Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

+13
past it
UP THE DALE
Jeanie
Atlas
keithatrochdale
Spartacus
Aqualung
Mulldog
teamplayer2
Charly
Chill37
southernbelle
Admin
17 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  Hinch Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 pm

I get it from Home Brew . Oldham Rd, Middleton. Great range and always 3-4 free samples in the keg to try out.

We go to North Norfolk a lot and the Woodeford's range tastes as good in the kit as it does in the pub... and I can be VERY picky with my real ale.

The shop gives great advice & support and will order any kit in for you. It closes on Sunday & Monday. Best brew shop since Harold Washburn on Halifax Road closed down.

Boots stopped doing home brew a few years ago but I believe Wilkinsons do it.

The Woodeford kits use malt extract only so you only have to use 100gms of sugar to condition and get a far maltier finish. Usually ready to sup two weeks after you finish secondary fermentation but its better to give it 3 weeks.

I used to use Boots Superbrew years ago but Woodefords are even better.

Am thinking of doing a barley wine next and leaving it for 3 months.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: Read the latest Newsletter posted January 26th 2014

Post  past it Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Admin wrote:Sadly, but by unanimous agreement of all four Mods, UTD's account has now been suspended for two months until 05/02/13

The reasons have been fully explained on this thread.

I respect the views of admin and the moderators ,but I am sorry to see UTD suspended. Ref my last post,where is the line drawn between overt political comment and covert comment?
It is plain for any reasonable peruser of this forum to note that there are those with political messages who are perhaps more careful in what they write but clear in what they mean.
As I ended in my last post. I would leave things alone. Caveat emptor.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am

Nobody is more sorry than I to suspend anyone but we have been inundated with concerns/complaints from 7-8 unrelated sources. Most worrying of all was the fact that posters were no longer posting because they either felt intimidated or no longer felt able to use the forum for recreation as even the lightest threads suddenly became embroiled in a polemic.

Anyway, after umpteen complaints we felt bound to intervene.

Our main objective is to provide a forum where all feel welcome and we want to build it up so that we can become Rochdale's Number 1 meeting place. More a coffee shop or a comfortable bar than a bear-pit.

Examining my own role; I think that my fault may have been to be far too open about it and explain the Mod's reasons with particular care. 'Too much information' as they say, is not always a good thing but I wanted us to be as open as possible. With hindsight, probably a mistake.

Perhaps after this, if we are forced to make a similar decision in the future, we will follow RO's example and just fall back on 'The Mods' decision is final' defence and refuse to explain ourselves.

There has been much talk about agendas. Well, the 7-8 complaints raised gave evidence that all people want to do is to come on here, discuss and debate a subject without having someone else's view rammed forcibly down their throat with a size 10 and be ridiculed or left feeling intimidated when their views are challenged rather too forcibly for comfort.

These are not my views but a summing up of the concerns raised. I like a good, heated debate from time to time and have no problem fighting my corner but I also come on here for fun and relaxation. Clearly, the views of many posters was that these commodities were becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Barely a day passed when I wasn't coming in from work, sitting down at my PC and having to deal with the latest concerns. It was becoming almost a job rather than a hobby.

I like UTD and hope he will come back when his suspension is over. He is obviously a man who is deeply passionate on many issues and I respect that. There are many forums and internet groups where he can express himself to his hearts desire. I am a member of some of these myself.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Irishman Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Well Admin I have yet to read anything on the forum that Up The Dale has written that would upset me, maybe I'm just not easily upset.

The Dolphin thread I did not post on basically because I don’t know enough about to have views on and I’m sure few other posters who didn’t post on it felt the same. I don’t reply or comment on all threads but I respect the right of other posters to start threads that mean something to them.

I don’t find it difficult to live with Up The Dale at all and would never make a complaint on any other poster unless I felt the posts were unsavoury or indeed seriously threatening, sorry but that too me isn’t Up The Dale, he may be a pilock but a harmless pilock.

Not altogether happy about emotional blackmail, you know the kind, (if you don’t ban a poster I’m off not writing on the forum again), they need to grow up.

I think the ban should be lifted.

Irishman
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm not getting involved, I'm happy enough to leave it up to Admin and the mods.
Admin rules ok! Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm

I might not always agree with UTD but I do respect his views and passion.

I am surprised to learn there were so many forum members who felt so strongly about his posts on threads.

Two months does seem a tad harsh.

Perhaps the Elves will grant a Christmas Pardon rendeer

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

No chance. His account will automatically be reinstated in 55 days. The Mods decision is final.

I'm afraid it's a 'Red Cove Day'!

As for Irishman's thick skin, I can assure you it is of recent origin. He used to flounce off RO regularly when the kitchen became too hot for him.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Admin wrote:No chance. His account will automatically be reinstated in 55 days. The Mods decision is final.

I'm afraid it's a 'Red Cove Day'!

Laughing

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Well, the forum had it's first night out at The Baum last night. Company great, weather foul and food unusually disappointing given the usual high standard. Still, what do you expect for £15.00 per throw?

Highlight of the night was watching Jeanie's face as she struggled with her parsnip soup. My haddock and blackpudding was a bit uninspiring and dried up.

Don't worry The Baum, we have not given up on you. Everyone can have an off-night and the ordinary menue is the best of its type. Have had loads of great meals and fab drinks there. Wine list needs a bit of work.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Rochdaletalk Forum Newsletter Number 8
Posted December 9th 2012

Hello again.

Only a short newsletter this week. Nothing really to report that has not already been posted and no further Mods reports I'm afraid. Been there, done that and got my tee-shirt covered in shite to prove it.

