Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Whole-life' jail terms

+3
Chill37
keithatrochdale
Atlas
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

'Whole-life' jail terms - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Whole-life' jail terms

Post  Chill37 Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:30 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:
Chill37 wrote:

No I wouldnt change my mind from life is life to a death sentence.  I would want them away for the rest of their days in a sparse prison.  Removed from society.  

But that will not happen. They will be fed, clothed, have TV and probably xbox in their cell. Heath treatment, dental care, no bills to pay. Yes it must be hard! They will continue to live, something Lee Rigby is not allowed to do!

And how quickly will parole be considered. Maybe they will appeal and be let off on a technicality.

Maybe they will be taken to town for day release like the other murderer the other day. QUOTE: Police are urging people to be cautious if they suspect they recognise a convicted murderer who has absconded whilst on day release with prison staff in Rochdale town centre.

Again, I believe life is life never to be seen again, not even reported on 'til the day they die and go to hell.

I find it highly unlikely they wil get off on a technical issue. I suspect an appeal will be lodged and duly thrown out.

As for the person who got let out and then did a runner.  I'm just waiting for the disgusting 'lessons will be learnt' claptrap to be trotted out.

Chill37
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalelad Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:39 pm

keithatrochdale wrote:So how many millions is it going to cost us to house these guests?  confused 

This is a very good way of saving money.  cheers 

Maybe you would change your mind if it was somebody from your family!  farao

1) A few million
2) If it's saving money you want then let's get rid of all courts of justice and let all defendents fight in a big ring to prove their innocence. You could sell tickets.
2) Hopefully not, but then that's why we have independent juries isn't it? To remove emotion from the judgement. The problem is, once the criminal is dead, the murder victim is also still dead. Revenge won't bring them back. Plus in this case you'd also make a couple of martyrs, whhich may encourage others to follow in their footsteps.
Dalelad
Dalelad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I know that "How would you feel if a member of your family was murdered?" is supposed to be a 'killer question' and of course, I'd probably want to string them up with my bare hands. However, this is exactly why we need a fair, dispassionate, legal system to take the emotion out of it and to administer justice.

I can quite understand Keith and others who feel differently. I too was a believer in CP years ago but I've seen far too many miscarriages of justice over the years to be a fan Plus I totally abhor the taking of human life in this dreadful way. To judicially execute a fit, healthy person in their 20's or 30's is anathema to me and conflicts totally with the reason I decided to become a nurse.

I am however, a believer in a system that restores imprisonment as a real deterrent although I think that the picture painted by the Daily Mail of a glorified holiday camp has little to do with reality. Ten years for murder does seem unduly lenient and is no deterrent.
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Another prisoner to be given a whole life sentence recently was Joanna Dennehy, who killed three men and nearly killed another two, before she was stopped.

Ms. Dennehy was diagnosed as a psychopath well before the murders. What is the meaning of the diagnosis 'psychopath'? how does it differ from 'homicidal maniac'?

Of course we want to be kind to people with mental disorders, but is it acceptable to have people with the diagnosis of 'psychopath' living freely and anonymously amongst the community?

http://www.herefordtimes.com/resources/images/2828453.jpg?type=articlePortrait

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:56 am

It is to do with numbers. People with serious mental disorders which may result in 'a danger to the public' are supposed to be on a medical regime to keep such disorders in check. All well and good, providing such medication is taken and the system is proactive. The number that slip the net are small and result in a small number of tragedies - which is what we see on our daily news bulletins - and are a 'manageable' amount for 'society' to handle. In other words, it's cheaper than bringing back the lunatic asylums. Simples really.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2