Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend

+8
anexium
Jackspratt
Atlas
jeannep2
johnb
Charly
teamplayer2
Hinch
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Empty Re: Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend

Post  Atlas Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 am

I remember it as the Regal. Poshest flea-pit in town - and the dearest. Always did the Regal, Rialto, Palace and Empire and sometimes the Hipperdrome if I could afford it every week. But that was then -. Crying or Very sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Empty Re: Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend

Post  Chill37 Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

Ive only ever seen pictures of some of the cinemas you have listed. Although I do vaguely recall the cinema at top of Drake Street getting demolished. Was that the Rialto?

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, very posh once with a lovely cafe downstairs that closed in the late 50's. The cinema was renamed the Odeon in the early 60's. There was also the Ceylon which I am sure Atlas remembers. Pulled doen long ago but its name lives on in the Ceylon Filling Station on the site where it once stood. I quite liked the Palace on Nelson Street though it was a bit of a flea-pit. Owned by Essoldo. Also the Empire of course which did a Saturday matinee for 3d but that later went up to a tanner (6d) but was still cheaper than the Regal (ABC) which was 9d.

The Victory, (Now Worldwide Cash & Carry) was the closest one to out house. I remember seeing Gunga Din there, Pork Chop Hill and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I was a proud member of the ABC Minors Club and still remember the song to the tune of 'Blaze Away'. Still have my luminous member's badge.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm

We are the boys and girls well known as
minors of the ABC
and every Saturday all line up
to see the films we like to
shout about with glee
we like to laugh and have
a sing song
just a happy crowd are we
we're all pals together
we're minors of the ABC
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

That's the one. We sang it to a film on screen and shouted out 'ABC' on the last line. Such fun.

As well as cartoons and a seriel such as Batman or some dated Gene Autrey stuff there was always a feature film from the Childrens Film Foundation (CFF) which started with the scene of a fountain in Trafalgar Square.

There are a few CFF films on DVD but I hear that all their stock is to be restored over the next few months.

We used to go to the ABC on Saturday morning and the Empire in the afternoon.

Being a kid was such a pleasurable affair in those days. Looking at those poor kids on Panorama last night on the Shadsworth estate in Blackburn, they seem to have so little joy in their lives by comparison.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:50 pm

I remember Flash Gordon and the hissing and booing as the baddies came on scene.
There was also the shouting and stamping of feet as the cowboys or the cavalry rode to the rescue of someone being surrounded by the indians
Hi Ho Silver Away!
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Empty The Rialto

Post  anexium Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I bought a painting of the Rialto off a friend of mine (local artist Jenny Driver) the other week. I'll take a photo of that too and stick it up with the pictures from the Regal.
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

http://www.anexium.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Great idea anexium.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rochdaletalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm

I'd love to see those cinema photos myself. I once dated a girl who worked in the Regal and was hoping to see the flat for myself but it never quite materialised. cyclops
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Life can be so disappointing at times Mulldog.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

hinch wrote:Life can be so disappointing at times Mulldog.

I consoled myself with a selection of Real Ales so not all bad. drunken
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes, Wetherspoons isn't really my style of drinking but the beers are good and usually in excellent form.

Great if you are in a strange town and want to be certain of a great pint.

Come to think of it, Rochdale is a VERY strange town.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:16 am

hinch wrote:Yes, very posh once with a lovely cafe downstairs that closed in the late 50's. The cinema was renamed the Odeon in the early 60's. There was also the Ceylon which I am sure Atlas remembers. Pulled doen long ago but its name lives on in the Ceylon Filling Station on the site where it once stood. I quite liked the Palace on Nelson Street though it was a bit of a flea-pit. Owned by Essoldo. Also the Empire of course which did a Saturday matinée for 3d but that later went up to a tanner (6d) but was still cheaper than the Regal (ABC) which was 9d.

The Victory, (Now Worldwide Cash & Carry) was the closest one to out house. I remember seeing Gunga Din there, Pork Chop Hill and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I was a proud member of the ABC Minors Club and still remember the song to the tune of 'Blaze Away'. Still have my luminous member's badge.

Yes Hinch the Ceylon was my Sat afternoon matinée at the grand price of one halfpenny. An ice lolly was also one halfpenny = making one penny in total. That was one third of my weekly spence gone in a trice. After that I switched my allegiance to the Pavilion which by then had risen to one penny for Sat matinée and later the Kings which had then risen (yet again by the mid 50s)) to sixpence. Inflation you see - grinds us all down.
By the way the Rialto changed its name to the Gaumont prior to the Odean - but hey so what. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:31 pm

I only ever remember the two cinemas, the Odeon at the top of Drake Street, and the ABC. Did the Odeon shut down in the early 80's and ABC in the mid 80's?
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Empty Photos

Post  anexium Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am

Firstly, apologies for these going up a bit late. Secondly apologies for the poor quality of these photos. I was trying to focus in near darkness with a finickity lens and a weak flash... Anyhow, enough of the excuses, here's the photos -

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-01
Where the seats used to be.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-02
One of the roof fixtures.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-03
Another of the roof fixtures.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-04
Another of the roof fixtures.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-05
One of the now broken mirror wall fixtures.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-06
Different shot of the roof fixtures.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-07
Some of the broken fixtures left to rot.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-08
The heavy duty plumbing for the air conditioning.

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Regal-09
One of the orignal windows on the internal staircase.

And now a couple of shots of what'll be no doubt in next years heritage tours (both shot from the town flats).

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Rfsc-le
The Rochdale Sixth Form College (and Asda carpark).

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Town-hall-le
The Town Hall.

I'll get a decent shot of the Rialto painting this weekend and get that up on Monday.
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Some great memories there. I remember the plaster mouldings and the colours.

Also some great memories of snogging in those seats with various girlfriends in the 60's.

First film I remember seeing there was The Wizard of Oz which gave my nightmares for weeks.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Heritage Open Days Weekend - Page 2 Empty The Rialto

Post  anexium Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:42 pm

At the People's Art exhibition currently on at Touchstones my friend Jenny Driver is displaying one of her paintings of The Rialto cinema. Think it runs until the end of October.
anexium
anexium
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 pm

anexium wrote:At the People's Art exhibition currently on at Touchstones my friend Jenny Driver is displaying one of her paintings of The Rialto cinema. Think it runs until the end of October.

I am going there tomorrow. I also have a picture in the Peoples Art Exibition. Just a photograph which I have taken and developed myself. Nothing special. Though a few years back I manage to sell one of my pictures there along with a few more copies. Always like entering and seeing the rich art talent we have in the borough of Rochdale.

I will look out for your friends painting.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:34 pm

I did'nt know you did your own developing TP
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Only when I am entering shows or competitions Charly. Also some I may develope for a few relatives or friends on occasions. Did a wedding photo shots a few weeks back, but had them developed at the photographers because there was so many, but inks are getting expensive so intend to use my own for shows or competitions.

Won a few prizes on and off over the years. Nothing special. Though it came as a shock at the Peoples art show once when I sold a picture and was not one of my best. But! That is life.

Last edited by teamplayer2 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Charly wrote:I did'nt know you did your own developing TP

I keep getting spam adverts for those developers Charly but I don't think they've got anything to do with photography.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

What spam is that? Keep getting a funny pop up on here saying I have won a mobile phone on occasions.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Now got a pop up saying I have won an IPOD.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Just ignore them TP, they are always a scam
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  teamplayer2 Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Never open them charly. I did by mistake a while back. Played havoc with my computer. Anyway how are you these days. Keeping well I hope.
teamplayer2
teamplayer2
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2