We did this in good faith but it has been turned into a bit of a feeding frenzy. We have locked this sticky but if you have any issues re moderation them please PM me and I will try to ensure that they are dealt with promptly.

As we said when we started the forum, we will suck it and see. Some things work and some things don't and having the Mods as some kind of Aunt Sally to chuck things at was never the intention when we set out to be more open.

We accept that you may not always agree with the Mods but our decisions are final. No point having Mods otherwise and unmoderated forums are a bit ofa bear-pit in which everyone shouts but the majority don't get heard.

Forum stats continue to look good but we still need to build up membership.

I love the speech from Simon Danczuk in Parliament in which he describes the local rag as 'The People's Champion. Pity they didn't speak out re the Cyril Smith thing years ago. Something might have actually been achieved. Easy to roar like a lion when any would-be litigant has died. Likewise, the Alderglen bonded-labourers might too have welcomed their championship at the time.

We had our first night out at The Baum on Thursday last. Weather was vile and the food was uninspiring. Still, the company was good.

Have opened up a new section where people can post tips on good bargains to be had in the shops and on t'internet etc.

In the meantime, enjoy what is left of your weekend. Mrs Admin is putting the tree upas we speak and I must rush offand supervise the procedings and perchance purloin a mince pie or three.

Idi Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Newsletter No 10
Posted December 23rd 2012
Hello again.

I suppose I should say something uplifting but I won't. I'll just wish all Members and Watching Ones a very merry Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year from Admin and the Mods.

Forum traffic has fallen off a bit in the last week as predicted by Atlas. Hopefully, it's just a seasonal thing although we are still not attracting new members.

I note on one thread some speculation re a Member's identity. Speculate away. We allow all posters the choice to use a nom de plume.

The image of the town continues to nosedive as the Ofsted report is made public and the incompetence of the council and some of its officers - past and present, is displayed to the world.. Still, at least with a new and so far, decent CEO, there does seem to be a genuine will to change the culture. Time will tell how successful this is.

Me and Mrs Admin hope to have a few days R&R and are looking to our usual Boxing Day 'Fur & Feather' event together with a good afternoon's hare-coarsing. Sadly, the lunatic fringe has virtually driven this most traditional of English sports underground.

Thanks to you all for making the forum a success., We couldn't have done it without you.

Have a GREAT 2013 when it comes.

Idi Admin
[code]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Newsletter No 11
Posted February 4th 2013

Short newsletter this time. Happy New Year everyone.

Only one user banned. (Blatent advertising for fitted kitchens.)

We currently have no users suspended. Whether they choose to return is a matter for them.

Number of new users disappointing but forum seems lively enough.

One complaint we have had is that a lot of the thread titles say very little about the content and can make it look boring. So please, can you give some thought to this when starting a new one? Thread titles such as, 'A little bit of information' or 'Wrong again' tell us sod all and don't exactly set prospective members alight! (Obviously, I made the last two titles up but I'm sure you get the picture. The title should be a clear indicator of what the thread is about.

Reading the Little Bit of Humour thread, I understand Past It's point but I think on the whole, the odd rude joke and an expletive here and there seems reasonably acceptable to most of us. Humour is an individual thing. I think that today, Oliver Hardy slipping on a banana skin would provoke howls of indignation from those who object to obese people being the butt of humour and also the Health and Safety brigade for making light of a potential serious hazard. Still, all complaints are taken seriously so if you are unhappy with something, please get in touch.

Mind you, TP2 is pushing the envelope with his latest offering.

Rude, not crude remember!

Idi Admin.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

Newsletter Number 12
Posted January 27th 2014

Well, long time since the last newsletter but there are some important changes coming that I need to share, The reasons for these are outlined on the 'Use it or lose it' thread started by Atlas.

The Moderation team have considered various options; Forum, Blog, Facebook, Twitter etc and also an emagazine format. We want a well used and lively forum to be at the heart of whatever we do. We are also TOTALLY committed to maintaining the spirit of the old Rochdale Online forum with moderation kept as light as possible and genuine open debate being positively encouraged. We have only ever barred one poster; (Apart from advertising spammers) and we want to continue that tradition. We also want to tempt dormant posters back. We know you are still out there as we read the Stats.

There are loads of sites and pages based on the Borough but virtually all of them discourage what is called ''negativity' and both Chill and JohnB have fallen foul of this sort of 'thought-crime' in recent weeks. We will continue to support free speech and free expression and that is writ large in our philosophy. We have chosen a new, snappier name and thanks to the generosity of a sponsor, are going to get a logo designed and acquire a domain name.

The present hosts of this site, Forumotion are very flexible in what they can offer but, to be honest, we have never really explored the various options and I think we could make this a far more attractive site with very little cost and effort.

Mostly, we want YOUR ideas. What would YOU like to see us include? We certainly need far broader content than we have at the moment if we are to attract active posters.

We are keeping our new name under wraps for now, but will be able to share more when we get a logo and system sorted. We would like sponsors with your name going up in a prominant position on the site. We would also like input from all you IT-literate types. Our aim is to remain a non-commercial, not-for-profit site, but it might be nice to cover our costs.

If you have ideas or criticism, no matter how severe, send a PM to Admin or share it on the 'Use it or lose it' thread.     If you are a Member but never post, tell us why not.     Go on, lets have it with both barrels. We can take it!    Perhaps you would like to get involved?      No sensible offer refused.  

We all live or have an emotional tie-in to a town that has long been afraid to take a long, honest look at itself. There is so much that is good in the place but so much that could be improved. Read the book by Girl A if you dont believe me.

Thank you all once again for your patience, input and forebearance,

Idi Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9