.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm

In 1990 at Xmas, I had to move up from London as my Mum had cancer and spent all of Christmas in Springhill Hospice before dying in a mercifully comatose state on December 30th.

Last year, my friend was battling cancer all over Xmas but has now recovered... thankfully.

This year, I have another friend who has also had a very rough time of it and continues with treatment. Yet another friend has had to spend part of Christmas supporting a family member with a serious illness whist arranging a funeral for another.

Sometimes visiting the sick isn't really the most appropriate or best way to support them. We perhaps all have our Ghosts of Christmas Past. Sometimes, a card, a phone-call or an email is all that is required to lift the old spirits a tad and reach out in some way.

Yes, I did manage to watch some crap TV, read a book, get pissed, over-eat etc but doing all these AND also being a good friend or family member are not mutually exclusive. Neither should small gestures of empathy and compassion just be made in the festive season because we've had our consciences pricked.

Anyway, to anyone who has had to balance the Season of Joy and Goodwill with other, more onerous considerations, Hinch sends out his very best wishes.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Chill37 Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 pm

I only watched Doctor Who and Downton.

Rest was films recorded from Sky.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 pm

We ALWAYS watch 'Scrooge'; the old B/W version with Alistair Sim. (Can't stand the hand-tinted' version.)

Have been watching a lot of PBS lately. (Sky Channel 166) and also Quest on 167. Some great documentary programmes on both.

Fed up of Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, American Pickers, American Restoration etc. Talk about wringing the utmost out of an existing format. I hate Celeb shows and most cookery programmes also.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  southernbelle Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:14 pm

To Poppyanna,

I did not mean to be rude to you or anyone in agreeing with TPs post about TV. I am not a telly fan at anytime of the year and cannot abide soaps or stuff like "shameless" which to mind just brings into my house the sort of lowlifes I would cross the road to avoid. I know of many people for whom TV is a life line as they are housebound or choose not to go out after dark. That is entirely their choice, as it is mine not to watch.

As a child it was compulsive family veiwing to watch the Morecambe and Wise Christmas show, and to this day if is it on, I will watch it. But the TV went off afterwards and we played the games we had from Santa.

So apologies if I upset you or was offensive, it wasnt my intent at all. Smile
southernbelle
southernbelle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:39 pm

In our house, the TV was taken away on Xmas Eve and did not reappear until Boxing Day.

Sorry DH but I loved Shameless though the quality dipped after Series IV.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Shameless was an excellent production, but, really did re-enforce that sort of lifestyle in real life. Soaps, advertising and similar tv programs have a big effect on society and on behavior.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 pm

There have been umpteen studies on that over the decades but I think that the jury's still out. Does life imitate art or vice versa?

They had all this debate years ago when video nasties came out.

Undoubtedly, there will always be a tiny minority who find 'inspiration' in fictional narrative. Frederick Forsyth's book, 'Day of the Jackal' taught people how to obtain a passport from a death certificate; a loophole that has only recently been closed.

I loved the earlier series' of 'Shameless but was never tempted to live the lifestyle although working in North Manchester for many years, I did notice some types who would have made good extras without any need for coaching.

Many people love popular genres like war films and westerns but I can't say I've noticed any measurable impact on human behaviour because of this.

Anyway, the last series of Shameless is now in the can. There will be no more.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 am

Anyway, the last series of Shameless is now in the can. There will be no more.
(Hinch)

Which is exactly where it should have been dumped in the first place. There's taste and then there's 'taste'. That sort of rubbish is bound to leave a bad one which no amount of inoffensive mouthwash would eradicate. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 am

[quote="Poppyanna555"]Posted by Teamplayer

How rude!! I was making an observation TP and your response was uncalled for and personal. How do you know that I am not lonely and, how do you know whether or not I visit my family?

For your information, unlike you I live alone BUT, I have just spent the last 2 days with my family but .... they don't live with me and have their own lives.

I (like everyone else on this Forum) am allowed to make general observations without being bludgeoned over the head by unkind remarks such as yours and, yes....I do read a book sometimes and I ALWAYS pay attention to my family! :

Poppy

I was talking in general and just saying there are other things in life than just watching tv. I agree with you that the quality of tv is getting poor and getting worse each year.

However there are people who do have no choice and cannot get out because of one reason or other.

I would like to apologise to you if you thought if I was having a go at you and I was not. So I am deeply sorry but if you see me in a local pub tap me on the shoulder and I will buy a large drink as a very big apology.

I hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

TP
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanie Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:19 pm

I watched the Wizard of Oz yet again tonight but must say I really once again enjoyed it ! how sad am I Rolling Eyes
Jeanie
Jeanie
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Teamplayer/SB

Thank you for your responses, well, in an attempt to better my TV viewing choice I took the major decision to have a new Skybox installed just after Christmas, I also changed my telephone provider on the same day. This has resulted in my losing connection to my internet server and having to wait until the 7th for an engineer to check things out so, look what you've done to me TP! Sad

Joking apart, I can now appreciate that you meant no ill will and totally accept your apology, this is the trouble with written words, no body language can be seen and sometimes innocent comments can be misconstrued.

I am using a friends computer to write this message so I will sign off promptly now and I hope that you have had a nice Christmas and best wishes for the New Year (that goes for everyone else too).

Hopefully, I will be back online after the 7th, I hope so anyway as I am now suffering from withdrawal symptoms!! Very Happy
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

I moved up to BT Infinity fibre-optic broadband just before Xmas. Happy with it so far.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 am

Atlas wrote:Anyway, the last series of Shameless is now in the can. There will be no more.
(Hinch)

Which is exactly where it should have been dumped in the first place. There's taste and then there's 'taste'. That sort of rubbish is bound to leave a bad one which no amount of inoffensive mouthwash would eradicate. Wink

There's taste and there's "taste". E.g. there's your taste an my "taste"; that means different people find different things to their own "taste". You and many others may not have liked Shameless, but I and many others did. That's why there is such a variety of TV programmes, films, books, art etc.etc. Different tasted.
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm

My two very highly educated friends pride themselves on never watching the news or 'kitchen sink dramas' like Shameless, Boys from the Blackstuff, grim. Northern reality films etc. They say that life is too depressing as it is. They go for pure escapism every time.; 40's Hollywood 'film noir' being their favourite genre.

Instead, they immerse themselves in cookery programmes, QI, Sky At Night etc.

I like a bit of everything apart from soaps, celeb shows, Strictly, 'talent' shows etc.

I tend to watch stuff that is well written and produced, which Shameless certainly was in the first few series'. I think that the writing and plot-lines slid when they moved it up to a several-night-per week format as did Corrie.

I acknowledge that I am a very atypical TV viewer and most of the stuff I like is on BBC2, BBC4 or PBS. Radio 4 is my preferred listening though Jo Wiley and Desmond Carrington on R2 also float my boat as does Alan Beswick of Radio Manchester.

BTW Nicki, your profile picturedoes make you look as if you would be at home on the Carrington Estate. Very Happy
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Have to say, what really p*sses me off about Xmas TV sheduling are the endless re-runs of hackneyed 70's TOTP2, 'Morcambe & Wise' , 'Les Dawson'. 'Tommy Cooper', Xmas 'Specials' of the past including 'Porridge', 'Dad's Army', ''Some Mothers...' etc with cut-ins from current day celebs, 'recalling' their favourite M&W sketch when they weren't even born at the time it was first shown. (Yet another transparent vehicle for advancing the cult of celebrity.)

Don't get me wrong, like SB, I was weaned on a TV diet of M&W thoughout the late 60's and 70's. I found it good at the time but I'm buggered if I want to spend every Xmas until I die watching M&W strutting their stiff with the unamusing Hannah Gordon, Angela Rippon, Andre Previn etc.

As for explaining it all to my grandkids who find it totally boring and unfunny, well...

Why don't the BBC accept that these things are time-limited and not everyone wants to spend the festive season with the 'Ghosts of Christmas Past' whilst forking out a fortune in Licence Fees. If they are so keen to fill our schedules with 40-year old programmes, why not charge us the licence fee from 40 years ago at the same time? After all, we have already paid thge original production costs umpteen times over!

In any case, there are dozens of digital channels where these things can be replayed ad nauseum without cluttering up our so-called premier channels.

It is cheap TV and a scandalous misuse of our fees at a time when they are shovelling it into the pockets of a growing queue of soon-to-be ex-Director Generals.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  nickih Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Hinch wrote:

BTW Nicki, your profile picturedoes make you look as if you would be at home on the Carrington Estate. Very Happy

I'm pretty sure I would Very Happy
nickih
nickih
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next